How do you know if it is a UTI???

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
As I posted earlier this morning Vegas pee'd in his crate first time in his 19 month old life! We have been up since 8 and it is now 3 and he has pee'd 5 times already today. VERY unusual behavior for him, I work 10-4:30, 4 days a week and he holds it while I am at work.

He is acting all right, eating, drinking, playing but when I take him out he is on a dead run for "his spot that he picked to pee"

Do they show any other signs or is it just peeing alot? I can not take off work tomorrow and our Vet closes at 5, I am very worried!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
There will be blood sometimes in the urine and it will be very dark in color, not yellow but more orangy.....

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh and the amounts of pee will be less than normal, smaller puddles. You should try to catch his urine on a plate so you can take a good look at it. The smell is usually worse as well. He may also seem like he is straining when going pee.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], I will try to catch some, like I said he is eating, drinking (not more than normal) and playing. When he pee'd in his crate it was a huge puddle, same as outside, he does not seem to be in any pain but I am very worried! His pee did stink in his crate when I had to wash all the bedding, but that is the first time he has ever done that and so I don't know what his pee smells like since it is always in the grass. He is not staining to go either.. it is full force. I have had UTI's in the past but I usually ran a slight fever with it. I KNOW this is a stupid question, How do boy's get them? I know how girls can????

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure, but I think it can happen from holding urine for too long. Boys can get them just the same as girls :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ann reminded me that it could also be a bladder infection. Either way, sounds like a vet visit is in order.... dont worry yourself too much.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]... can you give cranberry juice or pills to the dogs for this as a remedy for just in case like we use for people? I would thinkbeing just a fruit maybe it would be worth a try to give for a few days if it is ok for dogs to have. I know the few infections I have ever had the cranberry pills or juice always work fast.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am not sure.... I just know drinking plenty of water is important.... so even if you add some (unsalted) beef broth to their water to make sure they drink it is good. When mine had one I was given an herbal supplement along with antibiotics.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
hmm idk reaaly. Beefy had really stinky pee when i first got him and i gave him cranberry juice and a teasppon of applecider vinegar along with pedialyte and in about a week it was a normal color and no more foul odor. Is he fixed? Sometimes they can release pheromones in their pee and it smells horrible!!!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
My friend's female German Shepherd just went through a bout with a UTI - the symptoms were, as desertsky mentioned, urinating more often, having the urge to urinate but not going much, painful urinate, blood in the urine. They are less common in males because they have a longer urethra but they can still get them nonetheless. If you go to the vet, they're going to try to get a urine sample, which they either try to get the dog to pee OR stick a syringe in to the bladder and extract the urine - which sounds really painful and of course, costs more money. Some vets will diagnose just based on the symptoms and it requires a cycle of antibiotics to clear it up. I would go to the vet and get to the bottom of it since the home remedies may or may not work and it sounds like he's already having some pretty definite symptoms.

Cat01

Jan 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Maddie
Due to Maddie's other issues, she has partial paralysis in her back legs due to spinal defect, she tends to get UTI's-so this is definitely one I know a little about. The symptoms for UTI are definitely there, and along with keeping Vegas well hydrated(ask your vet about making "pedialyte" at home with baking soda & water), a course of antibiotics is usually in order.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.