Eye issue?

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
eye.jpg

eyelid.jpg

So I have a new puppy. After having her examined she was found to have stenotic nares...After about a week and a half of me harrasing the breeder and filing all kind of complaints they have agreed to pay for the surgery. I noticed that her bottom eyelids are a little droopy and red. I hope this is not Ectropion?? I noticed in their health guarantee the only thing that was excluded was cherry eye and eye lid surgeries. (I later realized this was odd) Im now starting to wonder if they knowingly have this issue in their bloodlines..

Can someone please help me shed some light here. Thanks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Goodness she is adorable! I have no experience with the eye issues you refer to but I will tag a few members that do and they might be able to give some insight

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
When you had the nares looked at did the vet say anything about the eyes? She is a doll.

OP
tyree213

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
When you had the nares looked at did the vet say anything about the eyes? She is a doll.

No just said to use eye drops but I think he was rushing to get to another surgery appt. They just don't look right to me.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No just said to use eye drops but I think he was rushing to get to another surgery appt. They just don't look right to me.

I agree they don't look right, I don't know if it's Entropian though. I would take him to see a different vet because it does seem really odd and strange that the breeder would put that on the contract like that.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Cute little pup. I would just watch the eye for a few days to see if it gets worse, if it does, it may just be an infection. Some will droop more than others and that is normal. If it were Entropian, the eye would be watering a lot and they would be blinking the eye a lot.

OP
tyree213

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Cute little pup. I would just watch the eye for a few days to see if it gets worse, if it does, it may just be an infection. Some will droop more than others and that is normal. If it were Entropian, the eye would be watering a lot and they would be blinking the eye a lot.

Ok thanks for the info. It doesn't seem to bother her no excessive blinking or rubbing.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I don't have any experience with Entropian, but my female Blossom developed cherry eye when she was 5 months old. It doesn't look like cherry eye to me, because cherry eye usually develops in the corner of the eye, and it usually looks like a little blob or mass in the corner of the eye. Her eyes look like they are just a little droopy, I don't see any red blobs in her eyes. They both look the same as well, which makes me believe its just normal droopy eyes and not cherry eye or Entropian, although I don't know what Entrpian looks like. I do know that both conditions cause watery eyes, sometimes a discharge from the eyes, or irritation. If she doesn't have any of these I'm sure she is okay. If she does or if you are worried or have doubt, then a visit to your vet just to check her eyes, and give you peace of mind would be a good idea. Good luck, I hope it's nothing serious and just normal droopy eyes. Please keep us posted.

drharleen

May 6, 2014
uqahy5aj.jpg

This is my four year old English Bulldog. He has droopy eyes when he gets sleepy and/or drowsy. We have been blessed that he has not had the cherry eye. Although his mother has had cherry eye before, drops were given by the vet and she did get better. Sometimes my four year old English Bulldogs bottom kids will droop even heavier. We tell him that his face is about to melt off.
I wish you and your sweet baby the best of health. Keep us posted on your results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It doesn't look like cherry eye to me either. A little droopy, and irritated maybe, but that's it.

Like others have said, just keep an eye on him.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Rocco has the same issue. Always been that way. A few months ago one looked more irritated than usual so I took him to the vet. The vet gave me drops and said it was conjunctivitis. It cleared up after that but they always look a little red. Doesn't seem to bother him and doesn't get any worse. I'm sure your pup is fine

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
It doesn't look like Cherry eye to me either Ftse had this as a puppy but I don't know anything about the other eye issues.

Mom2Daphne

May 29, 2013
PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Daphne
Possibly horner's syndrome. Don't get scared. Something my dog got after vaccinations. I thought it was cherry eye.

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
Hi, I just wanted to comment about the stenotic nares surgery. My Bodie had that done at around 3 months old...and they grew back!! I can clearly see where the little scars are on each nostril and the "meat" that grew back, so just wanted to inform u that it is a possibility. Bodie hasn't had any issues with it though. It's basically just tiny nostrils! He did look like he had a "monkey nose" after the surgery though!! Hope everything goes well! Make sure to keep us all informed on your baby!!

BullyLove!!!

📰 Latest posts

Members online