General Question Has anyone heard of Puppy Strangles (Juvenile Cellulitis)?!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Just got Walter back from the vetsā€¦ his entire left side of his neck was swollen, scared me to death!!! :eek: I gave him a benadryl and took him straight away because of course I was thinking he had gotten stung or somethingā€¦ turns out he has puppy strangles. It's an infection of his lymph nodeā€¦ poor baby, it's painful. She gave him steroid shot, prednisone and rilexine. Anybody familiar w/this?!! He seems fine, and the swelling has gone downā€¦ I'm a mess, my day has been a nightmare!!! :yell:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Seriously never heard of it!

BREATHE.... go do some sit-ups, get rid of that stress :D

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Oh my gosh...that poor baby. I have never heard of that. These bullies get the oddest things going on in their little bodies. I hope he gets better! Give him lots and lots of kisses.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] just gave me some info on itā€¦ it's a staph infection that puppies can get from litter mates playing/biting each other w/their shark teeth. It makes sense because Wally had marks on him when we got him from playing w/his litter mates. I was keeping an eye on them, and none of them looked infected to me :blink: The swelling has gone down a bunch, and he seems fineā€¦ just sleepy and thirsty (from the steroid I'm sure). Of course my nerves are SHOT, started off today by my son sneaking in the house this morning and setting off the house alarm!!! I'm going to go clean my houseā€¦ and Lily is laying down w/Wally :heart:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
WTH?! I've never heard it before either. You are so good rushing him in like that!! Everything I'm reading says that it's rare for puppies to get, hope he feels better.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh my gosh...that poor baby. I have never heard of that. These bullies get the oddest things going on in their little bodies. I hope he gets better! Give him lots and lots of kisses.

I don't think this is a bully ailment, I think that all puppies can get thisā€¦ of course ONLY in my house!!! :facepalm2:

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
WTH?! I've never heard it before either. You are so good rushing him in like that!! Everything I'm reading says that it's rare for puppies to get, hope he feels better.

I saw that too Philā€¦ the vet gave me some literature on it, she says she sees it in horses!!! Dear GOD of all the luckā€¦ LOL He's fine, snoozing away over hereā€¦ of course!!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I saw that too Philā€¦ the vet gave me some literature on it, she says she sees it in horses!!! Dear GOD of all the luckā€¦ LOL He's fine, snoozing away over hereā€¦ of course!!!

:whew: scary stuff, maybe you should take a nap now. :)

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:whew: scary stuff, maybe you should take a nap now. :)

NOPE I'm not much of a napper, I'm going to start cleaning the houseā€¦ and I will have a glass of wine tonight!!! LOL :drink:

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
Wow sorry to hear Tracey but at least you were there when the swelling was happening. Is he going to be on meds for it or is it a just once in awhile thing? Glad to hear he is ok while your probably still stressed about it.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow sorry to hear Tracey but at least you were there when the swelling was happening. Is he going to be on meds for it or is it a just once in awhile thing? Glad to hear he is ok while your probably still stressed about it.

He's on the meds for a couple of weeksā€¦ I guess they want to make sure they get rid of the entire infection. So crazy...

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
He's on the meds for a couple of weeksā€¦ I guess they want to make sure they get rid of the entire infection. So crazy...

Well that's great news so you wont be worried about it coming back. I would be freaked out everyday. I could not even imagine leaving him alone and then getting swollen and maybe throat closing something like that. So so glad that they found it, treated and hopefully he will not be having it again. Bully kisses to him.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well that's great news so you wont be worried about it coming back. I would be freaked out everyday. I could not even imagine leaving him alone and then getting swollen and maybe throat closing something like that. So so glad that they found it, treated and hopefully he will not be having it again. Bully kisses to him.

I asked Dr. Fant about it, she said not to worry that his throat would not swell shutā€¦ it has actually gone down a lot since he got the steroid shot today. I'm lucky that I stay at home, he's spoiled rotten!!! LOL

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online