Overweight??

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
I took Bocephus to the vet today. He got a clean bill of health 😊 but the vet said at 55lbs, he needs to lose 5lbs and we should decrease the amount of food he eats. So how much should a 3yo bulldog be eating? He eats blue buffalo grain free. Any thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Generally as they get older you usually feed a bit less than when they were a pup but not always. How much are you feeding per meal per day now? For losing weight if you are feeding kibble you can replace half of it with green beans at each feeding and he will start to lose weight.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Generally as they get older you usually feed a bit less than when they were a pup but not always. How much are you feeding per meal per day now? For losing weight if you are feeding kibble you can replace half of it with green beans at each feeding and he will start to lose weight.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

He gets 2 coffee cups a day. I dumped a coffee cup full of food into a 1cup measuring cup and there was still a little left in the coffee cup... So I'm guessing he's getting 1.25 cups twice a day.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
cut the kibble in half and add frozen grren beans as the other half.... the 5lbs will drop in no time. Then get a dry measuring cup for a level 1 cup in the AM and 1 cup in the PM and he will maintain the weight.

If you are using a coffe cup or a liquid measuing cup -- it is way more than an actual cup of dry kibble

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
cut the kibble in half and add frozen grren beans as the other half.... the 5lbs will drop in no time. Then get a dry measuring cup for a level 1 cup in the AM and 1 cup in the PM and he will maintain the weight.

If you are using a coffe cup or a liquid measuing cup -- it is way more than an actual cup of dry kibble

Should green beans be frozen when I give them to him? Is the measuring cup one uses to bake with the dry kind? Do I just do this until he loses 5lbs?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Should green beans be frozen when I give them to him? Is the measuring cup one uses to bake with the dry kind? Do I just do this until he loses 5lbs? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not have to be frozen, I use them cause it is easy and Babks loves them. usually the glass (Pyrex) are liquid, I went to Target and actually bought cups that specfically stated 'dry ingredient' to ensure I was not over feeding --- Baks has very bad HD and a bad spine so I have to be very careful with her weight management. She has to stay under 60lbs.... and this is what I do if she ever goes over... works like a charm. then back to her normal routine. She tends to go over in the winter due to less activity level

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Do not have to be frozen, I use them cause it is easy and Babks loves them. usually the glass (Pyrex) are liquid, I went to Target and actually bought cups that specfically stated 'dry ingredient' to ensure I was not over feeding --- Baks has very bad HD and a bad spine so I have to be very careful with her weight management. She has to stay under 60lbs.... and this is what I do if she ever goes over... works like a charm. then back to her normal routine. She tends to go over in the winter due to less activity level

Yes I think it was just our brutal winter. He's between 49-51 pounds since he was 1- he will be 4 in December. Thanks for your help!

Members online