Some adviee needed on a possible Staph and neutering

Neesy33

Feb 17, 2013
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Butters
Hey all, I have found this awful soar on Butters belly about a week ago. See pic below.. I have gotten Providone Iodine as per a vet md site to clean it with and an antibiotic cream. I am wondering how do dogs get these? Are they contagious? Anyone have personal exp on how long to clear up and if a (prob $300) vet is ness? We were at the vet about 2 months ago and he suggested Butters get neutered, BUT he is going to be 10 in August?!?! Is this really necessary ? The Mds reasoning was to prevent poss prostate cancer. :((( SO confused. :blush2: 10409256_10204033095213634_3137480058502247898_n (1).jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Denise, I'm sorry Butters is going through this, and I'm afraid I don't have any experience with this type of sore. It sounds like you're cleaning it properly, and using antibiotic cream may clear it up. I would keep an eye on it and if after treating it yourself, it doesn't clear up, or seems to be getting worse or spreading, then I would have the vet check it out. If it is a Staph infection, they can be more stubborn to clear up, and may need a stronger treatment like oral antibiotics. I hope it clears up, and he feels better soon.

As for him being neutered, I would think the risk of surgery at his age would be greater than the risk of getting Prostrate Cancer, he is almost 10 years old, and doesn't have any signs of cancer, so I would think he is okay. If he was my bully, I don't think I would have him neutered at his age. This is just my thinking and I don't know if its right or wrong, others may have a different view than me. Have you asked another vet for a second opinion on this?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
One of my dogs had a sore on her side, that looked like this. It was a spider bite. The vet shaved around it. I had an antibiotic to apply to it. I would ask your pharmacist what is the best antibiotic to apply to a spider bite. It took several week's for Maude's bite to heal-but it did not get bigger. If it gets bigger-than you need to see the vet. As for neutering-if your dog is NOT having any urinary problems, or hasn't had any, why neuter him at this age? Sounds "fishy" to me-but that's just my op.
Another option for his sore is NuStock. You can usually get it at a horse supply.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Personally in my opinion if your dog isn't having any issues it would be unnecessary to neuter a 10 year old dog :blink: I agree w/Lynn on the bite, it looks like a spider bite. You may want to have the vet check that out to make sure it's not infected...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OUCH... that does look like a spider or some type of bug bite. I agree, at 10 yrs old, unless there are issues, I would be hesitant to neuter

OP
N

Neesy33

Feb 17, 2013
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Butters
Thank you!!! I thought the same thing about the neuter :( I mean he does have a fatty tumor by his hiney but he said it is not cancerous. I really do not feel the need to put him under that stress either. WOW I do have a lot of spiders around my house outside this time of year too! I didnt think of that. i got the spray for them. I am def going to take him to the vet tues if it does not get any better. Ty for your thoughts <3 <3 032.jpg037.jpg080.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you!!! I thought the same thing about the neuter :( I mean he does have a fatty tumor by his hiney but he said it is not cancerous. I really do not feel the need to put him under that stress either. WOW I do have a lot of spiders around my house outside this time of year too! I didnt think of that. i got the spray for them. I am def going to take him to the vet tues if it does not get any better. Ty for your thoughts <3 <3 View attachment 71294View attachment 71295View attachment 71296

What a handsome little man.... and he suckles on stuffies too! many other bullies her do too

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=8170]Neesy33[/MENTION] I think your boy looks great! He looks much younger than 10. Fatty tumors are not harmful, and sometimes if they get one, they will get more. Hope his wound gets better soon! He is a handsome fella'!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.