Help Needed! Nose rope rash

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We have an urgent skin problem: Castor has quite suddenly developed a nasty moist rash under his nose rope. Although he has always been a bit wet in the other facial skin folds, his nose rope has been fine and we have never seen anything like this before. He doesn't seem to be in pain, but it looks bad.

We are treating it with douxo pads (with chlorhexidine). Is that right or is there anything else we should try?

Thanks.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes on the pads, it could just be allergies, have you any Benadryl?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes on the pads, it could just be allergies, have you any Benadryl?

Agreed.... Try Benedryl, or some form of antihistamine to less the issues. You can also use witch hazel on a cotton pad, if available to you

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep, I agree with the others. Clean with the pads and try to keep it dry.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Warm thanks for your replies! Benedryl isn't available here but there must be some other antihistamine dogs can use. I will look into that.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would not medicate with antihistamine right away. Just keep it clean and dry and if Desitin is awailable apply a thing coat of that or some other brand of diaper cream to keep the moisture away. The more sink the better, in my opinion.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I would not medicate with antihistamine right away. Just keep it clean and dry and if Desitin is awailable apply a thing coat of that or some other brand of diaper cream to keep the moisture away. The more sink the better, in my opinion.

Thanks - it is still a bit raw but not at all as nasty as a few days ago. We've got some zink oxide cream so will try that. Will it be absorbed if I apply a thin coat or should I remove it after a while?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks - it is still a bit raw but not at all as nasty as a few days ago. We've got some zink oxide cream so will try that. Will it be absorbed if I apply a thin coat or should I remove it after a while?

It'll absorb if you put a thin coat.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When the sore is healing, you can put Gold bond powder in his "rope". It is medicated and drying.(After you clean it up)

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thanks for quick replies and suggestions!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.