Help Friends! Another UTI

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Hi there - I know I keep popping in randomly saying how crazy things are & then never coming back! We just moved on Friday. Penny woke up today with another UTI (peed in her crate & it's that terrible telltale smell...). Of course, we don't have a new vet here yet, but we have a recommendation from the local bulldog club & they are only 10 mins from our house. I am planning to call when they open at 8.

Any ideas why these keep coming back? This is the 3rd one since February/March. The first one came back after a week off of the antibiotics. They did xrays which showed no kidney stones and put her on a stronger antibiotic which seemed to kick it. Here we are again. If anything she is drinking more & going out more bc of the layout of our new house & yard, so I really don't feel like that's any part of all of this. Our old vet said if it came back again that they would probably want to do an ultrasound bc xrays can sometimes miss stones.

Has anyone else dealt this this? Any tips or things I should as the vet?

Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor little Penny.... I had this issue with Banks when she was 1-2 years old, turned out she had WAY too much skin, tissue in the girl parts area which was just not giving enough air to the area -- and needed to get a vulvaplasty

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Here's a quick update!

This new vet is a major blessing!

She figured out that her tail pocket is infected. We have never had any issues with it (That we knew of...wipe it out when we bathe her, etc). She's been scooting her bottom a lot which we attributed to allergies. The vet thinks maybe that the butt scooting is transferring some of bacteria from the tail pocket to her lady bits and causing the UTI's. So, we will do another round of antibiotics in addition to cleaning her tail twice a day with wipes and applying salve and see what happens with the UTI situation! She also had a yeast ear infection. Poor thing. I'm hoping that in a few days she'll be feeling better.

I felt like the worst bully mom ever. Loved the new vet though. Our other "bulldog vet" has never given her such a thorough exam!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hope she gets better soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Here's a quick update!

This new vet is a major blessing!

She figured out that her tail pocket is infected. We have never had any issues with it (That we knew of...wipe it out when we bathe her, etc). She's been scooting her bottom a lot which we attributed to allergies. The vet thinks maybe that the butt scooting is transferring some of bacteria from the tail pocket to her lady bits and causing the UTI's. So, we will do another round of antibiotics in addition to cleaning her tail twice a day with wipes and applying salve and see what happens with the UTI situation! She also had a yeast ear infection. Poor thing. I'm hoping that in a few days she'll be feeling better.

I felt like the worst bully mom ever. Loved the new vet though. Our other "bulldog vet" has never given her such a thorough exam!

Great news.... so hope that is the issue cause it is an easy fix! great job on getting a second opinion!!

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Thanks [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]. Me, too!!

drmom89

May 14, 2014
Jammy had a similar problem when she was a puppy. Her issue was somewhat like 2BullyMama. Her vaginal area was tipped and resulted in increased bacteria near her urethra. Luckily this problem disappeared as she got older and nothing had to be done. Sounds like your vet is great. Hope everything is better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions