URGENT!!! Bocephus just chewed open a container of nail polish

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I just walked out of the laundry room and found Bocephus chewing on the top of a nail polish bottle. I wiped out his entire mouth but it's clear polish and I do not know if he ingested any at all. He had it for less than two minutes but I'm a little freaked out. Are there signs I should watch for in case he swallowed some of the polish????? I've got a call into his vet but I don't know how long until I hear back.:(

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Oh no! These babies surely get into everything ... Hope you get that phonecall soon! Sending good thoughts your way!

OP
Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
He gets into everything!! He's not licking his mouth or acting like he has anything bad in his mouth. I just can't tell and it's freaking me out.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I just googled it, and I got some conflicting information… stupid internet!!! I would wait for the vets call, but for now give him some water and watch for any odd signs. Vomiting, lethargy, etc… Keep us posted

OP
Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I just googled it, and I got some conflicting information… stupid internet!!! I would wait for the vets call, but for now give him some water and watch for any odd signs. Vomiting, lethargy, etc… Keep us posted!!!

Vet just called and had me open his mouth wide and stick my nose into his mouth. I couldn't smell nail polish at all!!! He said not to worry. The nail polish would have coated his mouth and throat and I should be able to smell it. Coincidentally he has an appt tomorrow at 0945 with his eye surgeon to get his stitches out. His regular vet said to watch for anything unusual, just like you said DDnene, vomiting or lethargy and if that occurs to call. His vet is awesome, said he would even make a house call if he has to.

Praying it doesn't come to that. This poor baby has been through way too much in the past month. Completely my fault and I feel like a bad mommy right now!!!!!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Vet just called and had me open his mouth wide and stick my nose into his mouth. I couldn't smell nail polish at all!!! He said not to worry. The nail polish would have coated his mouth and throat and I should be able to smell it. Coincidentally he has an appt tomorrow at 0945 with his eye surgeon to get his stitches out. His regular vet said to watch for anything unusual, just like you said DDnene, vomiting or lethargy and if that occurs to call. His vet is awesome, said he would even make a house call if he has to.

Praying it doesn't come to that. This poor baby has been through way too much in the past month. Completely my fault and I feel like a bad mommy right now!!!!!

I'm so glad that he's going to be okay... Sounds like you have a wonderful vet!!! You are not a bad mommy, you can't watch them 24/7. Please let us know how he's doing tomorrow!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Kori, I googled it for you as we'll, there was an answer from a vet to somebody who's dog ate a bottle of nail polish, and this was his answer.

Dr Gareth Zeiler, Veterinarian
Thanks or the info, this is a great help.

I do not believe Rocky is any danger. He is too heavy to fall ill even if he had eaten the whole bottle.

Most of the nail polishes now a day a rather safe and non-toxic.

I would observe him over the next 24 hours. You will be looking for signs of vomiting and a cramps stomach. I do think that he will be more than fine. The acid in the stomach will take care of it.

I hope this puts your mind at rest. Do not worry about inducing vomiting. Just observe him.

I hope this puts your mind at rest. The dangerous nail polishes must have warning signs on them :).

I see the ingredient list too. There is nothing here in large enough doses to get excited about. Most of the alcohols will evaporate too. No worry here .

Kind regards,

Gareth

I also watched a show earlier this week, I don't know if you've ever seen it, it's called My Strange Addiction, and there was a young girl on there who was drinking whole bottles of nail polish, and especially glitter nail polish and coloured which I think would be more toxic than clear nail polish, she had been doing this for 5 years, and it hadn't made her sick. I think he will be fine since he didn't ingest very much, it can be toxic if ingested for a long time, or in large amounts, because of the chemicals, but he didn't have hat much. Try not to worry, I'm sure he'll be okay, keep an eye on him, and look for vomiting. You can always take him to the vet tomorrow to be safe. Please keep us posted.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Good to know that it wont do anything and your vet sounds good wish I had one of those near me. Hope Bocephus stays well and they do get into things as Tracey said we cant watch 24/7 I think at times they are harder to watch than skin kids

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

UGH!! they are so fast.... I be a panicked mess too.... let us know how he is doing and what the vet has to say today (if anything)

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
don't ever blame yourself! accidents happen. they are like toddlers, fast and curious. they get into anything and everything. hope everything would be ok on your vet's appointment. wish i have a vet like yours! :)

OP
Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just checking in this morning, how is Bo doing? Let us know what the vet says.
Bocephus is fine. The vet said that even if he ingested some of the polish it would probably not do any serious damage. Her advice was to give him lots and lots of water if it happens again and watch him closely.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus is fine. The vet said that even if he ingested some of the polish it would probably not do any serious damage. Her advice was to give him lots and lots of water if it happens again and watch him closely.

So glad to hear it!!! I guess he won't be getting a manicure anytime soon… LOL

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.