voodoo211

May 13, 2014
Watford City, NoDak
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
VooDoo Lou Nanne
Hello,

We are new to the Forum. We have a 5 month old English Bully. Sweet Lou Nanne. My Hubs was playing pretty hard with him like a Month ago. All of a sudden he was laying on his side and the only thing moving was his eyes. He was like this for about 30 seconds. We giggled at first, but then my hubs scooped him up and held him. he regained all his movement but was very chill after that. My hubs was very concerned, I thought me just got over heated.

This happened again two days ago, while playing with the neighbor dog. Again, I thought he was just done playing, maybe a little over heated. we got some water and just chilled out. I was at work last night and the Hubs said it happened again yesterday. He came to me for lovin' when I got home last night. But he has been totally chill since then. Very Concerned now!!! please help.

We are in Watford City ND USA, working in the oil fields. Lou just had surgery last Tuesday for Cherry Eye and we took his buddies at the same time. Surgery went fantastic. I like our vet, but not sure how Bully knowledgeable he is.
waiting for a call back from him, but kinda trippin' now.

Xoxo

Lou's Mama

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm sorry you're going through this with your baby. I don't have any experience with seizures, but hopefully some members with experience in this will come along soon and be able to give you some information or advice. It still could be caused from him playing too hard, and him being winded after play. I have two EB's, they are siblings, and they can horse play pretty rough with other sometimes, I have to watch them when they overdo it, and they start to pant, they haven't had the symptoms that you described of not moving, but they will pant a lot and start to drool, and then I know they've had enough playing or running around. I separate them and make them lay down, one will usually jump up beside me on the couch, and the other on the other couch, or they will both just lay on the floor but in different spots, and they will pant for a while, and then slowly their breathing gets back to normal and they will sleep for a long time. I really watch them for this, and I don't let them play like that outside unless its early in the morning and not hot, or on a fall day when the weather isn't too hot. I hope it's nothing serious, and he's okay. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way. Please keep us posted on what the vet says.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome:to the site. First of all, if he just had Cherry eye surgery, I don't think he should be playing for awhile, until his eye is healed. If, while he is laying on his side, his eyes are flicking from side to side, it sounds like he may be having petit mal seizures. If he does have a seizure disorder, getting over stimulated can set him off. If and when it happens again, video it, and also his eyes, so you can show it to your vet. There is no way he can tell what it is-he needs to see it! Your boy just had surgery-he should not have rough play. If it is seizures, and they happen too often they can give him meds.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] has a sweet boy with epilepsy and can help... get a video camera handy and post a video if it happens again and she will be able to help you. Hold on... she has great experience and tons of info she can share with you

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Hi there! First off....I know you are very scared and very worried. 5 months old is just short of when Vegas was diagnosed. Video is a must. It's so hard to tell someone what is happening without showing them. Keep a camera handy and record any part of it you can. It very well could be a petit mal seizure....but it could be something else also. The very first time Vegas had a seizure.....he over exerted himself playing at our very first English Bulldog meetup.

Go to you tube and google dog seizures, dog epilepsy, dog petit mal, dog grand mal and see it you can find a video that may look close to what you are experiencing. With just the eyes moving...it seems neurological, but it could be something as easy as low blood sugar. We have tons of informational videos on youtube, so you might just run into one with Vegas in it.

Good luck and keep your chin up. This is just one of several things it could be.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have nothing to add, just my support… plenty of members on here to help you with this. Keep us posted!!! ;)

OP
V

voodoo211

May 13, 2014
Watford City, NoDak
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
VooDoo Lou Nanne
I am thankful for finding this forum. Thank You all so much for your replies. It means so much to us.
We have a vet appointment on Thursday. I will keep you posted on what he says.
I will definitely video when it happens again. I am going to check out You Tube now.

I have to admit. I have never had a Bully before. I was a Rottie and Pit girl. MY Hubs had been around Bully's. When we lost our Rottie in 2006, I swore I would never get another dog. We got Lou for my birthday in February. When we were training Lou, I would get upset and say he will always be my number two. That lasted about a 2 weeks. I have never seen more personality, charm, smarts, and just plain goofiness. He just keeps getting more adorable by the day. I could not imagine life without him.

Xoxo

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would get upset and say he will always be my number two. That lasted about a 2 weeks. I have never seen more personality, charm, smarts, and just plain goofiness. He just keeps getting more adorable by the day. I could not imagine life without him. Xoxo

The little buggers suck you in... and steal the heart! Keep us posted on how he is doing --

OP
V

voodoo211

May 13, 2014
Watford City, NoDak
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
VooDoo Lou Nanne
Ok so I just went to youtube and watched several videos. I saw Vegas, he was the first video. Sooooo Sad, Soooo Cute. That is crazy. I found nothing even similar in all videos, to what is happening! so not a seizure I guess.

Lou seriously is just laying there like he is taking a break. Know one would think anything is wrong with him if you walked up to him. He has no twitching in his eyes. No movement of the body, he is not stiff.

He will be running along and it looks like he fells down clumsy and then does not move from that position. You can call for him, or say the word treats, Nothing! when you walk up to him, he will make total eye contact with you. My hubs will scoop him up and hold him for a couple minutes and he will return to normal, but then be very very chill for several hours. I started looking things up about 7:30 this morning and he finally just came and laid in my lap an hour ago. He is now normal again and snoring away....
I am so puzzled I cant find anything. Still searching. Will keep you post. Thank You all so much for all the support.
xoxo

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Maybe he feels faint?

Some blood circulation off because of so much play and running?
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] what happened when O fainted that one time? Was it reverse sneeze?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
That's scary! I wouldn't rule out seizure activity. Loki has had 2 seizures now the first one was small lasted only a few seconds but I didn't know at that point that is was a seizure he looked like I scared him out of a bad dream: panting having trouble breathing, his eyes were not focusing one anything and unfortunately losing his bladder. The 2nd was a grand mal scary stuff. I would recommend keeping him chill for a while and having your vet run a full blood panel to see if something is off. We have to make sure that Loki doesn't get to rowdy or not sleep enough since we have kind of determined that both of those things put him into a weird panic state. Bullies love to play and make their parents happy sad thing is they are not very good at taking a time out because they are tired or hot they keep going welcome to being a bully referee :)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Maybe he feels faint?

Some blood circulation off because of so much play and running?
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] what happened when O fainted that one time? Was it reverse sneeze?

On that occasion O was trying to throw up. Her stomach was rolling and you could hear it......I believe she passed out from lack of oxygen. As soon as she hit the floor she started breathing again.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Most seizures I have seen-both petit and grand-the eyes are staring, as if sightless, or jerking. There is also a condition which is not common called myotonia, where if over stimulated, or startled, they will collapse. It is a sort of "misfire of the muscles". Also possible drop in blood sugar-but usually need something sweet to conteract that.

drmom89

May 14, 2014
Look this up on Google. Bulldogs are known to have some strange head and facial movements that are related to myotonia. No one knows exactly why. Jammy had her first episode a few months ago. It does happen when they are active/playing. Sometimes just putting a hand on her or petting her makes it stop. I'm a dr and it really freaked me out the first time. I can only imagine how worried you've been. It doesn't affect their quality of life or life span. There are some people who believe it has something to do with allergies, but there is no medical research that supports this. I hope this helps.

OP
V

voodoo211

May 13, 2014
Watford City, NoDak
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
VooDoo Lou Nanne
Hi everyone. Thank You all so much again! We went to the vet yesterday and He did some blood work. We are waiting for results. Vet advise to video next episode if possible. I mentioned myotonia and Dr Seth is going to look into it further.
I will keep you posted on our results.
Xoxo

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.