Always lost and confused

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I think that's what every thread I start will say! Ha ha. I have a question about lemon juice for the phlegm. I read all about it when we were thinking of getting darling Henry. I hoped I would never have to use it and that he would never have a issue. Lol. A month or so ago he just kept coughing and couldn't clear his throat. Not a crazy panic or anything but more a nuisance. So I thought Hey I'm gonna try out that lemon juice thing. It worked! Cleared out all the junk! Then a couple minutes later he yacked up his breakfast. Every piece of kibble I'm sure. So I can't quite figure out what happened. Is this normal? Is this what's supposed to happen? Did I squirt to much? I've not found a place where is says "oh, and by the way, your pup may yack up his breakfast" So, can anyone help me out? Henry's been having a little trouble in the mornings the last few days. This morning he yacked up 2 pretty significant piles of thick slime. And he's still coughing a bit.
Once again, thanks for helping out the less fortunate in the brains department! Ha ha

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What time does he eat in the morning and at night? If they puke thick slime in the morning it's usually because the tummy is empty and makes them queasy.

As for the lemon juice, I've only used it once and that was on a bully that visited my home that was over heating. Saved his life! So I've never used it for the sole purpose of breaking up phlem, only to open the airway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He eats at 4 am and at 3:30 pm. I thought I was supposed to use it to break that stuff up when he keeps trying to clear is throat with no success. Am I wrong?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No I don't think you are, I have seen that posted by others as well. I would give him a late night snack before bed, a handful of kibble, a few treats (may be a good time to have him do some tricks), or a rice cake. See if that fixes the early morning nausea.

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He does usually have some snacks of Green beans. He's been having these for a while though so it's not a change. It's not that he just throws up though, it's more like he just can't clear his throat. Then finally he just throws up from trying so long. It's weird. Heck, it may be normal for all I know.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Roseann, I'm sorry I don't have any experience with using lemon juice for Phlegm. I'm wondering if he's throwing up because he's choking on the phlegm, after its been broken up? Maybe that's his way of getting it up? Have you asked his vet about the Phlegm and vomiting? The phlegm could be caused by a cold or allergies, and I totally agree with Lisa that the nausea could be caused by having an empty tummy overnight, this has happened to a few members, and they have given a rice cake or a handful of kibble before bedtime and it has helped. I hope you find the cause, and Henry feels better soon.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He does usually have some snacks of Green beans. He's been having these for a while though so it's not a change. It's not that he just throws up though, it's more like he just can't clear his throat. Then finally he just throws up from trying so long. It's weird. Heck, it may be normal for all I know.

Not uncommon behavior but... Shouldn't be constant. If it continues you may want to take him to the vet, he could have swollen tonsils or an elongated pallet, or it could also be nasal drainage from his sinuses (allergies).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How old is Henry? Have you tried giving him a Benedryl with breakfast... could be allergies causing the build up or even as Lisa stated, the soft palate?

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry is 7 months. I watched him close this morning. He tried to clear his throat only one time. I gave him a heart worm prevention pill the day before so maybe it was just that. I did notice that his eyes were a bit more irritated that morning. They do water a lot and I think it may be allergies but I don't give him Benadryl very often.

Members online

No members online now.