Help Needed! Changes in my bulldog's behavior; is it old age or underlying issue?

Bowser509

May 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
My bulldog, Bowser, has been displaying behavior / symptoms that are out of character over the last 2 months and I am trying to determine if he is just getting old or if perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye. A brief background on Bowser: he is 7 years old; around the age of 2 we discovered that he had cysteine stones forming in his bladder and he underwent 2 surgeries to remove the stones. He is now on a diet of Hill's K/D and takes potassium citrate pills to keep the stones under control. Since his surgeries he has been a happy, healthy, rambunctious little bully!

Over the last 2 months Bowser has slowed down considerably and has had an on-again, off-again flinching reaction when you put try to touch him on the left side of his face / ear. We took him to the vet, his urine looked fine, blood work came back clean, was tested for glaucoma which was negative, teeth look good with no visible signs of infection, ears looked good, no visible signs of tumors and was given an overall clean bill of health.

I would also like to mention that I am about 8 months pregnant with my first child and there have been many changes happening in our house lately to prepare for the baby, the most notable being that my brother and his dog who have lived with us for 3 years have just moved out.

Lately Bowser is slow to react, ignores commands, seems to be sleeping more than normal and is just generally disinterested in anything going on around him. And he still occasionally flinches on his left side. Is this typical of old age? Has anyone experienced something similar and discovered an underlying health issue? Please help, I'm concerned about my pup!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, if everything came back negative for infections, or other health issues came back negative with the vet, then I wouldn't worry too much, but he could be missing your brothers dog, maybe he misses his company since he moved out? I hope Bowser feels better soon.

mo77511

Jan 23, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sukie and Tucker
Did he get along with the other dog? Might be he misses a companion. Also they know when changes are about to happen with preparing for the baby

OP
B

Bowser509

May 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Yes, they got along great. We are to the point where it seems likely that all of these changes happening around him so quickly are putting him in a funk. I just don't want to miss something else that he could be suffering from.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He just needs to readjust, I wouldn't worry. Congratulations on your baby :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, they got along great. We are to the point where it seems likely that all of these changes happening around him so quickly are putting him in a funk. I just don't want to miss something else that he could be suffering from.

This is my guess to since he is healthy and so many changes going on ---- Bulldog = OCD and the changes are somewhat unsettleing to him, give him time to adjust and he should fall back into himself.

:welcome3: to EBN and congrats on the new baby!

📰 Latest posts

Members online