ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Re: Walter is limpingā€¦

Hi Tracey I see you bought a lot of soft toys or stuffies, and those balls look really small. Please be really careful and watch him, and supervise him with those new toys, especially since he's young and will be chewing, but you also want to make sure your guy isn't a bully that chews and swallows these things. I would be very leery and scared of giving him the soft toys, and the balls look small, I would stick with a ball that's bigger than his mouth, and ones that are hard like a Kong ball. They can chew these things so quickly and swallow them, my guys can only have Kong toys, and nothing smaller than their mouth, and no stuffies. I am maybe a little scared and paranoid about obstruction and choking on small toys.

Monica I agree w/the ballsā€¦ I told Lily that I thought they were too small for him, so I will probably put those away. I had bought him a variety of different toys when he got hereā€¦ he seems to prefer the nylabones and soft toys right now. He sucks on them, and hasn't torn them as of yet. He is supervised at ALL times w/his toys, but I'm glad that you brought this to my attention. So far I have yet to have a bully that eats their toysā€¦ BUT my boxer likes to rip stuffies open. She won't eat anything, just likes to destroy them and then of course I worry that the bullies might eat the stuffing. Walter doesn't seem to care for the Kong stuff yet, but I'm sure as he gets bigger he will ;)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

Hi Tracey, I'm just a big worry wart, when it comes to these things. My guys eat everything, and can't be left alone with any toys, we have to baby proof the whole house for the dogs, they eat socks, clothes, towels, pillows, stuffies, dish cloths, Dozer grabbed the cloth while we were bathing him, it was on the side of the tub, he was that fast. Outside they eat old gum, rocks, sticks, pine cones, paper napkins that they find, old food that has been thrown away by people. They are relentless and I'm always on guard when we are walking. The only toys I can give them are the Kong toys, and all have to be bigger than their mouths, and I still have to supervise. We bought them a Jolly Ball, it is a huge ball, and it has a handle on top, we thought it was safe, but on the first day, they were able to chew off the handle.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

Hey guysā€¦ Wally is doing great this morning, his limp is almost completely gone!!! :w00t: In fact he was chewing on the stone fireplace this morning, so I know he's feeling much better :blink: I'm going to keep a closer eye on him today, he seems to have trouble navigating the wood floors for some reason. His paws are so dang big, he needs to grow into those bad boysā€¦ LOL I may have to get some scatter rugs so when he tears thru the house he won't slideā€¦ of course I'm sure he will pee on a few. Ugh...

Phew. Good to hear he's better today.

Blue couldn't navigate our wood floors either. Too slippery for an uncoordinated bullie baby.

What we did is get runners, then eventually rugs. It made it much easier on him.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

Hi Tracey, I'm just a big worry wart, when it comes to these things. My guys eat everything, and can't be left alone with any toys, we have to baby proof the whole house for the dogs, they eat socks, clothes, towels, pillows, stuffies, dish cloths, Dozer grabbed the cloth while we were bathing him, it was on the side of the tub, he was that fast. Outside they eat old gum, rocks, sticks, pine cones, paper napkins that they find, old food that has been thrown away by people. They are relentless and I'm always on guard when we are walking. The only toys I can give them are the Kong toys, and all have to be bigger than their mouths, and I still have to supervise. We bought them a Jolly Ball, it is a huge ball, and it has a handle on top, we thought it was safe, but on the first day, they were able to chew off the handle.

Good LORD Monicaā€¦ I think you gave them the wrong names. Hoover, Dyson, Eureka, Dirt Devilā€¦ LMAO!!! :biglaugh: I know in all seriousness, it's NOT funnyā€¦ I'm sure they have put you thru so much worry. Monica I always appreciate your advice, you seem to notice many things that we tend to overlook :detective2:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

No problem, just being cautious. I've been to the vet too many times for Dozer eating socks, and Blossom eating 7 bags of penny candies, she doesn't eat household items, or too many things like Dozer, but she is definitely food motivated, and will get into the garbage, and eat everything in there, and she always seems to find food outside, a couple of weeks ago, she found a whole banana that somebody had dropped, we were on a walk, and next thing I know my husband is wrestling with her to grab the banana out of her throat that she had tried to swallow whole, she managed to get the soft banana on the inside, and hubby pulled the peel from her throat, she was determined to eat that banana. She also knows how to open the dog food bin with her nose, and will dive in and inhale as much as she can before we stop her. We have to turn the bin towards the wall, so she can't open it. I'm sure she would eat until she blew up. Lol. My friends Chocolate Lab did tragically die that way, he had gotten into a whole box of Milkbones during the night when they were sleeping, and her son found him on the floor in the morning, he had eaten so many Milkbones, and ate them so fast that they all got stuck In his throat and he choked to death. It was so sad, and her little boy was devastated.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Happy to hear his limp is gone, that has happened to so many on here where it just goes away the next day. I think it's growing pains.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Well NOW I feel like an idiotā€¦ he seemed fine this morning, and now he's limping again!!! What the heck?!! :blink:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Growing pains, this happened to us a few times and the vet said just to keep watch. ;)

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Growing pains, this happened to us a few times and the vet said just to keep watch. ;)

Thanks Philā€¦ I'm becoming a worry wartā€¦ my poor baby!!! :whew:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

Honey...its warranted in your case :(

These babies get inside our hearts so quickly & so absolutely,
it's a mystery to me as why it's a different love than with my other
animal companions but it is, a more compelling relationship & closer.

Try to keep him quieter for a week to rest that muscle (yeah, RIGHT!).

Love y'all <3

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Sometimes I wonder how we as bully parents can't help but be worry warts! We all have to stick together I guess. :D

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey

This happens to chum every now and then and goes away in a few dats..it's a good sign he wasn't limping this morning and whatever he pulled or strained was re aggravated..I guess there no way to keep a puppy from running around...unless you crate him awhile?

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

This happens to chum every now and then and goes away in a few dats..it's a good sign he wasn't limping this morning and whatever he pulled or strained was re aggravated..I guess there no way to keep a puppy from running around...unless you crate him awhile?

I'm going to have to crate him tomorrow, and give it some restā€¦ I will be at a wine festival all day so Grandma & Lily are in charge!!! LOL

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

Aww sorry to read he had a relapse, it's probably strained and he rested it overnight so the morning he wasn't limping, but walking on it again aggravated it. He needs to rest it for 3 or 4 days, which is a hard thing to do with an active puppy. You can crate him or maybe gate him off temporarily in the kitchen or other room where he can't run with Roxie, or jump up or down stairs or furniture. Continue to keep a eye on him, but he should be okay in a few days. Hope he feels better soon.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Aww sorry to read he had a relapse, it's probably strained and he rested it overnight so the morning he wasn't limping, but walking on it again aggravated it. He needs to rest it for 3 or 4 days, which is a hard thing to do with an active puppy. You can crate him or maybe gate him off temporarily in the kitchen or other room where he can't run with Roxie, or jump up or down stairs or furniture. Continue to keep a eye on him, but he should be okay in a few days. Hope he feels better soon.

Thanks Monica, he was still limping this morning. I'm heading to a wine festival w/friends today of courseā€¦ ugh! :unsure: My MIL and Lily are in charge of him today, so I made a nice pen area for him w/pee pad, water, his bed and toys. Hopefully he will just rest, and they will take my instructions seriously.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.