Thread: Can my bully get depressed due to being left short periods of time?

Real Name
    Minah
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Louie
    Likes (Received)

Default Can my bully get depressed due to being left short periods of time?

Hi everyone,

For some reason every time I have to go to the store, pick up kids from school, or just throw the garbage out Fat Louie just plops himself on the floor near the door and waits for me. My husband told me when I went to school the other day he wouldn't leave the front door after calling him a million times. He finally came once he offered him a yummy treat to eat. (But he had to make the dog bowl noise a couple times). I am feeling guilty to leave him at home more now because some places he can't go inside unless he is a service dog. Can this get worse? What can my husband do differently maybe? He only follows me around all day. If I get up he follows, i go to the bathroom ....yup he follows.... I really hope he doesn't get stressed out and start losing his beautiful coat. Any advice?

-Minah

"Every once in a while, a bulldog enters your life and changes everything". -unknown author

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Can my bully get depressed due to being left short periods of time?

He is a typical bully, they will bond with one more than another... become a shadow in the home and pout/sleep when they are not at home. Does your hubby walk or feed Louie? if not, tell him to start sharing the duites with you and it will help the bonding, but it will not be at the same level it is with you, but will help when you are not at home
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Aww he's a mamas boy, he loves his mom. I agree with Christine, maybe if hubby did more of the things you do with him, he will bond with him as well.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

I think they can get depressed..which is why I absolutely hate to leave him!

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member HTX Bully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Holly
    Likes (Received)

I think they can as well. Holly acts the same way and when she was a young pup I felt like the worst person leaving her! She would cry, cry and cry. As she got older it took awhile but now I think she knows we will always come back. She still acts the same way but no crying. If we go to the grocery store, she'll plop down on the floor right by the door and still be laying there when we get back or she's standing and her tail is going crazy

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
    I think they can get depressed..which is why I absolutely hate to leave him!
    Same here, they are masters at pulling at the heart strings. Our family and friends think we're shut-ins

Real Name
    Camille
    Country
    U.S.A
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Armstrong
    Likes (Received)

Definitely a typical bulldog. Armstrong gives me these sad eyes then lays down half way with his butt in the air right at the door. Breaks my heart every time. But i give him a kiss and tell him i love him, i dunno if that helps him but it helps me feel a little better. My brother says he has me wrapped around his paws. Haha

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    The love and affection of a Bulldog is a Blessing and one of a kind!

Real Name
    Minah
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Louie
    Likes (Received)

Oh boy now I feel like Fat Louie might be pulling a fast one on me then! And all this time I thought he may get so stressed out he may shed or get hives.. No wonder my husband laughs at me!
    But he does still sit at the front door only when I leave. we found that if my husband sits on the floor and pretends to play with his squeaky toy all of a sudden Fat Louie comes charging over! Maybe from excitement of yay playtime! We also tried having my husband walk him to bond a little more but that didn't work out so well... 5 houses away from ours and Fat Louie plopped down and kept staring at our house! Hubby wasn't to happy about carrying a bulldog home... ( I did what any good wife would do.... Video taped it) I guess this is a work in progress...

-Minah

"Every once in a while, a bulldog enters your life and changes everything". -unknown author

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kori
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
    Likes (Received)

I agree sounds like Fat Louie is a big Momma's boy. I really think they are a lot like toddlers - when I would drop my son off he would cling to my leg and cry and moan - the sitter told me that before I was out of the driveway he'd refocus his attention. They know how to pull our heart strings.
    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

James Hond, My Sunshine

Real Name
    Rodney
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson
    Likes (Received)

My Tyson gets like that also when I leave for work in the mornings. He gives me those sad eyes and looks depressed. I'm thinking about getting another bulldog so he can have a brother to keep him company. He is 1 years old so I would like to get one soon

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Minah
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Louie
    Likes (Received)

I said the same thing about getting another bully because my bigger rottie is too energetic for him. I'm all for it but I get the stink eye when I bring up a second lol. I was told to wait till we move to more land in a year lol.

-Minah

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullymommy62 View Post
    Oh boy now I feel like Fat Louie might be pulling a fast one on me then! And all this time I thought he may get so stressed out he may shed or get hives.. No wonder my husband laughs at me!
    But he does still sit at the front door only when I leave. we found that if my husband sits on the floor and pretends to play with his squeaky toy all of a sudden Fat Louie comes charging over! Maybe from excitement of yay playtime! We also tried having my husband walk him to bond a little more but that didn't work out so well... 5 houses away from ours and Fat Louie plopped down and kept staring at our house! Hubby wasn't to happy about carrying a bulldog home... ( I did what any good wife would do.... Video taped it) I guess this is a work in progress...

Must. Share. Video. With. EBN....ASAP!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Remove Ads