From what I know the scanners work on ALL microchips, the chip Wally has also has a tag w/a number on it⦠that is where anyone can just google that number and our info comes up. I have a good friend that works in our local animal control, from what she has said they always scan a dog that comes into animal control (owner drop-off or stray). I honestly do NOT believe that vet clinics routinely scan dogs⦠IMO they should if it's a new client. You would THINK that they would just do this and question the results if somebody's of a different name would come up. Boggles my mind, I mean really what is the point?!!
OH and here's another thing that I heard⦠a van was found w/stray dogs that were actually stolen from homes. Inside of the van they found equipment that they use to REMOVE microchips from dogs

This wasn't in TN I don't believe, but we have had a rash of dog-nappings in our area in the warmer months. Scary...