Help Needed! Crusting round spots appearing on my bully's fur??? Pls Help!

OP
T

tjoylive1

May 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dinah
Hi there, we finally go our Dinah to the vet and the spots ended up being a result of a yeast and bacterial infection on her skin. ( I posted a little bit more info (meds)) in the main thread if you'd like to read it. Hope this helps you with finding out what's the matter with your JJ:) They are so sweet and I can't stand to see them be the least bit uncomfortable, good luck!!:D

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Glad she's doing better, thanks for her update!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
I can tell you, anyone experiencing this, is that this is staph, related to allergies, most likely, environmental. Out poor guy breaks out with this every 2-4 months, and unfortunately the only thing that helps him is cefpoxdomine antibiotic - clears it up in 2 days usually though minimum he's on it for 14 days, 1x a day. (He's been on allergy shots now for 8 months and they're helping minimally) Also just started trying Claritin 10 mg 1x a day instead of Benedryl and I see a huge difference in his eye boogers already.

If you google staph infections and allergies in dogs, you will find a lot of information - there are two types, this one, with the scaly round patches (and not contagious) and the pus-y oozy kind.

A shampoo I use and helps clear the scales and smells great with no further skin irritation is Etiderm. :) I've tried a lot of things and that shampoo blows all the others away, including Malaseb, to me.

I wish this post could be stickied or something, bc I see this question a lot here, and I have spent so much money on this, I'd like people to know what they are dealing with and that they do need to go to vet bc it does not go away once it gets bad. I don't bother with topicals anymore for it, the baths alone help best I think.

katiepritchard

Jun 27, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. RJ Mater "Mater"
Hello! I am new to this site just happen to find it while researching this exact thing I think!My poor guy has had it off and on for the last year or so... back and forth to the vet, they have not be able to determine what it is. Coincidently he is on the purina beniful healthy radiance! I think that just may be it. we have changed a few times in this life, he's 6. Last year whatever we switched him off of or the medicine took care of it for awhile. This is the medication my vet finally decided on VETRIMEC 1% Anyone familiar with this???I have decided rather than go back the rounds with it all the back and forth, scraping, testing, blood, everything I may switch him foods. Suggestions that is not going to coast a fortune??? I love my bully but there is a $ limit lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello! I am new to this site just happen to find it while researching this exact thing I think!My poor guy has had it off and on for the last year or so... back and forth to the vet, they have not be able to determine what it is. Coincidently he is on the purina beniful healthy radiance! I think that just may be it. we have changed a few times in this life, he's 6. Last year whatever we switched him off of or the medicine took care of it for awhile. This is the medication my vet finally decided on VETRIMEC 1% Anyone familiar with this???I have decided rather than go back the rounds with it all the back and forth, scraping, testing, blood, everything I may switch him foods. Suggestions that is not going to coast a fortune??? I love my bully but there is a $ limit lol

Hi hi and welcome to EBN..... getting him on a good food is key, keep in mind the more you pay for a high quality food, the less you are at the vet and buying medicine. With that said, a large bag of high quality food runs about $70, but will last about 6 weeks because you do not feed as much kibble. We feed Fromm grain free Pork and Peas, and since we can easily switch between flavors woot transition, I also use Lamb and Lentil and Beef Frittata flavors. Other good foods are Earthborn, Origen, arcana, and taste of the wild.

good luck and please keep us posted

Members online

No members online now.