Help Needed! 8 Month old male's appetite drop

gus2014

May 19, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Hi I am new to the forum, and wanting some advice from fellow bulldog owners.

My male english bulldog is 8 months going on 9 months. In the last 3 weeks he is eating a fraction of what he used to eat. I am feeding him on a high quality puppy biscuit diet which he has always had.

Previously he would eat around the recommended food weight, which worked out at around 3 cups of food, split into two feedings.

He now only eats less than 1 cup a day, and will not touch his breakfast.

I went to the vet when he first started doing this to make sure he was ok, and the vet said that it is just him now not needing all the food as he is nearly fully developed; and for me not to worry.

At the beginning I also tried him on other dry foods as I thought he may have gone of his current one, but he was the same with all of them.

I suppose my main concern is that he isnt eating the recommended amount of food a day, and I don't want him to be loosing any weight!

Has anybody else had a similar experience, is this normal?

Thanks

Jordan

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hiya: and :welcome3: to EBN!

At 9 months old they can go to 2 cups a day with a high quality adult food.... my boy was like this too, he was not a morning eater and would kind of nibble on breakfast. Maybe try feeding in the late mornig/early afternoon and then dinner... could help.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Hi I am new to the forum, and wanting some advice from fellow bulldog owners.

My male english bulldog is 8 months going on 9 months. In the last 3 weeks he is eating a fraction of what he used to eat. I am feeding him on a high quality puppy biscuit diet which he has always had.

Previously he would eat around the recommended food weight, which worked out at around 3 cups of food, split into two feedings.

He now only eats less than 1 cup a day, and will not touch his breakfast.

I went to the vet when he first started doing this to make sure he was ok, and the vet said that it is just him now not needing all the food as he is nearly fully developed; and for me not to worry.

At the beginning I also tried him on other dry foods as I thought he may have gone of his current one, but he was the same with all of them.

I suppose my main concern is that he isnt eating the recommended amount of food a day, and I don't want him to be loosing any weight!

Has anybody else had a similar experience, is this normal?

Thanks

Jordan

Hi fella
what you feeding him?

OP
G

gus2014

May 19, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Ok cheers I will give that a try today. It was science plan mate, but when I was trying him on other stuff I changed to collards, because the composition is much better. He seems to like both equally, which isn't very much at the minute.

Cheers!

jimmyjj

Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Try James wellboved or wainrights, both from pets at home. I use 80% dry and 20% wet
We also mix in chicken or pork.
Scrambled eggs
Bulldogs love fruit and veg but no grapes or raisins

If the above is to expensive skinners is usually ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

OP
G

gus2014

May 19, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
It's called collards that I'm currently feeding him on and it is a similar composition and price to james well beloved. How often do you mix in scrambled eggs and that. Would it be ok for him to have scrambled egg mixed every morning for breakfast?

Cheers

jimmyjj

Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Morning or night, a lot of folk also give there dogs natural yoghurt and fruit as a added
Extra.

I ll check that brand out tonight.
It's possible he's just went off his food?
Mix in a bit of cottage cheese to see if he eats it,
Have you tryed another flavour ?
I ll pm you later when I have a look at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

jimmyjj

Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
[MENTION=11903]gus2014[/MENTION]. I am sending you a private message now. I have looked up your dog food and it says the protein is crude, it's isn't proper protein, it could be anything from crushed chicken bones to gristle

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.