Puppy having diarrhea

BullyB

Sep 23, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Bunker
So our new EB puppy (10 weeks tom) is starting to have some pretty liquidy diarrhea. He was having softer stools (more mousse looking) when we first got him. We did the gradual food switch...the breeder was giving him IAMS...so we had some of that and mixed it with Fromm Salmon and veg over the first week. He has now been fully on Fromm for the past day or so. His stools in the morning are slightly more mousse looking, but then throughout the day become liquidy (it honestly looks like steak sauce). I have been told that when you switch foods, you need to wait a bit for the puppy's stomach to adjust....but how long do you wait? Thanks for the help!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
It will take a while for you to see the full effects of the switch over from IAMS to the Fromm. So I wouldn't give up hope on the Fromm just yet. There will be others on here who are going to give you some really good advice. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] will be able to give you some good info. It may even be worth trying the bland diet for a day or two to see if that will clear up his upset stomach before moving him back to the Fromm.

How is his health generally? Is he still playing normally and looking healthy?

Has Bruno had all his stool sample tests done? Could it be giardia or some other intestinal parasite that is giving him the diahorrea??

Just some other thoughts that sprung to mind ......

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is VERY common for a puppy to get diarrhea for several reasons. At this point I do not think it is the food, (but it could be) although the food change may be only making the initial problem worse and causing stomach upset too.

Whenever you get a new puppy, the first thing on your to do list should be getting a fecal done by your vet. Even if you are not having problems with diarrhea, get one done anyway. Almost every puppy I have bought has had either worms or coccidia. There is no real signs of this except for swollen looking belly and diarrhea. Molly had worms but her poo was not soft so go figure. Otherwise they are playful and happy just like a puppy should be. And they will be hungry. Very hungry. But all bully pups are, so that you can throw out the window.

Almost all puppies have internal parasite, coccidia and worms, and if not treated by the breeder (lets face it, not all breeders take care of it as they should). Depending on the cleanliness of the kennel there can also be giardia or worse.

So if you have not yet, get your pup to the vet and have a fecal done. You can bring some :poo: with you to make it easier, just grab a ziplock bag, turn it inside out, and then put it on as a glove. Scoop up as much of the poo as you can grab, and then reverse the bag off your hand and seal shut.

OP
BullyB

BullyB

Sep 23, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Bunker
Thanks for the info. We took Bunker to the vet on the 24th with a stool sample. He had tapeworms, but no evidence of gardia at the moment. The tapeworm appears to be gone, now just the liquidy stool. We are taking him to the vet again on the 8th, and bringing another stool sample. He does appear to have a bloated belly...so maybe it's coccidia then? He is still playful, appears hungry, and seems to be acting okay...just sleeps quite a bit, but I think I remember Bruno sleeping a lot when he was a little pup. Plus, I think playing with Bruno wears Bunker out I'm sure.

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Jozi turned 8 weeks today. When we first got
her she had perfect poo. Now its a little less than
perfect not quit mousse. I just wrote it off as this
busy time of year. We have only had her for a week
now and she has traveled from here and back and twice
again.

We are tryin to get her back on a pretty good schedule.
Hoping that will get her back to normal. Once she settles
into a routine we will be switching her off Iams as well.

I guess what I'm trying to say is with some dogs
nerves will effect them a lot. New people coming
around, going new places stuff like that.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes nerves could be a cause also. Curious to see what happens next week at the vet. If it is just random canned pumpkin can help with the runny/soft poos also. 1 tbsp a day should help with it but if there is an underlying cause it may not. It is so good for them that it cant hurt to give it a try anyhow. Oh and make sure it is 100% canned pumpkin, not the pie mixture. Usually is sold on the canned veggies aisle at the store.

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
I would personally add pro-biotics to the diet. The good belly bacteria may help to firm the stools.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
[MENTION=1244]BullyB[/MENTION], just watch him closely. This is exactly how it was for my Bella. Soft serve stools that sometimes got real runny. Here are some questions to think about. 1. what color are the stools? are they darker in color or a yellowish or grayish color? 2. Is he extremely hungry regardless of the fact you feed him a lot and often? 3. is he loosing weight at all? 4. Lethargic?

Please watch him carefully. My Bella went through 3 months of the vets thinking worms, tape worms, medication after medications and still lost a lot of weight, heart rate decreased and we almost lost her until she was diagnosed with Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. EPI for short. If you want to read more please go to Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

and please keep me posted, I check rescues and numerous blogs to locate dogs with this disease, it is so rare and so extremely rare in "off litters" (99% are German Shepards) and even rarer in puppies, but my Bella was one of those 1/1million. I know there are more out there.

melindaregner

Jan 5, 2011
Hi guys! I'm Melinda newbie in this forum.

I would like to ask you guys about the dogs diarrhea. What are your immediate actions in this situation of your puppies?

Thank you guys.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1679]melindaregner[/MENTION] Welcome to the group!! Look forward to seeing lots of pics of your pup.

Could you give a little more information ... how old your bullie is? How bad is the diaohorrea? What do you feed? Have you already been to the vets with the poop samples etc All that kind of stuff .....

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the info. We took Bunker to the vet on the 24th with a stool sample. He had tapeworms, but no evidence of gardia at the moment. The tapeworm appears to be gone, now just the liquidy stool. We are taking him to the vet again on the 8th, and bringing another stool sample. He does appear to have a bloated belly...so maybe it's coccidia then? He is still playful, appears hungry, and seems to be acting okay...just sleeps quite a bit, but I think I remember Bruno sleeping a lot when he was a little pup. Plus, I think playing with Bruno wears Bunker out I'm sure.

If you got treatment for tapeworms but did not retreat them 10 days later than the eggs will hatch thus bringing the tapeworms back to the body. The deworming must be done every 10 days (or whatever the bottle says from the manufacturer), there is no one dose treatment that I am aware of? So my guess would be the worms are back. You will not see them in the stool if they are alive, they pretty much only come out when they are dead. @bully b

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1679]melindaregner[/MENTION] the only immediate thing you can do is canned pumpkin (not pie filling) or bland diet but if the diarrhea is bad you will want to find out if it is a parasite or bacteria by bringing a stool sample to your vet.

OP
BullyB

BullyB

Sep 23, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Bunker
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]:

Before we brought him in to the vet on the 24th, we actually saw the worms in his stool (still brought in a stool sample), and they put him on some meds. Bunker still had worms in his stool for the next day or so, but since then has had none. Do you know if they will be able to tell if it is tapeworms again from a stool sample, even if no worms are present? When he had the tapeworms before, his stool was like soft serve/mousse, but now it is straight liquid. Glad we take him in on the 8th...want to get this figured out! Thanks for your help!

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
We are having the exact same issue with Belly. When she came home with us her poo was fine..after a few days really runny. She's going to the vet today with the baggie in tow to see if she has any issues. Supposedly we have her on the same food as the breeder which I would like to get her off of when she is a little older. She's on Eukanuba small breed puppy food and is almost 9 weeks old. When we switched our bully Cassie over to Royal Canine Bulldog she never again had tear stains or issues with her wrinkles.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.