english 8 month old gia is having diarrhea need help

bkm2006

Jan 1, 2011
hi I live in KC im having trouble with my 8month old english gia.. shes had diarrhea for awhile now and we have taken her to the vet multiple times.. we have switched her diet to wellness fish diet no luck also on this diet she shed alot and her coat looked bad.. so we are back on royal canin and her stool is still the same im just lost on what I need to do at this point we dont give her and treats or anything only her dry food..

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Did the vets do any fecal analysis to look for internal parasites or giardia? How bad is the diarrhea? Is it liquid, foamy or soft serve?

Lolita

Jun 16, 2010
Laval, Qc, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Destiny and Maximus
Buy some Kaopectate it works ver well, I spent a fortune with a Vet and didn't change a thing but ths med did!!

OP
bkm2006

bkm2006

Jan 1, 2011
its soft serve but sometimes liquid. I have taken her to the vet and they have done afecal analysis. They said everything looked fine and gave me some type of meds to firm up her stool ... no luck.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
When you switch foods, are you switching slowly or just doing a straight switch? Sorry I keep posting more questions....

OP
bkm2006

bkm2006

Jan 1, 2011
yes i mixed food for awhile before going straight new dog food and she has been on the bulldog royal canin for about a month and a half now still the same ... ive tried wellness and royal canin so far.. first was royal canin puppy... that didnt work so i went to wellness fish diet .. still no luck.. so then my vet informed me that i could start giving her adult food when she was 7months old so then i switched to royal canin bulldog formula ... still no luck.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
had this issue with my Beefy when we got him until last week. I switched him back to By Nature Salmon becuase it has NO CHICKEN and this is the only one his tummy can tolerate. I also added Yams to his morning and dinner meal. I also give a probiotic/enzyte daily and pumpkin and thankfully this week. No DIARRHEA. Try adding yams and a probiotic/enzyte supplement hopefully that will help and check the ingrediants for any type of chicken because even when the main ingrediant isnt chicken and most dogs can tolerate it sum cannot

OP
bkm2006

bkm2006

Jan 1, 2011
we will keep trying i just hate switching her food all the time... also forgot to say she also had a bit a red small amount of blood sometimes when i wipe her butt.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes I was also going to suggest trying a grain free food with no chicken in it. Fromm has the enzymes and probiotics in writing, I have had great success so far with the Beef Fritatta, you can get it online from Carolina pet pantry with free shipping!! Www.carolinapetpantry.com

Wnstnsddy

Sep 21, 2010
Va Beach, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
We use the Royal Canin 32 Medium Puppy since we recieved Winston at 9 wks, he is almost 7 months now, and what i noticed was that his stool was soft and drippy in the begining, but a few weeks in and he was having more solid stools. Now all his stools are solid, and we have had no other heath problems, his coat is soft and shiny and his tear staining is minor. I was conserned also intinially, but the vet said his stool was fine. I would say unless it is causing other health problem and unless he can't hold it to get outside, give it a few weeks and see if it hardens up.

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Jozi is switching from Iams to
Taste of The Wild right now. She
is doing very well so far. I have read
on here and even the lady at the pet
food store suggested putting canned
pumpkin in her food. If you try this make
sure that you get 100% pumpkin,and not
pumpkin pie filling.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Gertie did this when she was about 4 1/2 mos. old. She wasn't switching foods. I took her in for a complete going over, nothing wrong. I did a bland diet and vanilla Activia for about a week and she was fine.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
When you say she has had diahorrea for a while ... how long is that??

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
i would immediately stop feeding her the food you give her and do bland diet for a while (3-5 days) until her tummy calms down and the lining of her gi tract heals itself. she's probably having blood in her stool from all the irritation from tummy acid coursing through her intestines. give her plain yogurt a couple times a day, she needs the good bacteria, pumpkin is good for firming up poops, and put her on a better food w/out chicken, corn, soy or wheat. good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.