Sir Rumble Pig is Recovering!!

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Yesterday, May 22, 2014 (day 0) Rumble had surgery to repair his ACL. The vet called to let me know after surgery that he had not only tore his ACL but had also torn his meniscus but that he was able to fix everything. The vet also said that his cartilage looked good which is great to hear. We are picking him up this morning and we have his new way of life all ready for him. We now have two play pens to put together to give him enough room to stretch but to keep him calm. I cleaned his kennel last night and made everything comfortable for him. We are waiting to see if we will have to deal with a cone or if he will not bother/reach his incision. I will post pictures as soon as I can but the most important thing for the time being is that he made it through surgery and will come home today, May 23, 2014 (day 1). I hope to keep track of days and recovery on here in case anyone else ever needs it. I cannot wait to hug him!! (gently of course!)

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
So glad he is doing good and best wishes for speedy recovery.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
All good thoughts and wishes for Rumble's recovery!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpgimage.jpg:muah2:Hi Tiffany, so great to hear that Sir Rumble came through surgery well, and that his surgery was successful. It will be a challenge to keep him quiet while he's healing, especially when he's on pain medication, because he'll think he's the same as before. My Blossom jumped off the side of the couch, the first night she came home. The medication makes them a little sleepy at first, but I also found it can make them a little hyper as well, also you might find that he could have some accidents in the house due to the medication and also the extra fluids they gave him in the IV. Blossom had a little pee accident on her pillow after we brought her home. We didn't use a cone after surgery, and she didn't touch her stitches. If you find the cone is needed for Rumble, they do sell soft cones at Petsmart, Global Pets, and PetValu, they are a little more comfortable than the hard plastic ones. I hope Rumbles recovery is quick and easy, and he is back to himself soon. I'll be looking for your updates. Feel better Rumble. Sending love and hugs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So happy to hear all went well and he will be home with you today! continued prayers for a quick recovery and fingers crossed for no cone of shame

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
That is really such great news! i wish Rumble a speedy recovery. keeping him relax and quiet for faster recovery might be a challenge for these little buggers lol. keeping you both in my thoughts :).

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
20140523_102952.jpg20140523_102958.jpg
Day 1. Sir Rumble Pig is home! The vet has him on three different medications (one for pain, one for infection, and one to calm him down) and we were told to let him walk to go to the bathroom. I know other people have been told otherwise so I feel very confused. Right now our plan is to keep him confined (kennel when we are not home and play pen when we are) and to most importantly not let him jump, run or go down stairs. We have a ramp for our outside step and we are listening to the vet and letting him walk to go potty. I have still not seen him in person and cannot wait to give him a hug! Thank you to everyone for prayers and thoughts!

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
20140523_190157.jpg20140523_190157.jpgDay 2. Rumble's first night at home was a success. We have blankets and pillows in his play pen so I could lay with him. As long as someone is with him he is doing great. At this point we are carrying him to his favorite potty spot in the yard and then letting him down to sniff to find a place to go and then we carry him back in when he is done. He is doing great on eating and we are back to feeding him his regular amount since the vet said to not limit his food until he is off of medication. His leg is bandaged and they had to shave a spot on his front paw for his iv. They tried to give him an epidural so his back is shaved in a square also but he started to break out after they shaved him so they did not use it. The vet said he avoided anything that could have a small reaction with penicillin since Rumble is allergic and that Rumble was a great patient. I'm sure this first week will be the worst and then I am hoping my only problem is to keep him quiet. He has not been vocal at all so I am hoping he is not in too much pain. We have a strict schedule with the medicine provided and have arranged so that someone can be with him almost all of the time. Thank you everyone for the prayers and thoughts! Hopefully I can keep posting positive progress!

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Day 3. Unfortunately Rumble would not leave his incision alone so we had no choice but to put a cone on him. At least we have an inflatable one but I still feel so guilty even though I know it is for the best. Other than that he was been alright. He has been sleeping a lot. He has always taken pills fine but for some reason he is not taking his pain pill so that has been a chore. If we put it in his yogurt that seems to work. We built a ramp for him to use to go outside to potty and he seems to be doing well with it. He is putting a little more weight on his leg which makes me nervous but the vet said is normal and a good sign. My dad is coming tomorrow to help us with him when we go back to work. Here is to hoping the rest of the first week goes well!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 71341View attachment 71342
Day 1. Sir Rumble Pig is home! The vet has him on three different medications (one for pain, one for infection, and one to calm him down) and we were told to let him walk to go to the bathroom. I know other people have been told otherwise so I feel very confused. Right now our plan is to keep him confined (kennel when we are not home and play pen when we are) and to most importantly not let him jump, run or go down stairs. We have a ramp for our outside step and we are listening to the vet and letting him walk to go potty. I have still not seen him in person and cannot wait to give him a hug! Thank you to everyone for prayers and thoughts!

Exactky what we did.... confined, no stairs, no jumpingand let him only to potty. Th short little walking allows the muscle to not get stiff or lose any strength.

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
So glad he is doing so well after surgery. Wish him all the best.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
This subject is a sensitive topic for me :( Izzy just went yesterday for a third ACL surgery. She had both legs done and now she had to redo the left leg. I'm a bit upset and even questioning myself if I could have done anything better during her previous recovery process :( well I guess we are back on the slow road of recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This subject is a sensitive topic for me :( Izzy just went yesterday for a third ACL surgery. She had both legs done and now she had to redo the left leg. I'm a bit upset and even questioning myself if I could have done anything better during her previous recovery process :( well I guess we are back on the slow road of recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So sorry Izzy has to go in again.... It is so difficult during recovery! Hugs and prayers all goes well

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.