Blood Dripping from Penis?

B

Baxter Tiberius

Do any of you periodically see blood drops from the penis?

Baxter has had this, on and off, for several months. The best vets in town didn't seem too concerned about it after they did a kidney ultrasound. They found a little cyst but nothing significant. His kidney numbers were very out of range when he was younger ( a few months ago ) but normalized recently so they sent him home with a clean bill of health. Today he was laying in his crate and there was a little bit of blood in a puddle under him, and his penis was out of its sheath almost fully. I know he will sometimes drip blood after a really good hump session, but he wasn't humping today. When he does, I assume its from broken capillaries from rubbing. Hard to tell about the other times though.

I recently gave him sentinel and the next day his face was blood red, his paws (underneath) were bright red, and he was dripping blood from his penis. Again, could be a "flushing" thing where the skin is enflamed and capillaries are breaking. I dont know. But I sure as hell hate these stupid pesticides etc. Really. Really hate them.

You don't really see how much they affect the dog unless you've *not* had your dog on them at all, and then you give it to them for the first times. I almost never give bax anything in that regard, and every time I do, something worrisome happens after. But he needs heartworm protection at the very least I guess.

Thanks for any thoughts... insights...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The only thing I can think of, is he rubbed it on something, or maybe scratched it.

Bullymommy62

May 25, 2014
Austin, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fat Louie
Fat Louie had that happen to him before I neutered him. Whenever he went in heat and didn't get to do his thing that's what would happen. We would see drops of blood everywhere when he woke up, saw a female or got excited. It was horrible! We went to the vet and had him taken care of right away! After that we never had an issue again. If it didn't work my vet told me it could be a prolapse urethra and he would need surgery to fix it. Def get him checked out so they can look into his urethra. I hope I helped a little. I hope things calm down soon :pray: because I know how hard it is dealing with that especially if your out somewhere.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Kevin, sorry you're going through this with Baxter. I don't have any experience with problem either, the only things that I know can cause bleeding from his privates would be an injury, scratch, or excessive rubbing, a bladder or kidney infection, or as Minah mentioned a prolapsed urethra. I would keep an eye on him, and if it goes away and he doesn't have a fever, or excessive urinating, then you can probably rule out these things, but if it continues then I would take him to the vet to have him check him out. I hope it's nothing serious and Baxter is okay. Please keep us posted.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Sounds like a prolapsed urethra. Finn has had this twice before. Once when he was 7 months old and the vet suggested he get neutered which would help as the humping he was doing would contribute to the prolapse and the neutering would supposedly decrease the behavior. Then it happened to him again last September (age 2 and 1/2 yo). The vet just pushed the urethra back in manually, no surgery or anything really invasive done. It hasn't happened again thankfully but i do worry b/c he still humps on occasion and sometimes I will notice his penis is engorged "popping out."

You may want to talk to your vet about possible surgery if Baxter is having this often. I know there are a couple members here who have had surgery done for prolapsed urethra so hopefully one of them will provide some more feedback.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with Henny --- could be a prolasped urethra. sounds similar to what another bully here, along with Finn went through as a puppy

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
Do any of you periodically see blood drops from the penis?

Baxter has had this, on and off, for several months. The best vets in town didn't seem too concerned about it after they did a kidney ultrasound. They found a little cyst but nothing significant. His kidney numbers were very out of range when he was younger ( a few months ago ) but normalized recently so they sent him home with a clean bill of health. Today he was laying in his crate and there was a little bit of blood in a puddle under him, and his penis was out of its sheath almost fully. I know he will sometimes drip blood after a really good hump session, but he wasn't humping today. When he does, I assume its from broken capillaries from rubbing. Hard to tell about the other times though.

I recently gave him sentinel and the next day his face was blood red, his paws (underneath) were bright red, and he was dripping blood from his penis. Again, could be a "flushing" thing where the skin is enflamed and capillaries are breaking. I dont know. But I sure as hell hate these stupid pesticides etc. Really. Really hate

You don't really see how much they affect the dog unless you've *not* had your dog on them at all, and then you give it to them for the first times. I almost never give bax anything in that regard, and every time I do, something worrisome happens after. But he needs heartworm protection at the very least I guess.

Thanks for any thoughts...insights...

Hi Kevin, unfortunately we have alot of experience with the prolapsed urethra! Bodie has prolapsed two times where surgery was required and just recently as a few months ago, he had a small area that was prolapsed. Thankfully he didnt have to have another surgery this last time...knock on wood...If Baxter has a prolapsed urethra, you will be able to see it. Push his penis out of its sheath, if the tip is enlarged, very red, or even purplish, and bigger around than the rest of his penis, then its prolapsed!! It could also be that it hasnt completely prolapsed yet too. So therefore it wont be as big or colored as badly as I described, but if its still bleeding, I'd get Baxter to the vet asap. Also, google, prolapsed urethra in canines or a urethral prolapse in canines, print off all the info you can find and take it with you to the vet. Most vets aren't familiar with this condition, probably because it is a very rare problem, which is almost only seen in male EnglishBulldogs,and is about 1 in every 10,000!!! We got very lucky and found a vet that was familiar with this and had performed the surgery before. With that being said, not every prolapse will require surgery. With Bodie, his first prolapse happened when he wasonly 3 months old, it did require surgery. Partly because we had taken him to an emergency vet, it happened on a Saturday, to put it frankly, she almost killed my poor baby! After sticking 9 different needles into his penis, all containing diff meds, she then has tweezers out with a magnifying glass trying to remove the piece of skin! That is NOT the way to do it, she had NO idea what it was! Anyway because of all the damage she did, he did have to have surgery where they basically massage the urethra back in and then stitch it. Everything went great...until he reached "manhood", thats a whole other story, lol., at 7 months old, he prolapsed again! On a Saturday of course!! But this time it was much, much worse. So that surgery was a much more invasive surgery, the prolapse, which actually looked like a big purple mushroom that hung off the tip of his penis and bled really, really, really badly!! So instead of massaging and stitching, the prolapse had to be cut off completely! Also at the same time as his second surgery, he was neutered. The professionals dont know why or what causes this issue in our bullies, they have a few diff theories, but nothing has been proven. And since there is still more lining of the penis, he could prolapse again and again and again! So we try our best to keep Bodie from doing any humping at all, even air humping. We have noticed, atleast this last time a few months ago, that whenever he would air hump, he would sometimes bleed, so we feel theres some kind of connection there.
Im sorry this is so long, I just try to give any and all info about this subject that I can when someone else may be dealing with these same issues that we've gone through mant times over! I hope this helps you in any way possible and I really, really hope that this is not the issue that your Baxter has...its very nerve wracking, helpless, and on top of it all, expensive. If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask. I have lots of info and im sure I didnt remember everything here in this post. Keep me updated please?! GOOD LUCK to you and Baxter!!!

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

@BodiesMom

He does have a really dark red tip that bulges a tiny bit, often, off the tip of his winkie, but I just figured that was normal. This isn't a very good photo of it (I can get a better one) but its always pretty bloodshot red at the tip. Definitely not a huge thing hanging off it at all. But a noticeable deep red swelling.

By the way, the "Smegma" (you can see it dripping below) is out of control again. He's now wearing underwear around the house and after only 10 hours, the entire front of the inside was covered in yellow spots.

A lot of people say this is just puberty

IMAGE_79.png

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Remy did this too due to excessive humping. His was diagnosed as a prolapsed urethra. Surgery fixed it and he was also nuetered at the same time and no problems since. Hopefully this is Baxter's problem as well.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Without seeing more I cannot say for sure but it does look like a small prolapse from the photo, poor baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullymommy62

May 25, 2014
Austin, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fat Louie
Fat Louie would have the whole area come out. It looked like the top of a pencil eraser but darkish red/purple. My vet told me to calm the bleeding down and urethra coming out a cold towel or ice pack in towel. So blood begins circulating back again. I would catch him right when he woke up and it did stop the bleeding. But didn't stop when he became very excited. Especially finding out dogs can smell a female from 5 miles away!! :fie: The smegma stopped for me once he got neutered also. But I always am waiting just incase his episodes of blood come back again. It's just one of those things that may or may not happen apparently. These poor guys just never get a break.

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
@BodiesMom

He does have a really dark red tip that bulges a tiny bit, often, off the tip of his winkie, but I just figured that was normal. This isn't a very good photo of it (I can get a better one) but its always pretty bloodshot red at the tip. Definitely not a huge thing hanging off it at all. But a noticeable deep red swelling.

By the way, the "Smegma" (you can see it dripping below) is out of control again. He's now wearing underwear around the house and after only 10 hours, the entire front of the inside was covered in yellow spots.

A lot of people say this is just puberty

IMAGE_79.png

It's hard to tell from that picture, a pic from the side would maybe be a lil better. But it does look like a small part may be prolapsed. I wish I had a pic of Bodies when it was in full prolapse, cause then you'd know exactly what I mean about the big purple mushroom!! We don't really deal with the big time smegma issue, maybe because he was neutered at 7 months old. He gets a lil but of smegma occasionally but not so much that it drips everywhere!! I've never heard of the "cold compress" that someone else mentioned, so I can't really comment on that. I would, honestly, do some research on urethral prolapse, print it, and take it and Baxter to your vet! It's better to get it looked at and possibly dealt with before it gets any worse. And trust me, it can get a lot worse!!!! And just remember that even if it is a prolapse and if it requires surgery, and you get the surgery done, it won't fix that problem forever!! I mean, hopefully, Baxter wouldn't have any more episodes, but it is always a possibility, so trying to scale back or stop the humping will reduce the possibility of future episodes. It would be great if the "pros" and scientists could figure out the causes of this issue, I know that it's a fairly rare problem, however, the people and bullies that are and have dealt with this find it to be a very stressful and worrisome problem!! Keep me updated please!!??

BullyLove!!!

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
This happened to Barkley right before we found out he had bladder stones. I kept seeing blood spots around the house and examined him all over but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Then one day a ton came out when he got "excited" so we took him to the vet the next day. They did an x-Ray and saw he had bladder stones. They said the bleeding was probably from the stones rolling around in the bladder and irritating the lining. They gave him an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory and the bleeding stopped right away and the next week we had the stones removed.

I hope the vets get it figured out soon and that Baxter gets all better, poor guy!! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

The description of an eraserhead off the tip is exactly what I have seen from Bax. For several months. I didn't realize it was a "thing". I'll keep an eye out for it. That picture I posted doesn't really show it, and he's not excited there so its tiny.

Thanks all.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.