Mack Is Becoming a Grumpy Old Man

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Mack is 7&1/2 years old. His vertebrae are fusing, his whole spine is pretty much involved. He gets a doggie dose of asprin for that. Last spring we found out he had an irregular heartbeat so he takes a heart medication. My concern is he is getting so grumpy. He growls at his 4 year old "brother", Ruggles. Ruggles responds by totally backing off whatever they were doing and takes shelter by me or leaves the room. I can tell Ruggles' feelings are hurt. Mack also growls at the cat when he is on my lap and she wants up on my lap too. He used to welcome Katze (cat) and enjoy snuggling her. Could Mack know his health is going downhill and is trying to remain top dog by growling at his furry siblings? There has been no fighting, just Mack growling. Should I not worry about it because there is no fighting? Ruggles has a wonderful temperment; he is Bulldog # 6 and has the best temperment of all.

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
Despite the asprin, he's probably in alot of pain!!! I don't think its so much still trying to be top dog as he's afraid of being hurt. With spinal damage like that its probably very uncomfortable for him in day to day life.

I have sciatic nerve issues myself and I know when I don't have my medication, I do NOT want to be touched. Even the lightest touch can be very very painful.

Have you considered putting him on a condroitin and glucosamine supplement to help his spine. I'm sure his hips are probably involved as well.

OP
Alice Kable

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Mack has been on glucosamine and condroitin daily since we found out about the spine. He was 3 and the bottom 2 vertebrae were fused, the third partially fused. I am just thankful that he has so much power in his front and can still go on short walks, get up on the couch, etc.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Can't the vet give him an anti-inflamitory pill? I would think that would help more than an asprin, Just wondering,?? if all that is going on he has to be inflammed and in pain! And we all know when we are in pain we want to be left alone YET get attention from the ones that love us!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree with everyone else the pain would make me grumpy also. Hopefully there is a higher dose of something he can get to help. Poor thing. :(

OP
Alice Kable

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Thanks for the comments. I really don't think he is having much pain. He jumps up on the couch and up in the recliner, and frequently launches off of them when he sees something that needs to be barked at. All of this done without a yelp or groan. He does yip when someone accidently steps on his paw (he is underfoot when I'm cooking), so I know he is sensitive to pain.

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
The thing is, dogs have an instinctual need to hide their pain. Showing pain shows vulnerability and weakness. If a dog in the pack is weak or sick it can't hunt for itself and risks loosing its place. I'm POSITIVE the pain is alot for him to deal with, he's showing you that in his cranky attitude. He probably wouldn't be so cranky if it didn't hurt so much.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Alice..you might ask your vet about gabapentin. We used it on our Rottie with great success. It's used in humans to help with seizures by blocking nerve signals (pain) to the brain. Our poor girl had such horrible spinal stenosis, she spent a weekend in such pain. Our regular vet tried everything including the Fentanyl patch..which is used for end stage pain management in terminal cancer patients..and it did nothing! We transferred to a teaching hospital and within an hour and ONE pill of gabapentin, she was pain free. Our regular vet wasn't aware of it being used in dogs, and was amazed. It's not expensive and has no side effects. She did have to remain on it forever, but since surgery was not an option, we had no problem with that. In fact, two years later, after she was diagnosed with bone cancer, we discovered that the gabapentin and her Tramadol were what was used to control the pain in that also. I just upped her dosage as needed. I think @2BullyMama uses it for Banks too.

[MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION]

OP
Alice Kable

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] thanks for the suggestion of a pain med. I have talked it over with Mack's vet and he thinks we should wait until he needs it more. Actually, getting Mack off chicken, corn, rice, potato. milk, and pork he is not grumpy, doesn't have a rumble tummy. Also, I have made a point of sitting and snuggling mostly with Mack. Ruggles sits with my husband and is okay with that. At least once or twice a day Ruggles and I have some time with just the 2 of us!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@JAKEISGREAT thanks for the suggestion of a pain med. I have talked it over with Mack's vet and he thinks we should wait until he needs it more. Actually, getting Mack off chicken, corn, rice, potato. milk, and pork he is not grumpy, doesn't have a rumble tummy. Also, I have made a point of sitting and snuggling mostly with Mack. Ruggles sits with my husband and is okay with that. At least once or twice a day Ruggles and I have some time with just the 2 of us!

I love snuggles over drugs! Just put it in your bag of tricks!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im also wondering if upping his joint meds would help. i give sarah 2 cosequin ds pills a day since she hurt her front leg and has a limp that wont go away. just a suggestion. i hope he feels better.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Alice..you might ask your vet about gabapentin. We used it on our Rottie with great success. It's used in humans to help with seizures by blocking nerve signals (pain) to the brain. Our poor girl had such horrible spinal stenosis, she spent a weekend in such pain. Our regular vet tried everything including the Fentanyl patch..which is used for end stage pain management in terminal cancer patients..and it did nothing! We transferred to a teaching hospital and within an hour and ONE pill of gabapentin, she was pain free. Our regular vet wasn't aware of it being used in dogs, and was amazed. It's not expensive and has no side effects. She did have to remain on it forever, but since surgery was not an option, we had no problem with that. In fact, two years later, after she was diagnosed with bone cancer, we discovered that the gabapentin and her Tramadol were what was used to control the pain in that also. I just upped her dosage as needed. I think @2BullyMama uses it for Banks too.

@Alice Kable

Yes, Banks is on it for her back issues, as well. At this point, she is on 1 pill of Gabapentin in the PM and 2 Tramadol in the AM since she sleeps all day while we are at work, we determined just the one in the afternoon will get her through her active hours which is 4 - 8 PM (Eastern)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Hey, if it gets him extra snuggles and alone time with mom, he just might keep being grumpy.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online