Pogomom

May 1, 2014
California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Guv'na
:newhere:
First let me say that I have NEVER posted on any forum or blog in my life.....but I need some advice.

We have a 10 yr old male bulldog that has Congestive Heart failure and is currently taking codeine for the coughing and lasix for the water retention. He has had social issues all his life (other human aggression and other animal aggression) but when he was heatlhy we were able to take him places as well as to the vet. Now that his condition has gotten worse, he cannot tolerate anything out of his normal daily routine...sleep, eat a little, sleep and go potty. Taking him anywhere makes his coughing worse, I think he gets stressed out. Here's my dilema:He isn't eating properly, he isn't going poop properly and the other night he had an accident in bed. His last accident in the house was when he was 10 weeks old. My hubby wants to keep holding on thinking he will get better...I do not want anything to happen to him but at the same time I don't want to see him suffer either.

I just need some advice and I suppose a bulldog-shoulder to cry on...
Thanks!

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
I'm so sorry. I dont have any experience with congestive heart failure. I know making the decision on what to do or how long to hold on is the hardest thing you could ever do. You couldn't ask a better group of people for advice and a shoulder to cry on. You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:hiii: Welcome to the site. I am sorry to hear about your boy's problems. I had a toy poodle who also had congestive heart failure. She had major heart surgery, when she was 3 months of age. She wasn't given much of a chance of survival-but she was a tough little gal, and she made it. When she was 10 years old, she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. I used to have to bring her to the vet, when she would get to coughing so much and you could hear the fluid, when she breathed. He would give her a steroid shot with ah( antihistimine) in it-and she would be good for a month or two. One day, I said to him-"can't you just give me some of the meds., I can give her the shots?") Well, that's what we did, and when I could tell it was time-I would give her a shot-usually a month or two-and she did well-Didn't need cough meds too often. She lived another three good years that way.(she also had lasix) The shots kept her going,when I asked him about giving me the meds, he said-"it's not good to give it too often"-at that point I said, "what's it gonna' do-kill her?" sounds cruel-but she already had 3 feet on a banana peel.......and it gave her three more good years.It gave her more time and quality of life. When it got to the point that it was no longer giving her quality of life-that is how I knew it was time to let go. That time is never easy-but always try to be there for them. Perhaps there is something else you can try for your boy.
You can ask your vet about the steroid/ah. It is worth a try,maybe. You kind of have to think about how you would want to live-and put yourself in your dog's place when you have to make a decision. My prayers are with you-I completely KNOW what you are going through.:pray::pray::cry:

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
:newhere:
First let me say that I have NEVER posted on any forum or blog in my life.....but I need some advice.

We have a 10 yr old male bulldog that has Congestive Heart failure and is currently taking codeine for the coughing and lasix for the water retention. He has had social issues all his life (other human aggression and other animal aggression) but when he was heatlhy we were able to take him places as well as to the vet. Now that his condition has gotten worse, he cannot tolerate anything out of his normal daily routine...sleep, eat a little, sleep and go potty. Taking him anywhere makes his coughing worse, I think he gets stressed out. Here's my dilema:He isn't eating properly, he isn't going poop properly and the other night he had an accident in bed. His last accident in the house was when he was 10 weeks old. My hubby wants to keep holding on thinking he will get better...I do not want anything to happen to him but at the same time I don't want to see him suffer either.

I just need some advice and I suppose a bulldog-shoulder to cry on...
Thanks!
Pogo Mom - welcome to the site. So sorry to hear about your baby. I too had a bulldog that, as he got older, was very intolerant to going out anywhere or being around new people. I'm not sure where you live but I know that there are quite a few vets now that are willing to make house calls. Perhaps you can have one come over and do an exam to see if there is a way to help get your bully out of discomfort right now??? It will cost a little more but may be worth not stressing him out with a vet visit?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm so sorry to hear your news and to know of you & Hubby's
heartache as you watch beloved Guv's decline. Hoping the above
poster's great advice & suggestion's are helpful. My sister had a
13 y/o boxer that had become incontinent, blind & moved with
much difficulty, we argued for a couple years about putting her
down, Karen could not bring herself to do it. For myself, I feel we
have even MORE responsibility to do the right thing by them if we
have to make this decision for them because they can not chose.
I feel we must rise above our pain & sorrow and help them in their
hour of greatest need. As loving, devoted pawrents, we must not
fail them in this.

I put my soulmate, CoCo, a beautiful, sweet Ragdoll cat of 15 years,
to sleep 3 months ago. I looked in her eyes and knew, she was ready
to go, to be at peace. I can seem to hear her calling me in my quiet
house still, we slept together, heart to heart for 15 years, if not for Cami,
my bully, I could not bear my loneliness, having lost my Hubby & my 1st
bully just 18 months ago. I feel your pain, I know how hard the decision.
Keeping you, Hubby & Guv in my prayers~May GOD give you comfort,
strength, bravery & peace & bless all in your house <3

OP
P

Pogomom

May 1, 2014
California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Guv'na
Thank you for the advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your kind words.

OP
P

Pogomom

May 1, 2014
California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Guv'na
thank you for your kind words and prayers

- - - Updated - - -

thank you for your advice

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My heart breaks reading your post, it is such a hard decision. Sending prayers to you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am so sorry to hear you baby is not doing well. I have never dealt with heart failure so I can't really speak to it, but I have dealt with cancer, kidney and liver failure. About a year ago i lost my sweet boxer Remi to kidney and liver failure and 4 months after we lost him we lost our 8yo ridgeback Sasha due to a fast growing inoperable cancer. Making the decision to have your pup cross the rainbow bridge is not an easy decision and it never will be. As others had posted above there are a few treatments you can try, but in the end you really have to weigh the quality of life your pup will have for what may be only a little more time with your family. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience in what you are dealing with and can only send you prayers and positive thoughts for you and your baby!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry to hear about your baby. It does sound like the end is getting close, and it's never an easy decision on when to let them go, but I think you will know when that time has arrived. We will keep him in our thoughts.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm so sorry you are going through this with your baby, and are facing having to make the heart wrenching decision of when is the right time to let him go. When my Jack Russell Oreo who was 14 years old, was diagnosed with cancer, we faced those decisions too. My son didn't want to let her go, and after talking to my vet, she said it would come down to her quality of life, and if she was in pain. She said she could live with cancer just like people can, and you can manage symptoms with medications. She was still eating, pooping, she didn't play as much, she slept more than she had before, but loved her cuddles and love. In the end she passed away in her sleep at home, and we didn't have to make the decision to put her down. I was very close to making that decision, because she couldn't walk down the stairs of the front door anymore to go potty, and she started to have accidents in the house. The vet said these were signs that her quality of life was no longer good. If she couldn't go for walks, or play, slept all day, had accidents, and could not potty outside anymore, then she wasn't enjoying her life as a dog. It is the hardest decision you'll have to make, and is heart breaking, but we are the only ones who can make this decision for them, and they count on us to do this for them. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, and I hope you are able to find a way with your vet to keep her comfortable until you have to make a decision.

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
I am in tears reading about your situation...our pets really become members of the family and hold our hearts. I cannot help you with any advice, I just want to express my love and support to you, your family, and your ailing baby. Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online