Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Petco made an announcement today that they are discontinuing and will no longer be selling Dog food or Treats that are manufactured in China, with Nestlé products like Beneful, and the chicken jerky treats that were recently recalled because they were linked to many illnesses and deaths in dogs due to kidney failure. This is great news. Woo Hoo. I'm so happy these products are going to be harder to find, hopefully other retailers follow suit.

BREAKING: Petco to Discontinue Selling ALL Pet Food and Treats from China
Written on 05/20/2014 by Brandy Arnold in Food Guidelines, Front Page News

Petco today announced it will stop carrying China-made dog and cat treats at its more than 1,300 store locations nationwide, including Unleashed by Petco stores and online at Petco.com, by the end of 2014. The move makes Petco the first national pet specialty retailer to take this step in support of the health and well-being of pets.

“We know some pet parents are wary of dog and cat treats made in China, especially Chicken Jerky products, and we’ve heard their concerns,” said Jim Myers, Petco CEO. “As a leader in the industry and the trusted partner for our pet parents, we’re eager to make this transition and to expand our assortment of safe and healthy treats, the majority of which are made right here in the U.S. Very simply, we feel this decision is in the best interest of the pets we all love and, ultimately, for our business.”

Since 2007, and as recently as just last week, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) has periodically cautioned consumers about a potential link between reported illnesses in dogs and the consumption of jerky products made in China. However, the FDA has been unable to identify a direct link between the reported illnesses and the China-made treats, and has not recommended a recall of jerky products.

“We’ve been following the FDA warnings and related customer concerns closely, and we’ve been actively reducing our China-made assortment and expanding our American-made offerings for several years now,” said Myers. “We know the FDA hasn’t yet identified a direct cause for the reported illnesses, but we decided the uncertainty of the situation outweighs the lack of actual proof. It has taken some time and careful thought to get to this point, but we’re proud to make the change and we believe our customers will be pleased with it as well.”

The final stage of the transition will begin in September and is expected to be complete by the end of 2014, marking the end of a multi-year process in which Petco has been working with vendors and suppliers to offer more safe and healthy alternatives to treats made in China.

Pet parents looking for alternatives to China-made dog or cat treats will find a broad selection of USA-made products at Petco from brands like American Jerky, Blue Buffalo, Blue Ridge Naturals, Canidae, Colorado Naturals, Dogswell, Isle of Dog, Merrick, Natural Balance, Nature’s Variety, Prairie Dog, Zuke’s and more. Petco also carries a number of safe and long lasting treats and chews from other regions of the world, including New Zealand, Australia and South America.

For more information about Petco or to find a location near you, visit petco.com.

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
That is really great news. Happy for all our puppies and dogs. 😊

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It's about time. Now all the retailers need to do the same thing, and tell China where they can stick all that bad food at.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You're right David, maybe if people stop buying the products, the retailers will realize they can't sell that crap here anymore and will follow suit. We the consumers have to hurt them in their wallets, and refuse to buy that crap.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
LOVING this!!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I read an article yesterday that PetSmart is doing the same thing.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It's about time! Now they need to take a look at the foods made here that use INGREDIENTS from China!

That is my thought exactly. Does it really solve the whole problem? If ingredients are used that come from China-there is STILL a problem..........
It is a band-aid, but not a cure.........

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That is my thought exactly. Does it really solve the whole problem? If ingredients are used that come from China-there is STILL a problem..........
It is a band-aid, but not a cure.........

Nestle and Purina dog treats are both made in America they source the chicken from China and both Petco and Petsmart have now taken those products off the shelf. Now if all retailers would do the same it would be GREAT!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
FINALLY but honestly if consumers are STILL buying this crap… it's been on the news for months!!!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
FINALLY but honestly if consumers are STILL buying this crap… it's been on the news for months!!!

It's been on the news for years! That's why Bill and I represent a line of foods. Several years ago our friend's cat died as a result of recalled cat food. We did our research and met the formulator for the company. So far, (knock wood) Mabel has done well on it. It's chicken-based, without the antibiotics and hormones. The bottom line is--you have to know what is in the food you are feeding your dogs or cats, or rabbits, or . . .

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It's been on the news for years! That's why Bill and I represent a line of foods. Several years ago our friend's cat died as a result of recalled cat food. We did our research and met the formulator for the company. So far, (knock wood) Mabel has done well on it. It's chicken-based, without the antibiotics and hormones. The bottom line is--you have to know what is in the food you are feeding your dogs or cats, or rabbits, or . . .

What food do you use? Chris I honestly don't think people want to take the time to investigate what THEY eat never mind what their pet is eating. They expect the government to tell them everything is safe… ROLL EYES!!! :blink:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.