Has anyone else noticed this with cherry eye?

DjangoAndWinniesMom

May 2, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Django and Winnie
On Valentine's Day, our kitten who is very close with our bullies broke his knee and had to stay at the vet for two days while he had surgery. We had just gotten Winnie, so she wasn't attached to him yet, but Django was very upset because we got them around the same time and they are BFFs. During this time, his cherry eye came out! It went back in when our cat returned home, but came back a few days later as our cat was still unable to hang out with him for a month as he recovered. Finally, we got it surgically tucked in. Two months later, it came back out! I freaked, and immediately massaged it and it popped back in on the first push! Since then, it comes out occasionally but it's always after he gets in an intense wrestle fight with Winnie! They'll be rough-housing and when they're calmed down, I see it's out! It always goes back in on the very first try though, it takes no effort. Winnie's eye actually does the exact same thing. It makes me think that cherry eye is related more to stress and not genetics. Has anyone else experienced this or felt this way? Is there anything to back up this feeling? My friend who is a vet tech agrees with me and actually was the one who originally said it was probably initially from our cat's momentary absence. Just wanted to hear some others stories who may relate!!
xmas2.jpgpic of the dynamic duo at Christmas, just for fun!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you might be on to something. My female Blossom developed cherry eye when she was 5 months old. At first, I was able to massage it back in, and it would stay in for a while, and then it would pop,out every time she ran around or got excited while playing with her brother Bulldozer. After a while it wouldn't stay in anymore, so we opted to have it repaired when we had her spayed. We have never had any problems since her surgery which was 2 years ago, and her eyes are beautiful, you wouldn't know she ever had surgery.

OP
DjangoAndWinniesMom

DjangoAndWinniesMom

May 2, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Django and Winnie
We have never had any problems since her surgery which was 2 years ago, and her eyes are beautiful, you wouldn't know she ever had surgery.

I'm glad to hear Blossom's eye is doing well! Hopefully Django's won't keep doing this popping out thing, it worries me! I can't afford a second surgery for the same eye :fie:

jNGhead.png
I don't think you could tell he's had the surgery either! It was on his left eye, so the one on the right of the pic!

MarleneK

Dec 21, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dually
Dually had surgery for cherry eye on both eyes. Only the right one pops out every now and then when he is playing hard and we just massage it right back in as well. Unless it becomes a problem I'm not going to worry about a second surgery for that eye.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Diesel has had one eye done. The other pops out when the wife has the heating on all day and it's about 100 ... It goes in straight away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Shelby, I hope Django's ( love his name by the way), eye continues to be okay after his surgery, I haven't had the experience of the eye popping back out post surgery, but if it continues to be a problem, I would discuss it with the vet who did the surgery. Would you have to pay for a second surgery, if the first surgery wasn't successful? Or would your vet redo it? When Blossom's eye was popping out, we used Refresh eye drops from the drugstore to help keep her eye moist, so it wouldn't dry out from being exposed to the air. Sending love and prayers that his eye is okay.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
To have it in the first place has alot to do with genetics. But yes stress triggers it to get out but not always. Well atleast not our experience :). Bifi's cherry eye on his left side is almost always triggered by gnawing something for so long like his nylabone or antler. It popped out once when we were at the vet's to treat his ear infection, during that time he was very stressed. I did what you did, just massaged it back in place.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online