General Question Yearly vaccinations!?

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Do you take your bully for yearly vaccinations?
If so what ones do you typically go for? I read an article this week stating that most vaccinations are good for up to 7 years and I don't want to put junk into my dog he doesn't need. Just wanted to know what you think all think and do.

Thank you!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We do only because it is the law. If we could we would do titer testing each year instead and only vaccinate when needed.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We still do, but the more I read, I think the titer test might be something we look into.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Me too, I'm extending currently to a year and half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We did the Rabies 3 year a few weeks ago. But he's 2 months overdue for the DHPP booster.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Tate is overdue for his bordetella vaccine booster. It's required by most facilities if he's to go to day camp or boarding.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I keep reading that the current recommendation is: once every three years, after the first one year booster is given.
I think it makes much more sense.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
I never give my dogs boosters,2 yrs ago I lost my bulldog due to over vaccinating ,dogs don't need yearly boosters,please do your homework on vacs damage before making the decision

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
I have to keep up with the law here. Meatball goes to camp, and they follow NJ requirements for vaccines. If Meatball is late on something, he can't go play! Meatball LOVES to go to camp with all his doggy friends:)

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
We're lucky here in the uk as we have a choice,pretty hard for you when it's law to vaccinate ,you have no choice

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION], I'd love to not have to give my boys these boosters and such but unfortunately, it's required for boarding and day camps here. Also, kennel cough is contagious so i do believe this is one that i need to keep on top of.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
I recently stopped vaccinating my dogs after doing tons of research. I have a 12 week old who has only had 1 set of shots from the breeder and a 3 year old. The only shot I will get for them is the Rabies since it is required by law. I got a subscription to Dogs Naturally which has tons of information.

I dont use chemicals/flea meds. I use diatomaceous earth on my lawn and every once in a while in their food (its also good for killing internal parasites). I give them Vitamin B Complex in their food to repel fleas and to have a strong immune system. And I use a spray of water, tea tree oil, lavender, lemon myrtle. to spray on them when going anywhere. Havent had 1 flea on them.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Do you take your bully for yearly vaccinations?
If so what ones do you typically go for? I read an article this week stating that most vaccinations are good for up to 7 years and I don't want to put junk into my dog he doesn't need. Just wanted to know what you think all think and do.

Thank you!

I got Baxter his necessary puppy vaccinations and that is going to be it, unless someone knocks me over the head with some data showing why he's in imminent danger of something unless I vaccinate again. And I refuse to get Rabies vaccination at all. There's no chance little fatty is going to get bit by a rabid raccoon while lounging in my living room 99% of his life. And even if he does, I will be within shouting distance anyways, and we can just go get antibiotics. As for it being against the law ... oh well. Lets just say living in Miami has its perks. One of them being vets who also hate rabies vaccines and have no problem saying he received it, for an office visit fee. I've never felt so gangster before! But for a good cause.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Regarding the bordatella vaccine, this was an interesting read I found in an article called Truth 4 Dogs and made me re-think getting the booster:

If your service provider is afraid your dog will contract kennel cough at their establishment, offer to sign a waiver saying youā€™ve been informed of the risk and will waive liability if your pet falls ill. That should do it. Should. Itā€™s often just liability at issue, not a question of health.
If the person insisting on the bordetella vaccine is afraid other dogs at their establishment will contract kennel cough from your unvaccinated dog, this person clearly doesnā€™t trust that the vaccinated dogs actually have immunity. If they donā€™t believe the vaccine is protective, why insist that you or anyone else vaccinate?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.