ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Awesome news about Walter, so happy he is doing better and the the infection is under control. Since you are using Sentinel, you don't need anything for flea control unless you have a bad flea problem in your yard, because Sentinel will work on fleas too. We don't use any flea control for our bullies and they have never had a flea problem. Be careful with the Frontline, because I have had several friends use it on their bullies and they broke out bad from it. I would definitely not use a flea collar either. Give Walter a big hug from us. :)

I was thinking that too David about the Setinel… Fleas are REALLY bad here, but I've never had an issue w/my dogs. I've used Frontline on him once w/no problems… I may just hold off and see what happens.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Tracey, I'm so glad Walters vet visit went well, and he's up to date on everything, I'm glad to hear his limp is better too, so glad to hear he's improving. It's great that you had him microchipped, and it sounds like a great system, especially that there's no annual fee, and it sounds like its really easy to use. I'm not familiar with the flea collar, we use Revolution for heart worm, fleas, and ticks. It's a drop on the base of the neck once a month from June to Nov. Weve used this since they were puppies, and have never had any illness or side effects.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I didn't know they made them either, I think I saw an ad for cat flea collars but not dog. We used them on our pugs back in the 70's and they ate the fur off around their necks :(, that stopped real fast. I think they were made by Hartz.

I'm not using it… I remember those OLD flea collars, and the dogs would lose the fur around their necks. And then we are petting them, and putting that stuff on us?!! Forget it...

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Glad to hear Walter's vet visit was a succes! Luckily we don't have feas or ticks here, so no need for prevention. I used Bayvantic when we lived in an area were there was fleas. I've seen some horrid pics of bad reaction to flea collars....

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Glad to hear Walter's vet visit was a succes! Luckily we don't have feas or ticks here, so no need for prevention. I used Bayvantic when we lived in an area were there was fleas. I've seen some horrid pics of bad reaction to flea collars....

Thanks!!! I know years ago flea collars were horrible for pets w/sensitive skin… I googled this one, and I saw the negative reviews. I'm NOT using this on my dogs!!!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Happy to hear all is in order with Walter:) I would stay away from the flea collar as well... didn't have a good experience with the tick collar the vet told us to use on our bulldogs when Bennie got an allergic reaction from a tick bite:( it was supposed to be save even for small children when they pet the dogs but both Bennie and Joey started leaking pee:fie: My idea is that bulldogs has such thick neck that it gets to much of what ever is in the collar... but ja... I don't know... I just know I'll never use any sort of collar again. And the stress of them getting it off and eating it almost pushed me over the edge too, lol. I took the collar of every time I couldn't check them, what a mission:whew:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Personally I think that Seresto collar would be dangerous-especially for a Bullie. It is supposed to kill fleas and ticks for 8 months. It costs about $66.00. AND possibly dog's lives. I have had dogs who have had a reaction to the plain flea collars. I would def. be afraid to use it! If you have allergies-I'd bet it would also affect you!
I am so happy that Wally is okay-you are so lucky(and observant) to have caught the (strangles) early because that really can turn into a mess!
Happy that he is good.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Walter ...where are the pictures?! He must be pretty big by now. glad to hear everything's well with him. I personally wouldn't use any flea control, be it spot-on or collars. If you are concerned about fleas use a human grade Diatomaceous earth. It kills bugs but not the dog but it should be human grade. you can scatter it around your lawn too. i forgot the dosage lol though i can research for that if you're interested.

@pdolphin27 LOL boy you crack me up!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Happy to hear all is in order with Walter:) I would stay away from the flea collar as well... didn't have a good experience with the tick collar the vet told us to use on our bulldogs when Bennie got an allergic reaction from a tick bite:( it was supposed to be save even for small children when they pet the dogs but both Bennie and Joey started leaking pee:fie: My idea is that bulldogs has such thick neck that it gets to much of what ever is in the collar... but ja... I don't know... I just know I'll never use any sort of collar again. And the stress of them getting it off and eating it almost pushed me over the edge too, lol. I took the collar of every time I couldn't check them, what a mission:whew:

Petra, I forgot about that… I remember now that your babies had issues. What a mess!!!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Personally I think that Seresto collar would be dangerous-especially for a Bullie. It is supposed to kill fleas and ticks for 8 months. It costs about $66.00. AND possibly dog's lives. I have had dogs who have had a reaction to the plain flea collars. I would def. be afraid to use it! If you have allergies-I'd bet it would also affect you!
I am so happy that Wally is okay-you are so lucky(and observant) to have caught the (strangles) early because that really can turn into a mess!
Happy that he is good.

Thanks Lynn… I told Carol what happened w/Walter, and how you were familiar w/the strangles. She agreed that you are INVALUABLE ASSET here at EBN… your expertise and advice is so much appreciated!!! :heartsign:

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Chance is on Sentinel as well and unfortunately they do not sell Frontline in Canada as I have heard from several breeders that is what they highly recommend. Chance goes in for his third shot in 3weeks then his rabies shot a month later then shhhh dont tell him neutered a month after that. Happy to hear Walter is doing better and can now hang with the big boys.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance is on Sentinel as well and unfortunately they do not sell Frontline in Canada as I have heard from several breeders that is what they highly recommend. Chance goes in for his third shot in 3weeks then his rabies shot a month later then shhhh dont tell him neutered a month after that. Happy to hear Walter is doing better and can now hang with the big boys.

Chance is absolutely adorable… WE NEED more pics of him!!! LOL :w00t:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.