Baxters Eye - Experts, can you identify the problem?

• Thread starter Baxter Tiberius
  • Start date
OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

I have been able to put the gel in his eyes manually. He leaves it for the most part.

Whats concerning me is that his affected eye seems to be getting "foggy". That really concerns me. In the rest of the dark area of the eyeball its got a slightly "foggy" look to it. Not clear and easy to see his eye color.

I hope he isn't going blind or something. Anyone know what that is?

Found this: "Corneal opacities occur secondary to inflammation in the structures that manufacture the nourishing fluid inside the front portion of the eye. This constantly flowing specialized fluid bathes the cornea, iris and lens and assists in maintaining normal intraocular pressure. Inflammation from infections, bleeding, trauma or immune issues can result in blockage of the aqueous humor flow within the eye.
Since it is such a nourishing fluid it is an excellent medium for bacteria and viruses, the end result of which may appear as a hazy, dull appearance to the dog’s eye."

Now he cries quietly while he is laying down. And sometimes rubs his eye. Its hurting him.

Im taking him to his main vet tomorrow. We went to the pet hospital yesterday.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have been able to put the gel in his eyes manually. He leaves it for the most part.

Whats concerning me is that his affected eye seems to be getting "foggy". That really concerns me. In the rest of the dark area of the eyeball its got a slightly "foggy" look to it. Not clear and easy to see his eye color.

What is the gel you were given?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Poor Kevin & Baxter~Am glad you're taking him to his regular Vet.
If it kills me to hear hes crying, I know how you're feeling :(
Praying for him...let us know, Honey...sure hope its not serious
and they determine the cause and give pain relief. HUGS

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I am so sorry to hear about Baxter's eye infection, I Pray this little guy will be all Better. Let us know what your Vet says. Love and Special Hugs to Precious Baxter.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

@2BullyMama - Its name seems to just be a bunch of ingredients. So the name is:

"Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc Opthalmic Ointment USP"

Today his third eylid seems significantly less inflamed. But its still sliding over his eye.

The rest of his eye is still fogged over though. I guess that's related to inflammation from the infection. I hope its something that will clear up on its own? It reminds me too much of blindness I have seen in animals. Or cataracts, etc.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama - Its name seems to just be a bunch of ingredients. So the name is:

"Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc Opthalmic Ointment USP"

Today his third eylid seems significantly less inflamed. But its still sliding over his eye.

The rest of his eye is still fogged over though. I guess that's related to inflammation from the infection. I hope its something that will clear up on its own? It reminds me too much of blindness I have seen in animals. Or cataracts, etc.

It is kind of like neosporin for the eye..... the cloudiness is from the infection. It took two weeks for it to clear up when I had Mia (foster baby) with me.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Praying that Baxter will be much improved very soon. I have had goats that had pink eye, and their eyes turned completely white, and they became completely blind. BUT, when the pink eye was cleared up, their eyes returned to normal-and their sight also returned.:pray:for Baxter.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel

Found this: "Corneal opacities occur secondary to inflammation in the structures that manufacture the nourishing fluid inside the front portion of the eye. This constantly flowing specialized fluid bathes the cornea, iris and lens and assists in maintaining normal intraocular pressure. Inflammation from infections, bleeding, trauma or immune issues can result in blockage of the aqueous humor flow within the eye.
Since it is such a nourishing fluid it is an excellent medium for bacteria and viruses, the end result of which may appear as a hazy, dull appearance to the dog’s eye."

Now he cries quietly while he is laying down. And sometimes rubs his eye. Its hurting him.

OH goodness that stinks. Ruthie always had a fog over her eyes and turns out she has ulcers. But in addition to the ulcers we just learned she has dry eye.
With her i have used Systane eye drops to help the ulcers along with her antibiotic ointment but now she's also on cyclosporin for her dry eye. Her eyes look fantastic after a week of use. Maybe have the vet give her the dry eye test.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I love Baxter, such a sweet boy <3 When infection is gone his
eyes will be clear~GOD bless y'all.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

The antibiotics did the trick. 250mg twice daily for about 4-5 days, and his eye is back to normal. He still has the third eyelid sometimes slide over his eye when he's sleepy but thats normal. He's wide-eyed again like he used to be. :)

I didnt really use the eye antibiotic. As much as I am opposed to systemic antibiotics, I thought it would be better for him than having a gel-goo in his eye all day when its already irritated and painful.

Fog is gone as well.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The antibiotics did the trick. 250mg twice daily for about 4-5 days, and his eye is back to normal. He still has the third eyelid sometimes slide over his eye when he's sleepy but thats normal. He's wide-eyed again like he used to be. :)

I didnt really use the eye antibiotic. As much as I am opposed to systemic antibiotics, I thought it would be better for him than having a gel-goo in his eye all day when its already irritated and painful.

Fog is gone as well.

GREAT news..... now, where is our picture of this handsome devil :tapfoot:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm glad to hear baxter is feeling better. Sorry i'm reading this so late.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad his eye is getting better.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Fog is gone as well.

I am so very glad Baxter is doing better!

Regarding the ointment, I would have certainly used the neo-poly-dex ointment, it would help lubricate the eye and anytime you can treat from the outside in is better than inside out as you know. I'm sure he probably didn't like the idea of the eye ointment ( anything coming toward your eyes is scary), but it would have helped the pain and discomfort once it was in there.
Not only that, but it's also direct medication to the source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.