JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Hi All,

A friend of mine adopted her first bulldog, I'm trying to get her to sign up here but she's going through a lot right now and doesn't have the time. I told her i would check into her issues here for her. This is her first bulldog and was totally not expecting how high maintenance these dogs are. She has been around since we adopted Ruthie and knew all our issues with her, but Tanks issues are coming as a shock to her since she never dealt with a bully before.

So her bulldog, Tank is all broken out on his chin and face. She uses wipes on him, keeps his folds dry, clean, uses stainless steel bowls..etc. He is also shedding like crazy and his gas is outrageous. She feeds him Iams Proactive health. I told her it might be a food issue and needs a better food. Any thoughts on this will be helpful. I know i didn't give a lot of information so if you have questions i'll answer them.

Thanks!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It very well could be food related. At least that would be the first place that I would start with.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I agree that transitioning to a high quality food would be a great first step. Jennie, how about printing her a list of the food ratings we have here so she'll have an idea?

Banjo7

Mar 1, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Banjo
How old is the pup? Banjo broke out until he was about a year old. We cleaned his face every day and used the bowls. We did purchase some vet pads that dried them out, but he eventually grew out of it. We use Fromme Family foods.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree that transitioning to a high quality food would be a great first step. Jennie, how about printing her a list of the food ratings we have here so she'll have an idea?
Thanks, I will do that and I'm also sending her a bag of Fromm Pork and Peas because Ruthie and Bruts do so good on that food.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks, I will do that and I'm also sending her a bag of Fromm Pork and Peas because Ruthie and Bruts do so good on that food.

Great thinking, Buster had the same until we switched to pork and peas. Tell her we don't bite here and we would love to see some pics of her bully.

msericathatcher

Apr 18, 2014
Norfolk, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
When Bentley broke out his first time I tried everything under and over the sun. Then I took all of his toys away - he was having a reaction to the latex toys and certain rubber toys too. Won't help with the gas but an idea? Also maybe she can wash his bedding he may be bringing pollen in and having a reaction.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I think everyone has the right idea. Try a better food. Give him some plain yogurt everyday. She could also switch from stainless steel to glass -such as pyrex. The yogurt, I believe really helps with the gas situation. Could also try Boudreaux's (sp) Butt Paste on his chin.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
yes i agree with all the statements above. But first I would strongly recommend changing the food. Especially to a grain free food. And then also tell her she wont see results up to 3 month so she doesnt keep changing it thinking its not working. But I can almost guarantee it has to be the food. I have never seen a bulldog do good on IAMS but I am just speaking from reviews rather than experience.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Great thinking, Buster had the same until we switched to pork and peas. Tell her we don't bite here and we would love to see some pics of her bully.
I'll have her send me some and i'll post them!

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone!!! I ordered her a bag of pork and peas. I'll probably keep reordering for her for the next couple months until we know its definitely working!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone!!! I ordered her a bag of pork and peas. I'll probably keep reordering for her for the next couple months until we know its definitely working!

:up:

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
How old is the pup? Banjo broke out until he was about a year old. We cleaned his face every day and used the bowls. We did purchase some vet pads that dried them out, but he eventually grew out of it. We use Fromme Family foods.

I completely agree with you. Riggins face/chin broke out terribly! He just turned 1. He still has a few little spots but our vet said he should grow out of it. We were also told to clean his stainless steel bowl every day. They get a lot of bacteria in their water that will make their sores worse. And we also purchase the vet pads as well. Lol. AND we are transitioning him back to Fromm because he had zero problems on the Fromm but we had switched him to Canidae. His gas, digestion, allergies, bumps...everything seemed to get worse. So back to the more expensive but completely worth it Fromm 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.