Health confusion

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I wasn't able to see the HBO show that [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION] told us about but I did read the NYTimes article that [MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION] posted a link to. I'm a bit confused. I have said before that I've never been a dog person until Henry. He is so awesome and I love and care for him like my children. My hubby is the smart one and the dog person. He thought Henry would be my kind of pet and he was right. Now the confusion for me is all the health problems. So far my Henry has some allergies. That's it. He's 7 mo now. Still a baby. Jason didn't want me to read too much about the health problems because he didn't want me to obsess. (He knows me well) He knows the issues better than i do. I just basically observe (obsess and watch him like a hawk) and pray he stays healthy. When we got him we knew there was a good chance he'd have problems. But just like our children. They cost a lot. They break bones and get stitches too. No reason to dump them at a shelter because they are sick. I don't get all the fuss. Am I totally unrealistic thinking that my dog is healthy? How many of you have dogs with health problems? There are tons in shelters and vets say they are supported by bulldogs alone. Can someone help me out and explain a bit for me? Thanks.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpgHi Roseann, I agree with you, and am also lucky to have healthy bullies. My guys suffer from allergies to chicken, salmon, corn and grains, and Blossom had cherry eye at 5 months old, which we repaired at 7 months old when we got her spayed. Like you said we don't have any health guarantees in life with ourselves, our children, or our bullies. The only thing we can do is to take care of ourselves and children and bullies. We do this by seeing our doctors regularly, having health checkups, preventative tests, and getting our vaccinations to prevent diseases. We do the same for our pets by seeing the vet, doing preventative tests like heart worm, having our pets spayed or neutered, and having regular vaccinations to prevent diseases. We can also make sure we take care of ourselves through proper nutrition and exercise, maintaining a healthy weight, and love, which we can also do for our pets, by feeding them a high quality food and treats. We can also give preventative supplements such as Chrondroitin and Glucosomine for their joints, plain yogurt for the probiotics, apple cider vinegar, salmon oil or another Omega oil source. These things are natural supplements that will help keep them healthy, will help their joints and boost their immune systems which will help to keep them healthy. There is never a guarantee that we will stay healthy or not develop a disease, but we can do our best to try to live the healthiest lives we can and do the things that keep us safe and healthy. EB's can suffer from many ailments such as hip and joint problems, allergies and skin issues, breathing problems, and eye problems. We can only hope that they won't get these problems, but you will probably face at least one or two of these issues in the life of your bully. Some can be surgically repaired such as hip and joints, and cherry eye or Entropian, and allergies can be alleviated through choosing the proper food, medications, and avoiding the allergens. All we can do is enjoy our bullies, love them, and give them the best that we can.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I see no reason to worry, obsess or assume your bulldog will have health issues.
There are certain KNOWN characteristics in the breed that do tend to be major
concerns however, many breeders are doing their best to breed healthy, happy
bullies. It's the greedy people who care nothing about these inherent problems
and breed ANY bullies together nor care about the heartbreak the future owners
feel when these bullies die young or their financial losses incurred dealing with
these non-healthy bullies.

Being in a large group like EBN, you're going to hear these experiences of some
owners but, also hear about the healthy & long lived bullies too. EBN educates
us about bullies and gives wise advice about what to look for in puppies, how to
find ethical breeders and what to do to help ensure healthy bullies (like Monica
did in above answer) and help the owners who do have bullies that develop
problems and give support to them as they deal with their issues.

As far as bullies found in shelters & rescues...it happens with ALL breeds. We live
in a throw away society, no value for life, human or otherwise, it's to be expected,
very sad to say. Bullies also are thrown away as much as for their stubbornness,
needs that call for LOTS of work (daily wrinkle, butt & ear cleanings) and expense
to properly care & maintain their health. People tend to underestimate all of this
then find it all just TOO much so...they dump them :(

Enjoy Henry and support EBN's mission of helping bullies & educating people about
bullies. Thank you for being a member & properly caring for Henry~GOD bless y'all!

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
I agree, you shouldnt worry until something HAPPENS. No need to make yourself so worked up over nothing. jovi is 7 months as well I personally think she is healthy as can be. I have seen no issues, I clearned up her yeast problem all by myself, and she was allergic to grains so I switched her food and nothing is wrong now. :] I dont believe all bulldogs have the issues. I believe that most of the illnesses are genetic though so it all depends on the bloodline if you should REALLY worry (but even still, sometimes that is not the case). Either way, dont worry until something out of the ordinary happens... Enjoy your time with him. he is so handsome! :]

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Everyone has explained this perfectly. The article and the HBO program scared the hell out of my wife and scares me too but that's life for you. We live in earthquake country and if we worried about the next shaker we would go out of our minds.

The one thing that stories like these and things that happen here on EBN drive home with me is that we must never take one second for granted with these guys. Hug your bully and love your bully like there's no tomorrow. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Can't add anything, but do your research and know what you are getting in to then accept the responsibilites that go with them, IF they happen to occur. As with anything in life, their are risks to be dealt with

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I agree completely, there are no guarantees. Bocephus is my third bulldog, all have had their individual issues. I never would have thought of getting rid of them. I think it is both a good and bad thing that there are very very very few bulldogs that come into rescue in the Utah area. Everyone who talks to me about getting one, I try to educate them on the breed so that they know what they are getting into.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Bella was our first bulldog… I fed her low end dog food (that I thought was good… LOL), and even though she had allergies she was relatively "healthy". She did LOVE to swallow things, so that brought us to the vets on many occasions… LOL I didn't see the show, but honestly I think it's like anything else. Networks today like to put out the WORST scenario news to get ratings, and scare people to death unfortunately… I say be grateful that Henry is healthy, and don't worry about your baby. Of course on here you are going to see stories about illnesses, surgeries, and so on… but you have to remember that bulldogs are EXTREMELY popular. Think of all those bulldogs that they find as "strays" and somehow they manage to survive w/out coconut oil or high rated dog food.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
As everyone has said before do your research then if a problem arises you will know what to do, We don't worry 100% of the time about our skin children otherwise we would not let them play, go to school etc so enjoy Henry like you do your children and if a problem arises deal with it then otherwise you will not enjoy as much as you should.

Ftse has had a very few health problems Cherry eye and allergies to food just a few other usual things that most get and yes I do worry but I also try not to think of all the nasty things that can happen and just pray he stays healthy as long as possible and he enjoys life.

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all for your responses. I was feeling pretty good until [MENTION=4573]Ftse 100[/MENTION] mentioned the kids. Somehow I don't think I can threaten Henry with ID channel murderers. Lol! Just to clarify, I don't obsess over him getting sick or having problems, I more obsess over his care and well being. I just want him to get the best that I can give. I worry that he's scared of trash bags or that he is always trying to eat dirt, you know, these kinda of things. I take the health issues and allergies as they come and deal with them as necessary. I need him with me as long as possible. He helps me much more than I would have ever known. I think the long haired dog I had was much harder to fake care of than Henry. P

Ftse 100

Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Thank you all for your responses. I was feeling pretty good until [MENTION=4573]Ftse 100[/MENTION] mentioned the kids. Somehow I don't think I can threaten Henry with ID channel murderers. Lol! Just to clarify, I don't obsess over him getting sick or having problems, I more obsess over his care and well being. I just want him to get the best that I can give. I worry that he's scared of trash bags or that he is always trying to eat dirt, you know, these kinda of things. I take the health issues and allergies as they come and deal with them as necessary. I need him with me as long as possible. He helps me much more than I would have ever known. I think the long haired dog I had was much harder to fake care of than Henry. P

Roseanne I am sorry if I implied that you obsessed over him I did not mean that at all. I think in reality all us Bulldog parents are the same we worry but we probably shouldn't worry as much as we do as it takes some of the joy away from having them. I am one of the worst my kids reckon I didn't worry about them as much as I do Ftse.

Please forgive if I offended as I did not mean to :flower:

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4573]Ftse 100[/MENTION] and all of my friends here. Not offended at all. I was humored. Typed words never seem to have the smiles attached that they deserve. I thought of me on the kids about things and laughed. I love this group and the different personalities attached. I don't get offended easily, but sometimes my humor is a little off. I love all of you for replying and for being as crazy about your fur babes as I am.

Ftse 100

Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
[MENTION=4573]Ftse 100[/MENTION] and all of my friends here. Not offended at all. I was humored. Typed words never seem to have the smiles attached that they deserve. I thought of me on the kids about things and laughed. I love this group and the different personalities attached. I don't get offended easily, but sometimes my humor is a little off. I love all of you for replying and for being as crazy about your fur babes as I am.

:coolthumb:

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
When we got Ruthie, knowing she was a puppy mill dog and abused, we knew there was a possibility of health issues. It wasn't even a question when we got her and then 2 years later she started having seizures and is on phenobarbital....now she has dry eye along with a few other issues. We don't have it nearly as bad as some other bully parents, but, hey...she's our baby and she is gonna get sick. We said in the vet yesterday once we learned about her dry eye...not an ounce of us would give her back even knowing the problems we have with her. Even with Ruthie's health issues, we adopted another named Brutus. He's super healthy now, but down the road...maybe not. All that matters is what we do with the time that we have them!!!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
There are quite a few healthy bulldogs and there are some with multiple issues. One has to do the best one can and research the line and if the breeder has health certs and OFA cerfs to back up the sire and dam then that's a plus too. Any dog breed can injure themselves or get sick but EB's are notorious for health issues but as I mentioned some are quite healthy. Bulldogs are pretty high maintenance compared to some breeds and all the preventative care one can grant pays off but I have noticed that some, because bulldogs are so winsome and we get so attached and knowing the possible issues that some people get paranoid and almost to a point get too worked up about some things that may be normal ebb and flow. Give your bully plenty of love and attention and tend to its basic health needs and maintenance and the rest you have to deal with it when or if an issue arises. Concern is responsible, worry is unproductive as we all know, but I worry too if that is any consolation. I think it comes with the territory somewhat

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.