So Ida HATES getting her wrinkles washed!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I decided to get going on my "Bully New Year's Resolution" to wash faces EVERYDAY! Neither of my girls are fond of the process, but Ida hates it so much, she'll go hide in her crate to try to get out of it, especially when I use the Stridex pad. Her red face is looking much better, I used anti-biotic ointment on her a couple days and it's better. So how long does it take to get them used to this? I've read that some Bullies LOVE their "spa time", but right now it's a major fight. I can't imagine them ever loving it!

BullyB

Sep 23, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Bunker
Bruno doesn't love getting his face wrinkles cleaned, but we have set up a routine where we do it right away in the morning...before he goes outside and eats breakfast (I even try to do it sometimes when he is just starting to wake up, because he is still so sleepy that he will lay there for me pretty nicely). But, I think the routine helps because he knows that when we get done cleaning his face, he gets to go outside and then eat. That's the best advice I have for ya! Hope it gets easier!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Maggie isn't too fond of her "spa" time either ... so I peel a nice big carrot whilst she's watching. Then I place the carrot where she can see it, and get out the baby wipes and the cotton pads to dry the wrinkles with. Then next to that I place the cream for her nose, so that she now has a long line of "spa-treatments" and a carrot all in full view. The temptation of the carrot usually helps and she stays put.

After saying that, we do sometimes have a little "game" where she will wait until I have the baby wipe in my hand and then she runs off. Maggie then expects to be chased a bit around the room because it's a game. She runs with her head up real high, and her little butt wiggling along as she trots so it's obvious she's not really trying to get away ... she just loves the chase!!! :luv:

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester is a good boy when it comes to getting his face washed (now, don't be jealous..this is about the ONLY time he is a good boy :down: ) Since we've done it from day 1... he is just used to it.. he eats in the morning..goes outside..then sits on the floor by my husband for the "baby wipes/cornstarch powder" routine :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stiggy doesn't mind it too much either. But then again, half the time he's half asleep. We clean his wrinkles in the evening before we go to bed.

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I'm doing the face washing in the evening too. If I tried it in the morning, when they're really bouncing off the walls, it would be a disaster for sure!

layea

Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Tessa and Remmy
Maybe you could try giving her a massage if she likes massages. My Tessa loves to have herself cleaned lol. I use the unscented non alcohol baby wipes. I not only have to clean her face wrinkles but I also do the inside of her ears and her undercarriage (for better terms). Tessa was born with a condition where her private area doesn't stick out as far as it should so she has to be wiped everyday just like a human around that area under there. Now she loves it and when she gets her ears and face done she automatically just rolls over on her back for me to wipe under there for her. Its hysterical to say the least but afterwards I always give her a massage on her belly and up and down her back. I read that bully's like to get their bodies massaged so I've always done it.

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Hmmm... not a bad idea! I'll try a massage, IF I can DRAG her out of her crate! Whenever she sees me getting the baby wipes, she RUNS for her crate, even if I'm just changing my baby granddaughter's diaper! I've started locking the crate doors so she can't get away, she even runs to Gertie's crate if hers' is locked.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Maybe you could try giving her a massage if she likes massages. My Tessa loves to have herself cleaned lol. I use the unscented non alcohol baby wipes. I not only have to clean her face wrinkles but I also do the inside of her ears and her undercarriage (for better terms). Tessa was born with a condition where her private area doesn't stick out as far as it should so she has to be wiped everyday just like a human around that area under there. Now she loves it and when she gets her ears and face done she automatically just rolls over on her back for me to wipe under there for her. Its hysterical to say the least but afterwards I always give her a massage on her belly and up and down her back. I read that bully's like to get their bodies massaged so I've always done it.

I don't get it, I hear of more dogs with my name than I do people!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
@LairP ... usually does Gracies face in the mornings. She actually is pretty good about it; squirms and moves her head side to side but doesn't fight it too much :)

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
Winston HATES it. I clean bully faces and ears every morning so you think they would be used to it.....nope. He runs from me every morning. I think thats why he hates a bath.....he is fine until its time to wash his face. He takes his paw and pushes my hand away and gives me his "serious look" :lol:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.