demodectic mange?

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
If it not one thing it's another... noticed a bald patch on Lola's head the other day played it off to be a rough tumble when playing with Loki well that patch turned into 3 along her cheek. Brought her to the vet and they scrapped it said it's demodectic mange he said that there was 2 mites when bad scrapes would show numbers in the 30s. They put her on a progressive dose of ivermectin .02 ml for 7 days then .05 ml for the next 7 days then 1.0ml for the remaining 7. Does this seem to much she will be 5 months the on the 14th. Also do I need to worry about loki "catching" this? Thanks all :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey there! I do not have experience with mange, but I do think it is contagious,. Does the vet you were with know you have two dogs?

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
I told them that she likes to play with her brother loki. i never though to ask if it spreads. He said most puppies get it and it dies off as their immune system strengthens

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I told them that she likes to play with her brother loki. i never though to ask if it spreads. He said most puppies get it and it dies off as their immune system strengthens

Yes, as, very true on the puppy thing... All dogs have mites it is just the strength of the immune system that keeps them at bay.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Now that I think of it loki has come with to 2 of her appointments

Then maybe there isn't an issue and I'm wrong on the contagious thing. Always thought it was

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Now that I think of it loki has come with to 2 of her appointments

Ok, looked it up... It os contagious, but if the other dog is healthy and immune system strong it is not an issue. So Loki should be fine

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Ok good! His allergies are getting bad already this year so hopefully that doesn't mess this up too bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for looking :)

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
Demodectic mange is passed on from the mother at birth..it is not contagious to other dogs or humans.sarcoptic mange is contagious..my Romeo had it when we brought him home at 4 months..he was on ivermectin for almost a year before his monthly scraping came up totally clean..my vet said it can be brought on by stress or illness and once they have it there is always a chance it can come back esp from stress or illness..Romeo had just had cherry eye surgery and been nuetered before we brought him home

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Miss Tallulah had it as a puppy. The vet said do nothing and just keep an eye on it. It should go away and it did. If it did not he would recommend meds but said often it goes away naturally and he prefers not to medicate if possible.

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
I think the only reason that he prescribed was because she was having some problems with her bladder a few weeks ago and she may not be able to fight them off.

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
I hope it clears up quickly and she feels better soon!! Romeo had it pretty bad for a while and he was so itchy and stinky..it was a pretty stressful year but he 's 3 now and it hasn't come back..thank god!!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Hope you get it all cleared up soon and you have no more worries with the babies

Maruko

Feb 24, 2014
Dallas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maruko
Hi! I'm going through the same thing now and Maruko just turned to 5mos old. We are using iVermectin as well, she has three small spots. None on face. Please keep us updated how the treatment goes. I read online about nu stock, I ordered it to apply on her. Hopefully it will help to shorten the healing progress! I hope yours get better soon! [MENTION=9403]Lokismom[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.