General Question Can my bully get depressed due to being left short periods of time?

Bullymommy62

May 25, 2014
Austin, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fat Louie
Hi everyone, :gloom:

For some reason every time I have to go to the store, pick up kids from school, or just throw the garbage out Fat Louie just plops himself on the floor near the door and waits for me. :tissue: My husband told me when I went to school the other day he wouldn't leave the front door after calling him a million times. :pouting: He finally came once he offered him a yummy treat to eat. (But he had to make the dog bowl noise a couple times). I am feeling guilty to leave him at home more now because some places he can't go inside unless he is a service dog. Can this get worse? What can my husband do differently maybe? He only follows me around all day. If I get up he follows, i go to the bathroom ....yup he follows.... I really hope he doesn't get stressed out and start losing his beautiful coat. Any advice? :sorry:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is a typical bully, they will bond with one more than another... become a shadow in the home and pout/sleep when they are not at home. Does your hubby walk or feed Louie? if not, tell him to start sharing the duites with you and it will help the bonding, but it will not be at the same level it is with you, but will help when you are not at home

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww he's a mamas boy, he loves his mom. I agree with Christine, maybe if hubby did more of the things you do with him, he will bond with him as well.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I think they can get depressed..which is why I absolutely hate to leave him!

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
I think they can as well. Holly acts the same way and when she was a young pup I felt like the worst person leaving her! She would cry, cry and cry. As she got older it took awhile but now I think she knows we will always come back. She still acts the same way but no crying. If we go to the grocery store, she'll plop down on the floor right by the door and still be laying there when we get back or she's standing and her tail is going crazy :yes::yes::love:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think they can get depressed..which is why I absolutely hate to leave him!

Same here, they are masters at pulling at the heart strings. Our family and friends think we're shut-ins :ROFL:

bubs0604

Sep 9, 2012
fairfield ca
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Armstrong
Definitely a typical bulldog. Armstrong gives me these sad eyes then lays down half way with his butt in the air right at the door. Breaks my heart every time. But i give him a kiss and tell him i love him, i dunno if that helps him but it helps me feel a little better. My brother says he has me wrapped around his paws. Haha

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

OP
Bullymommy62

Bullymommy62

May 25, 2014
Austin, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fat Louie
Oh boy now I feel like Fat Louie might be pulling a fast one on me then! :hmm: And all this time I thought he may get so stressed out he may shed or get hives.. No wonder my husband laughs at me! :blush2:
But he does still sit at the front door only when I leave. we found that if my husband sits on the floor and pretends to play with his squeaky toy all of a sudden Fat Louie comes charging over! Maybe from excitement of yay playtime! We also tried having my husband walk him to bond a little more but that didn't work out so well... 5 houses away from ours and Fat Louie plopped down and kept staring at our house! Hubby wasn't to happy about carrying a bulldog home... :rofl: ( I did what any good wife would do.... Video taped it) I guess this is a work in progress...

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I agree sounds like Fat Louie is a big Momma's boy. I really think they are a lot like toddlers - when I would drop my son off he would cling to my leg and cry and moan - the sitter told me that before I was out of the driveway he'd refocus his attention. They know how to pull our heart strings.

bigrod48

Jan 7, 2013
NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
My Tyson gets like that also when I leave for work in the mornings. He gives me those sad eyes and looks depressed. I'm thinking about getting another bulldog so he can have a brother to keep him company. He is 1 years old so I would like to get one soon

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
Bullymommy62

Bullymommy62

May 25, 2014
Austin, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fat Louie
I said the same thing about getting another bully because my bigger rottie is too energetic for him. I'm all for it but I get the stink eye when I bring up a second lol. I was told to wait till we move to more land in a year lol. :pray:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh boy now I feel like Fat Louie might be pulling a fast one on me then! :hmm: And all this time I thought he may get so stressed out he may shed or get hives.. No wonder my husband laughs at me! :blush2:
But he does still sit at the front door only when I leave. we found that if my husband sits on the floor and pretends to play with his squeaky toy all of a sudden Fat Louie comes charging over! Maybe from excitement of yay playtime! We also tried having my husband walk him to bond a little more but that didn't work out so well... 5 houses away from ours and Fat Louie plopped down and kept staring at our house! Hubby wasn't to happy about carrying a bulldog home... :rofl: ( I did what any good wife would do.... Video taped it) I guess this is a work in progress...

Must. Share. Video. With. EBN....ASAP!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.