[Suggestion?] Getting Spayed While Treating Red Mange?

Maruko

Feb 24, 2014
Dallas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maruko
Hi everyone! I need your help on this!

Unfortunately Maruko was diagnosed with Demodex mange two weeks ago, it's localized, about three of a nickel sized spots. So the Vet has been giving her ivermectin to take orally every day. She will finish her 2 weeks dosage by this Sunday. These spots are not getting better, so I assume we will need more treatment.

She will turn 6 months old by the end of this month, so I want to discuss "getting her spayed" with the Vet on Monday when I take her back for check up. I have some concerns on this issue and I want to get some opinions before talking to the Vet, cuz I know the Vet has been a bit pushy on this matter.

1. The main reason for red mange is suppressed immune system, should she go through surgery during this period of time? Anesthesia could really hurt her immune system again.
2. If I wait longer till she is in heat, I read " reproductive hormones in female dogs in heat (estrus) or in pregnant dogs can cause worsening of the mites or make it more difficult to control them. " And going in heat could be stressful for her too.

I'm in a dilemma whether to get her spayed or not!

What's your suggestions?

Thank you!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ugh... Talk about a rock and a hard place..... I have no experience with mange but some members do... I will tag a few to see if they can help

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Boy thats a tough call. Although I would think a spay surgery would be less stressful (more stress causes more immune system issues) than a heat cycle, since its a shorter time frame if all goes well, but either way horomones will also go crazy with either choice.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I would ask your vet and talk to him regarding your concerns about spay surgery and treatment of the mange. It doesn't sound like she has a really bad case of mange, and she is being treated for it, but you also have valid concerns, as mange is caused by a low immune system or response, and surgery can be stressful or traumatic which can also cause the Immune system to be lowered due to the stress, and also some medications, especially antibiotics can also play havoc with the immune system. You should also ask your vet whether she can continue with her medications for treatment of the mange at the same time as the medications needed after spay surgery. She may have to discontinue her mange treatment for a week or so, and what would happen to her mange during that time? Spay surgery is typically a one day surgery with most dogs going home the same day, and recovery is usually quick and easy, generally a week, so putting off surgery to finish her treatment wouldn't delay it too long, and then she could have her surgery. I would ask all these questions to your vet, and see what he recommends, and then make your decision based on what you feel comfortable with.
There are a few natural supplements you can add to your bullies routine that help boost the immune system, we add 1 Tbsp. of plain unsweetened yogurt to our guys morning kibble everyday, this provides an excellent source of probiotics that are good for digestion, and also boost the Immune system, we also add 1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday, it is a natural anti inflammatory, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so boosts the immune system, and it also balances the Ph levels of the blood, we add 1 Tbsp. of salmon oil to their evening kibble for the Omega Oils as well. These are all natural so will not hurt your dog, and you can use the same products that you would buy for yourself at the drugstore, or a health food store. They tend to be less expensive than if you buy them from your vet.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Boy thats a tough call. Although I would think a spay surgery would be less stressful (more stress causes more immune system issues) than a heat cycle, since its a shorter time frame if all goes well, but either way horomones will also go crazy with either choice.

I am not a Vet., but sometimes do play one at home. I would say having her spayed at this time, would be much less stressful on her system, than allowing her to go into her heat cycle, which would be alot more hormonal stress on her system. I would say go ahead and have her spayed. BUT she is your baby and the final decision must be yours!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with the others and say go ahead and spay her, that would be less stressful on her. Plus it will take a little while for the hair to grow back anyway.

OP
Maruko

Maruko

Feb 24, 2014
Dallas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maruko
Thank you all for your replies! I'm leaning towards to have her spayed at this time, and your answers really helped me to feel better about this.

I will talk to the vet and thanks for sharing the questions to ask the Vet. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Maruko

Maruko

Feb 24, 2014
Dallas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maruko
I want to post an update here in case someone with the same question comes across to this topic.

Maruko's mange is getting better now, after 3 weeks' treatment, it went worse for about a week. She got red bumps all over her and mange was spreading quicker than before. But after that week, she got way better! I think this period is necessary that because the dog is now full of dead and dying mites, things have to get worse before it gets better.
http://happydognaturals.com/what-to-expect-when-treating-mange/ This is a very good article I found that I think every worried parent should read if their baby has mange.

About spaying her, surprisingly the vet that used to be very pushy about getting her spayed soon actually suggested not to do anything to her before her mange is completely treated. I wasn't 100% sure about the vet as I don't see bulldogs in his clinic, although I chose him based on his good reviews. But after this conversation, I know he is a good doctor for my baby, and it made me feel a lot better that he is very confident he could heal Maruko before she goes in heat.

I will add this hospital to DFW vet list.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online