Neutering advice

Sep 20, 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BUDDHA JANAVARA (AWAKEN THE BEAST)
How late is it too late to neutered a dog buddha is two, and we have been thinking of getting him neutered. He's a great dog good temperament the only issue is we can't take him to dog parks without him trying to hump the girl dogs. There's also other reasons I'm scared of putting him through another surgery, as well as his temperament changing. And the big one having people constantly asking me to breed him. Which we ruled out when Buddha began having all those eye problems. So now we are wondering if it's too late to have our buddha neutered. And also I had my terroir neutered when he was a pup and they removed everything but my boyfriends pit bull got neutered and they left his sack is there any reason why that would be? I assumed so it wouldn't be as stressful as taking it all off which if it is the case I would like that for Buddha or am I just being crazy and it makes no difference lol

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Brenda, there really is no right or wrong answer to when the best time to neuter is, it's an individual decision. And it's never too late to neuter. It doesn't always stop your dog from humping, but it can, and it did in my males' case. They sometimes hump to show dominance, but my Dozer did settle down after being neutered. There are also many benefits to neutering, in my case I have a male and female, and they are litter mates, so couldn't separate them, and obviously not planning on breeding them. If you are not going to Stud him, then there are many pros to neutering such as, it reduces there risk of cancers, it reduces the risk of them wandering or running away looking for females in heat, which can cause them to get lost, or hit by a car, and it can sometimes stop humping.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
If you're going to do it, two years old is a good age to have it done.

But, there is absolutely no reason to neuter males for health reasons. The testicular cancer argument is moot. A male of any species has a chance of getting it, yet we don't neuter them. So why do we neuter dogs? Only population control as far as I can tell. At least that's my opinion.

But like @Vikinggirl said, there are social reasons and the ones she pointed out, such as wandering, looking for a female in heat and getting lost is a true concern. Especially if you live in a house, and tend to let your dogs out without supervision or unleashed.
Currently, my vet and I are debating the social aspect of it. I'm not convinced it's a good enough reason. Especially since new studies are coming out from reputable veterinary schools showing the benefits of not castrating.

As for the humping, it's not only hormones. There's also a dominance issue involved with this behavior. So depending on why he's humping, it may or may not go away. I've met plenty of dogs that were humpers pre-castration and are still
humpers post castration. My Blue humps other dogs, that's how he plays. He loves pitties because they play rough ,and whomever gets on top gets to hump the other. I know it's dominance issue with him and I doubt castrating him would make it stop.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Monica and Ellie gave you great info......... agreed

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
My boys were both nuetered when they were pups before I got them and they still hump, my friend has a female bully that humps also so I don't think that will change but I would have had them nuetered anyway because of marking..my brothers male boston terrier is not nuetered and marks everything..I would not be able to deal with that

Staff online

Members online