Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: After tail amputation care at home

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sherman
    Likes (Received)

Default After tail amputation care at home

Sherman is scheduled to have his pesky tail removed next week and we are very hopeful that he will be a much happier boy without all the infections, pain, and itching. I know many of you have experience with your bully's surgery and I was wondering if you could tell me what to expect after we bring him home. Will he be able to climb stairs, stay in his crate, get up on the furniture? Will there be a mess and should we cover our furniture? And, how long until things return to normal. I am sure I will get all this information next week, but I am a planner so I need to be prepared. Thanks!

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: After tail amputation care at home

hi @Jonel ! I hear you when you say you're a "planner"…that's how i am too. It's good to be ready and prepared and you have some great questions here re. Sherman's upcoming after-care. Finn had his tail amputation in Jan. In his case, a good portion of his corkscrew tail was removed but he still has some of his tail left…sort of like a stump. So his after care may be slightly different (not sure) in cases where the entire tail is removed. Still, the basics are the same. I made sure to put a mattress down on the living room floor so that Finn (and I and Tate) could sleep there with him as I didn't want Finn jumping up on the bed or sofa. He normally sleeps in my bed. If Sherman sleeps in his crate and that's where he is most comfy in, then i'd have him in there right away so he can rest and not aggravate the surgical area. You just don't want him jumping or running as this can loosen the stitches as well as cause other probs. He probably will be tired when you pick him up, from all the meds and the procedure itself. Finn was a little agitated b/c they had him on a Fentanyl patch which i suspected was causing the agitation. Talk to your vet about which pain meds Sherman will need to take. I took about 10 days off from work after Finn's surgery so i could make sure to be home with him and to monitor him since he's usually home alone w/Tate as i'm the only pet-parent and work outside of the house. Not sure of your situation but if you can plan to be home w/Sherman for a few days post-surgery, that would be recommended. Your vet will fill you in on how to slowly re-introduce food back as Sherman may not be hungry right away and you don't want to give him too much food at first since he may have effects from the anesthesia and can vomit. I believe Finn became more and more like himself after 4 days. I didn't have any messes to deal with but I've heard of some bulldogs having a drain when they come home and in that case, the suggestion is to have lots of towels and blankets laid around. I didn't take Finn out on walks or anything for at least 72 hours after the surgery. It's best to just have them as "relaxed" as possible but that could be challenging with our crazy bullies.

If i think of anything else, I'll add more but that's all i could think of at the moment. All the best to Sherman and you next week. I know he will do just fine and feel so much better afterwards !

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Henny has you coved.... Two other members have experience too. @Libra926 and @RaRett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sherman
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the great information. I know this is for the best but honestly as the date approaches I am getting a knot in my stomach. I work part time from home so I will be here for Shermie until he is his old self. Thanks again!

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Gizmo had it done. Mess? Some she has 2 drain tubes ... I would keep furniture stuff covered. Keep up with pain Meds, watching for infections. Their whole butt will be shaved and large incision.. I wasn't ready for that personally

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We had LOTS of seepage. So cover everything. Like Rarett said....the incision was brutal. I wasn't prepared either. We never got the fentanyl patch. We just got Rimadyl and Vegas was miserable. They added Tramadol and it was a lot better. Make sure they cover you with the pain.....because the hardest thing to watch is your baby crying.

Vegas was trying to climb on the furniture after 3 days and it was hard to keep him settled. He was only about 8 months old at the time.
    Before surgery...little nub.

-2-jpg-jpg

Day of

-9-jpg

5 days after

-5-days-surgery-jpg

16 days after

-16-days-surgery-jpg

18 weeks after

-18-weeks-surgery-jpg

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
    Likes (Received)

I adopted Gypsy about a week and a half after her tail was amputated so my experience is a bit different.

Either the day before or the day I picked her up, her foster mom removed the stitches. There was never any seepage (sp?) and she wasn't bothered by it at all. She's doesn't get up on the furniture but she didn't have any issues with the steps going in and out of the house.

Honestly, I was surprised at how much she had healed in the short amount of time between surgery and adoption.

Ami

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sherman
    Likes (Received)

Today we are picking up Sherman from the hospital for the second time. He did not handle the surgery well. Kinda went bonkers running all around, hiding, was in a lot of pain. They put him on additional meds for pain and infection. He still has draining from the incision. It's been almost 6 days, how long does that last? Hopefully this time returning home will be better.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I'm sorry I don't have any experience with tail amputation or tail pockets, as my guys don't have a tail pocket, but you have been given great information from above members, and they seem to have you covered as to what to expect. I just wanted to wish Sherman a good surgery, and hope he has an easy and quick recovery. I hope he gets relief from his infections and discomfort. Sending positive thoughts, love hugs and prayers your way.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Jonel, i'm sorry that Sherman was having a tough time with the surgery. As far as the drainage goes, i don't have experience with that one but @Libra926 might be able to give you more insight on it. Hopefully the vet will give Sherman the pain meds he needs so he's comfy during the recovery stages.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonel View Post
    Today we are picking up Sherman from the hospital for the second time. He did not handle the surgery well. Kinda went bonkers running all around, hiding, was in a lot of pain. They put him on additional meds for pain and infection. He still has draining from the incision. It's been almost 6 days, how long does that last? Hopefully this time returning home will be better.
    He should have been okay by now. In my experience....the pain meds were the only thing to keep him calm that first day. We had to go back for an additional pain med (tramadol, which isn't even really a narcotic) but it helped him out a lot. He was always calm as you can see in the photos above. He really wanted to climb on the furniture by the 3rd day....but after the seepage stopped (3 to 4 days that I can remember) all was well.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sherman
    Likes (Received)

Thanks all. Sherman is home a doing better. He has some bleeding but it's from a wound under his stitches. Guess he rubbed against something. Not sure. Hopefully that will heal up and he can mend. Pain is much better and redness is going away. Doc told us he started to poop in the middle of surgery. Not exactly sterile, so that could have been a factor too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads