Help Needed! Daily vomiting

Don Giovani

Dec 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovani
Hi All, My bully is now 2 years old. Since January he is vomiting his food. At first, it was occasionally and then it become daily. We went to the vet who could not diagnose anything. We put him under Omeprazol to stop the vomiting ( one a day). It works for the first week and then even with the pill he was vomiting a yellow bile with his food. We kept the first pill and add Primperan ( one a day).
He got better but still vomiting some liquid and all the food which was not digest. He normally does it after his afternoon sleep around 4PM( I feed him twice a day around 8h00 -night 19h00). FYI, the food is always at 15 cm from the floor.

So we went again to the Vet, he did a contrast radiography and noticed that the contrast was going really slow. He said it means a low activity of the stomach but nothing else. So we changed the food from Royal Canin bulldog to Gastro intestinal Royal canin.
The food is smaller and he is digesting it better. But still he vomit once a day, a yellow bile for no reason. Thankfully he went back on his normal weight with his new food.

Now we went today for an echography and Guess what. Nothing. Next step will be to check the stomach with a camera under full anesthetic. Does anyone has the same issues? What could it be? He is always happy, playful, eat normally, drink normally, sleep well.

I would like to have you feedback if anyone has had this issue with their bully.:unsure:

Thank you.

Celine

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had this with my boy when he was right about this age.... turned out he was allergic to rice! Where do you live, I am thinking UK or Canada due to the metric reference? Knowing the country you are in helps us provide some suggestions on food.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
The first thing that came into mind was something w/the esophagus. When it's weak, it can contribute to GERD or gastroesophageal regugurgitation. I'm guessing the vet already ruled that out? And usually meds like omeprazole can help with that but I see Giovani has already had a trial of it. Also, is it vomit or regurgitation b/c there is a difference between the two. What Christine mentioned re. food allergies is interesting and something to look at too. I hope you will find an answer soon for your little guy.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The first thing that came into mind was something w/the esophagus. When it's weak, it can contribute to GERD or gastroesophageal regugurgitation. I'm guessing the vet already ruled that out? And usually meds like omeprazole can help with that but I see Giovani has already had a trial of it. Also, is it vomit or regurgitation b/c there is a difference between the two. What Christine mentioned re. food allergies is interesting and something to look at too. I hope you will find an answer soon for your little guy.

I was thinking the same thing Henny… but then again it could be a food allergy like Christine was saying. I hope that you can figure out what is going on soon...

OP
Don Giovani

Don Giovani

Dec 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovani
Hi Christine, we are in Spain. Yes thank you for the link. That s exactly what I am thinking all the time. What did we change? but I don t know. In Europe we have Royal Canin or Pro plan. I was thinking to try Pro plan salmon but according to the Vet it s not the food.
To Henni: Yes It s vomiting no regurgitation. I read about esophagus as well but we have confirm with the VET that is not that. At the moment we are trying to eliminate all the possibility one by one.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Christine, we are in Spain. Yes thank you for the link. That s exactly what I am thinking all the time. What did we change? but I don t know. In Europe we have Royal Canin or Pro plan. I was thinking to try Pro plan salmon but according to the Vet it s not the food.
To Henni: Yes It s vomiting no regurgitation. I read about esophagus as well but we have confirm with the VET that is not that. At the moment we are trying to eliminate all the possibility one by one.

In re-reading the feeding times, that is a bog window ... Can you give him a small portion in between those meals or a snack of some type?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It could be the food, I would change to a grain free food if you can. Plus you can try feeding him three times a day to see if that helps. Maybe the smaller portions three times a day will help.

Bendy

Feb 23, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
We had something similar with spike, it would happen after he'd been asleep, he would wake up and start snorting and vomit yellow/frothy liquid, our vet prescribed a powder called biscal which can be added to food or water and antibiotics which seemed to clear it up but it did reoccur again once the medication finished so he was given another week on the meds, we had him allergy tested due to other symptoms and it turns out he does have food allergies, so whether the snorting and vomiting was linked to the food allergy I don't know but fingers crossed it's not happened since changing his food.

OP
Don Giovani

Don Giovani

Dec 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovani
Hi All, thanks again for all the advise. Today the VET gave us a pill to help the stomach working faster. I will start as well to add a meal in between and I will see what happen from there. Thank you.

KentuckyBully

Jun 28, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mickey and Minnie
My friend had the same experience with her boxer. In Jan he started vomiting his food throughout the day. I recommended my vet and they totally changed his diet to kangaroo food. The vomiting stopped.

OP
Don Giovani

Don Giovani

Dec 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovani
Thank you for your help. So we find out that he had a yellow bill in the stomach due to a slow metabolism. So he is under motilium and ursuchol one time a day and it s working perfectly. We do feed him 3 times a day as well. One pill is to make the bill more liquid and the other to help the stomach work faster. He is happy, play a lot and has a normal weight now!:)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for your help. So we find out that he had a yellow bill in the stomach due to a slow metabolism. So he is under motilium and ursuchol one time a day and it s working perfectly. We do feed him 3 times a day as well. One pill is to make the bill more liquid and the other to help the stomach work faster. He is happy, play a lot and has a normal weight now!:)

That's great!! :up:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thank you for the positive update, [MENTION=7235]Don Giovani[/MENTION]! i'm glad to hear that Giovani is feeling so much better!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.