Switch Foods?

monkey10262

Jan 23, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Bear is 5 months old now and he has awful tear stains on both eyes. They are really really big and dark. He isn't super gassy but there's a normal amount and his poop is on and off with being firm. He literally goes from runny pudding poo to nice firm poo in a day or two.

When he came to us he was on Iams Puppy, I switched him to fromm puppy but he didn't like it and he was pooping about 8 times a day. Then we tried Natures Variety Instinct, he was pooping less but that's when I noticed the tear stains and the gas. Now we're on Blue Wilderness, he's pooping twice a day, has tons of energy and his coat looks great. But he still has gas and really bad tear stains. His poop is good one day, soft and runny the next. Should I try switching foods? He gets filtered water and he has stainless steel bowls. I can deal with the gas but the tear stains look really bad.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi there! Sounds like you've certainly tried some great foods. Have you tried the Fromm four star food yet? Many bullies do really great on the beef frittata.

Also, what is your routine for cleaning his tear stains? What products have you tried if any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
monkey10262

monkey10262

Jan 23, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I haven't tried the Four Star, that was going to be my next choice. I've tried clx wipes, baby wipes, and now I'm using half vinegar half alcohol to wipe his wrinkles. That was recommended by my breeder. :pray:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What is the protein source in the food... it could just be you need to change to beef or lamb or something else. Chicken tends to be issues for a lot.... have you tried a different protein in the NVI line?

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
I agree sounds like whatever source of protein it is, its not working for him. Try switching the meat source. Also make sure you dry the folds good after wiping.

OP
monkey10262

monkey10262

Jan 23, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
With the NVI I tried salmon and chicken. I was thinking maybe it was the chicken too since it seems like that's the only thing all of the foods have in common. What age can I switch to an adult food? The only blue wilderness for puppies has chicken. He's a little over 5 months now, would it be okay to switch now?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
With the NVI I tried salmon and chicken. I was thinking maybe it was the chicken too since it seems like that's the only thing all of the foods have in common. What age can I switch to an adult food? The only blue wilderness for puppies has chicken. He's a little over 5 months now, would it be okay to switch now?

I've noticed a few of the member have the same issue... chicken allergy and then a sensitvity to salmon. Usually anywhere around 6-8 months is OK to switch to adult food. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] --- any thoughts?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I haven't tried the Four Star, that was going to be my next choice. I've tried clx wipes, baby wipes, and now I'm using half vinegar half alcohol to wipe his wrinkles. That was recommended by my breeder. :pray:

Whoa... Half vinegar half alcohol is very strong and not even sure if that would even be safe . There are great products out there that are antibacterial antifungal that should clear up the stains like douxo pads, malacetic otic, ect.

Yes you can also switch to 4 star, since it is all life stages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep, I agree, you can change to FROMM 4 star foods at any age, because they are an all stage food.

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.