Incontinence in Elderly Bulldog

DukesMom

May 28, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hello All!

I am hoping some other bully owners might be able to offer some advice. I have a 12 year old male English Bulldog named Duke. He is in general good health, although in the past year or so his older age has been starting to show in that his back legs are weaker and his hearing and eyesight are not what they used to be. He eats well and still enjoys a very good quality of life as far as I can tell.

My question is this: In the past 3 months or so, Duke has begun having MANY accidents in the house. He is taken on walks throughout the day and let out numerous times, and is never left alone for too long without a walk. However, his new habit seems to be to urinate all over the house any time he is left alone, even for a little while. He has also begun waking us up approximately three times a night to go outside. I always get up with him no matter what time it is, and when he goes out, he only pees a little sprinkle, then comes back in. This then repeats a couple of hours later! If I don't get up with him right away, he will do his business in the house. We have had to begin to throw away rugs and a piece of furniture, and are not getting the best quality of sleep due to these new habits.

I have never had issues like this with Duke, and he hasn't had to use a crate since he was a puppy. I hate to put him in a crate now at his age, but it is looking like I might have to. Does this sound like an older dog who is just becoming incontinent? Or a possible health issue? I almost had a feeling it could be related to anxiety, due to the fact that he would urinate in the house if we went out even for an hour. His hearing and eyesight are not as sharp as they once were, and I was wondering if this could be causing him anxiety which could lead to all of the accidents. Just a hunch, but wondering if anyone has dealt with similar. We will be seeing the vet in a couple of weeks so I will bring it up with her as well.

Also, has anyone tried doggy diapers or the absorbent belly wrap with their bulldogs? Trying to think of alternatives to putting him in a crate, but worried about irritating his skin, too.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Amy

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I would have the vet check him out and rule out a UTI if he recently started the accidents. Maybe cut off his water supply at least two hours before bed so hopefully he will have drained his bladder by bed time. Is he still really active. This girl I know has a 10 almost 11 year old bully and she is not as active as Raven and she can really hold her pee for what seems like half a day without any issue.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, im so sorry youre going through this with Duke, and i dont have any experience with incontinence in dogs. I agree with your suggestions of it maybe being anxiety, since he only does it when he's alone. He could be more scared of things due to not being able to see or hear as well as he did before. It could also be that at his age he isn't able to hold his pee as long as he did before, but it could also be a UTI. Since you are already going to see the vet, I would bring up these issues with him, and he can test Duke for a possible UTI, to rule it out, and maybe he will have some suggestions to other possible causes, or he may have some treatments that might help. I also don't have any experience ith doggie diapers, but they could be a solution for the short times you are out during the day, and maybe during the night so you could get a better quality of sleep. The diapers shouldn't irritate the skin if they are used for short periods, and occasionally, and they are taken off when not needed. Please keep us posted on what the vet says, and I hope you get some answers and solutions to his incontinence problems. Sending love, hugs and prayers to you and Duke.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I am thinking a UTI also, so I would have him checked, plus never ever restrict water from a bully, or any dog for that matter. If he doesn't have a UTI, then you might look into the wrap. They make wraps for male dogs which works better than the diapers.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Hi, welcome to the site. I have experience with an elderly bulldog who lost both hearing and eye site. I had the same issue, Bulldozer would just pee where ever he was standing if I was gone or couldn't get to him quickly (or if it was raining or snowing). I came up with a system and maybe it would work for you - I used belly belts (buy the super big ones) with a thin feminine pad placed inside which would absorb any urine and keep his belly dry. At night or if I had to leave for anything more than a couple hours, I retrained him to use the pee pads. I got the scented ones because there was nothing wrong with his sense of smell and would place them in the same spot every day. He would pee on those while I was gone or at night. It worked for me and my sweet Bulldozer enjoyed his final years being COMPLETELY SPOILED.
So what if there were pee pads in the living room and the dining room - if people didn't like it, they didn't have to come over.

Rule out the UTI first and then figure out a way that will work. I'm here to help if you need anything.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
So sorry to hear about Duke, My last dog was a Boxer the love of my life as i write in tears his name was Duke and i was blessed to have him 17 years his last 2 years were hard on me and we hope we did good by him. The Belly Belt is a great idea for elderly dogs as they will need more and more support Bulldozersma gave excellent advice and always check with your vet first. Duke started his wee pees in the house when we moved some furniture around vet mentioned he maybe scenting since his eyes were not the most reliable in the evenings / shadow. Duke wore a diaper at night was embarrassed but tolerated it, I on the other hand kept checking constantly as i did not want his skin to be irritated so still not so much sleeping. This is what i signed on for and it only made our love stronger. We are here for you, Give Duke a hug and belly rub for me please.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHi Ron. Great advice. I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet Duke. Wow 17 years is a good old age for a Boxer, and a testament to the great Dad you were to Duke. I'm sure he felt and knew you loved him, and he loved you as we'll. They really are like our children, and a part of our family, and it's really hard to let them go, they take a big piece of our hearts with them, and leave a paw print on our hearts as well. RIP Duke, you were very loved, and will be missed.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.