Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baxters Eye - Experts, can you identify the problem?

Baxter Tiberius

Default Re: Baxters Eye - Experts, can you identify the problem?

Hi all -

So the vet poured some yellow dye in his eye and then used a black light on his 3rd eyelid. He was looking for an "ulcer" but only pointed out a bright white line. I couldn't tell if that was a cut on the eyelid, or .... my concern was that it was a piece of something under the eyelid that he could irrigate. But he said no. Still wish he would have irrigated the eye. Maybe the copious amounts of yellow dye qualified as an irrigation too. He sent us home with eye antibiotic and told me to give him pill antibiotics for a handful of days too. Unfortunately when they tried to put the cone on his head he freaked out. He gets really scared by "objects" in general and even holding the cone in front of him made him run. Let alone putting it around his neck. So Im focusing more on the systemic antibiotics and still putting a little gel in his eye if I can. Its really hard. He wont let me. Doesn't seem to rub it off though.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Hi all -

So the vet poured some yellow dye in his eye and then used a black light on his 3rd eyelid. He was looking for an "ulcer" but only pointed out a bright white line. I couldn't tell if that was a cut on the eyelid, or .... my concern was that it was a piece of something under the eyelid that he could irrigate. But he said no. Still wish he would have irrigated the eye. Maybe the copious amounts of yellow dye qualified as an irrigation too. He sent us home with eye antibiotic and told me to give him pill antibiotics for a handful of days too. Unfortunately when they tried to put the cone on his head he freaked out. He gets really scared by "objects" in general and even holding the cone in front of him made him run. Let alone putting it around his neck. So Im focusing more on the systemic antibiotics and still putting a little gel in his eye if I can. Its really hard. He wont let me. Doesn't seem to rub it off though.
    Darn cones.... so, it is an infection of some type? Can you distract him with a treat at his nose long enough to sit still for the gel?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kori
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Hope Baxter is feeling better and that the infection will clear up soon. I know how hard it is to see their eyes looking sore. Those cones are such a pain! I basically have to put mine in a head lock to get his meds in his eyes every day. He runs as soon as I pick up the tube.
    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

James Hond, My Sunshine

Baxter Tiberius

I have been able to put the gel in his eyes manually. He leaves it for the most part.

Whats concerning me is that his affected eye seems to be getting "foggy". That really concerns me. In the rest of the dark area of the eyeball its got a slightly "foggy" look to it. Not clear and easy to see his eye color.

I hope he isn't going blind or something. Anyone know what that is?

Found this: "Corneal opacities occur secondary to inflammation in the structures that manufacture the nourishing fluid inside the front portion of the eye. This constantly flowing specialized fluid bathes the cornea, iris and lens and assists in maintaining normal intraocular pressure. Inflammation from infections, bleeding, trauma or immune issues can result in blockage of the aqueous humor flow within the eye.
    Since it is such a nourishing fluid it is an excellent medium for bacteria and viruses, the end result of which may appear as a hazy, dull appearance to the dog’s eye."

Now he cries quietly while he is laying down. And sometimes rubs his eye. Its hurting him.

Im taking him to his main vet tomorrow. We went to the pet hospital yesterday.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I have been able to put the gel in his eyes manually. He leaves it for the most part.

Whats concerning me is that his affected eye seems to be getting "foggy". That really concerns me. In the rest of the dark area of the eyeball its got a slightly "foggy" look to it. Not clear and easy to see his eye color.

What is the gel you were given?
    e.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Poor Kevin & Baxter~Am glad you're taking him to his regular Vet.
    If it kills me to hear hes crying, I know how you're feeling
    Praying for him...let us know, Honey...sure hope its not serious
    and they determine the cause and give pain relief. HUGS

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

I am so sorry to hear about Baxter's eye infection, I Pray this little guy will be all Better. Let us know what your Vet says. Love and Special Hugs to Precious Baxter.

Baxter Tiberius

@2BullyMama - Its name seems to just be a bunch of ingredients. So the name is:

"Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc Opthalmic Ointment USP"

Today his third eylid seems significantly less inflamed. But its still sliding over his eye.

The rest of his eye is still fogged over though. I guess that's related to inflammation from the infection. I hope its something that will clear up on its own? It reminds me too much of blindness I have seen in animals. Or cataracts, etc.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@2BullyMama - Its name seems to just be a bunch of ingredients. So the name is:

"Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc Opthalmic Ointment USP"

Today his third eylid seems significantly less inflamed. But its still sliding over his eye.

The rest of his eye is still fogged over though. I guess that's related to inflammation from the infection. I hope its something that will clear up on its own? It reminds me too much of blindness I have seen in animals. Or cataracts, etc.
    It is kind of like neosporin for the eye..... the cloudiness is from the infection. It took two weeks for it to clear up when I had Mia (foster baby) with me.
    e.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Praying that Baxter will be much improved very soon. I have had goats that had pink eye, and their eyes turned completely white, and they became completely blind. BUT, when the pink eye was cleared up, their eyes returned to normal-and their sight also returned.for Baxter.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Poor baby. I hope Baxter's eye heals soon.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Found this: "Corneal opacities occur secondary to inflammation in the structures that manufacture the nourishing fluid inside the front portion of the eye. This constantly flowing specialized fluid bathes the cornea, iris and lens and assists in maintaining normal intraocular pressure. Inflammation from infections, bleeding, trauma or immune issues can result in blockage of the aqueous humor flow within the eye.
    Since it is such a nourishing fluid it is an excellent medium for bacteria and viruses, the end result of which may appear as a hazy, dull appearance to the dog’s eye."

Now he cries quietly while he is laying down. And sometimes rubs his eye. Its hurting him.

OH goodness that stinks. Ruthie always had a fog over her eyes and turns out she has ulcers. But in addition to the ulcers we just learned she has dry eye.
    With her i have used Systane eye drops to help the ulcers along with her antibiotic ointment but now she's also on cyclosporin for her dry eye. Her eyes look fantastic after a week of use. Maybe have the vet give her the dry eye test.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads