dragging toes

gjboor89

May 19, 2014
Beaumont Texas
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
undecided
my 9 week old pup drags his front toes when he walks. it has gotten to the point where the nails are worn down till they are bleeding and his toe pads are bright red from dragging them.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I m sorry I don't have any experience with this, hopefully someone who does will come along soon to offer some advice. I would take him to the vet, and have him checked out. I did look it up for you, and this is what I found. I hope it helps, and it's nothing serious. Please keep us updated.

My Dog is Dragging the Top of His Paws

Dogs don't shuffle. They don't even appreciate the concept of cool. Therefore, if your dog is dragging the tops of his paws when he walks, there is definitely something wrong. Usually this represents something known as a proprioceptive deficit. This is similar to the feeling we get when our legs “fall asleep.” In dogs, it is always a sign of some form of neurological problem and should be evaluated by a veterinarian, preferably a neurologist.

What to Look For

Start by observing your dog closely as he walks toward you, then away from you. Look for evidence of unsteadiness or any unevenness of gait. Watch as each paw strikes the ground. Evaluate both your dog's way of carrying himself as a whole and, more specifically, the way he holds his head.

Next, stand him beside you and, one at a time, lift each paw and place it on the ground “knuckled under.” His normal response should be to immediately lift the paw and replace it correctly, pads down. Finally, perform an ocular exam like the one outlined in “My Dog's Eyes Are Red” and a spinal exam like the one included in “My Dog Is Stiff” [not available online].

What to Do

Answer the following questions to figure out what to do based upon what you found:

Does your dog's sense of balance seem abnormal? Paw dragging can be caused by poor balance. Refer to “My Dog Keeps Losing His Balance” for advice on how to evaluate and deal with balance issues.
Does your dog appear to be favoring one limb in particular? If the favored limb is also the one that your dog is dragging, examine it more closely for signs of pain, starting at the toes and working your way up to the body. If you find any point of tenderness, deal with it appropriately, but if there is no evidence of pain or discomfort, the problem is probably neurological.

Did your ocular exam reveal any evidence of neurological damage? Paw dragging can result from a variety of intra- cranial events such as hemorrhage, stroke, or tumor growth. Seek help from your veterinarian if you suspect any of these.
Did your spinal exam show any evidence of abnormalities? Intervertebral disc disease and spinal column problems can be the source of proprioceptive deficits that may be treatable. See your vet for advice.
Has your dog recently gotten into any unusual chemicals or medications? Since many toxins have a direct effect on the nervous system, it is common for exposure to a variety of substances to result in abnormal behaviors or neurological symptoms. Some may even cause temporary blindness.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
At such a young age, I would have him at the vet for an exam

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I agree with Christine. Take him in. It could be any number of things....but you want to make sure that it's not neurological or something along the lines of spina bifida.

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
Wow! I had no idea this could be such an issue. Daisy has always dragged her front paws like that when walking. Her 2 front toe nails are always stubby. That said it has never gotten to the point of bleeding or sore pads as described. Of course if she really wants to get somewhere then she picks them up & goes. I think for her it's just lazy.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.