Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
This info came up on my FB page, regarding fleas and areas where infestation is being seen, and also how fleas can affect our pets and family, and what treatments are available. I found it interesting and thought is share with you guys.

Dealing with a Flea Infestation - Infographic

Along with being a nuisance due to scratching, biting and chewing, fleas can also present some serious health risks to you and your pets.

Flea allergies can occur in both pets and people. While most victims of flea bites itch for just a minute or two, people and pets with allergies may itch for a day or more from just a single bite. Treatment may require steroids, medicated shampoos and ointments to help soothe the allergic reaction.

Rodent fleas that take up housing on your dog or cat in the Southwest and southern Rocky Mountain areas of the U.S. may even carry the bubonic plague. With one bite, infected fleas can spread this disease to your pets and your family. Tapeworms can also be spread from pets to people, primarily children, who accidentally ingest an infected flea.

Two types of the bacteria Rickettsia that can cause typhus can be spread from infected cats to people by the bite of a disease carrying flea or contact with disease infected flea droppings. Cat scratch fever is a serious bacterial infection caused by Bartonella. Most human cases can be directly related to a scratch or bite from a cat carrying the infection. Fleas can spread the disease from cat to cat through bites and may also occasionally spread the infection directly to people via a flea bite.

With the risk of all of these potentially serious health problems relating to flea infestations, a year-round flea preventative like K9 Advantix is a wise choice. Consult with your veterinarian about flea treatment options and recommendations should a flea infestation occur.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 206

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
My mom was just warning me about this. Thank you Monica so much for every informational thread you put on here. I have learned a lot from everyone you have posted. Just want to let you know they are a great help to a newbie. Cant wait to see your next one. :D

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Is there a thread that talks about flea medicine in general? I am looking for a good one and my vet keeps telling me TRIFEXIS but no way am I giving that to my Diva. Right now she is on Sentinel for heartworms and I think it also has something for fleas in it. However, I live in Texas and there are fleas most of the year.

Can anyone direct me to that thread?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is there a thread that talks about flea medicine in general? I am looking for a good one and my vet keeps telling me TRIFEXIS but no way am I giving that to my Diva. Right now she is on Sentinel for heartworms and I think it also has something for fleas in it. However, I live in Texas and there are fleas most of the year.

Can anyone direct me to that thread?

We have used Sentnel for years and never had a flea on any of my pups or in the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We use Sentinal as well and haven't had any issues.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We have used Revolution for the past two years, with good results. No fleas or ticks, and no side effects, illness or diarrhea. My vet uses this brand for her bulldog as well. It gets administered once a month between June and November, it comes in a box with 6 vials, you break open the top of the vial, and drop the contents on the skin behind the neck, an between the shoulder blades. The product is easy to use, and is not that expensive, it's about $65 for the box, which is about $10 per month. It may be cheaper in the States.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.