Thread: Changes in my bulldog's behavior; is it old age or underlying issue?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bowser
    Likes (Received)

Default Changes in my bulldog's behavior; is it old age or underlying issue?

My bulldog, Bowser, has been displaying behavior / symptoms that are out of character over the last 2 months and I am trying to determine if he is just getting old or if perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye. A brief background on Bowser: he is 7 years old; around the age of 2 we discovered that he had cysteine stones forming in his bladder and he underwent 2 surgeries to remove the stones. He is now on a diet of Hill's K/D and takes potassium citrate pills to keep the stones under control. Since his surgeries he has been a happy, healthy, rambunctious little bully!

Over the last 2 months Bowser has slowed down considerably and has had an on-again, off-again flinching reaction when you put try to touch him on the left side of his face / ear. We took him to the vet, his urine looked fine, blood work came back clean, was tested for glaucoma which was negative, teeth look good with no visible signs of infection, ears looked good, no visible signs of tumors and was given an overall clean bill of health.

I would also like to mention that I am about 8 months pregnant with my first child and there have been many changes happening in our house lately to prepare for the baby, the most notable being that my brother and his dog who have lived with us for 3 years have just moved out.

Lately Bowser is slow to react, ignores commands, seems to be sleeping more than normal and is just generally disinterested in anything going on around him. And he still occasionally flinches on his left side. Is this typical of old age? Has anyone experienced something similar and discovered an underlying health issue? Please help, I'm concerned about my pup!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Changes in my bulldog's behavior; is it old age or underlying issue?

Hi, if everything came back negative for infections, or other health issues came back negative with the vet, then I wouldn't worry too much, but he could be missing your brothers dog, maybe he misses his company since he moved out? I hope Bowser feels better soon.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sukie and Tucker
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Changes in my bulldog's behavior; is it old age or underlying issue?

Did he get along with the other dog? Might be he misses a companion. Also they know when changes are about to happen with preparing for the baby

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bowser
    Likes (Received)

Yes, they got along great. We are to the point where it seems likely that all of these changes happening around him so quickly are putting him in a funk. I just don't want to miss something else that he could be suffering from.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

He just needs to readjust, I wouldn't worry. Congratulations on your baby

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser509 View Post
    Yes, they got along great. We are to the point where it seems likely that all of these changes happening around him so quickly are putting him in a funk. I just don't want to miss something else that he could be suffering from.

This is my guess to since he is healthy and so many changes going on ---- Bulldog = OCD and the changes are somewhat unsettleing to him, give him time to adjust and he should fall back into himself.

to EBN and congrats on the new baby!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Remove Ads