agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
So, a bit of an update. Sherman is back at Penn. A couple of days ago he started bleeding really bad, although the stitches were intact. He was taken back in surgery and he had a very serious puss pocket under his incision. They cleaned it out and cultured and Sherman is in the open wound area. They sedate him every day and clean it out again. They will stitch him back up when infection is completely gone. He could be at the hospital for 5 or more days. They said that because Sherman has been treated so often with antibiotics for his tail pocket infections it is possible that a lot of the meds will be useless in fighting off the bacteria. They are optimistic about a good outcome but seriously this has been so stressful.

Your poor baby. Hopefully he ll be on the mend soon x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm sorry for this news and your worry for your beloved Sherman.

Will be praying hard for him and sending hugs of comfort to you.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sending prayers for recovery to Sherman. Poor baby :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I've heard of that happening often with small children and antibiotics.....Ugh! What a crappy crappy outcome! So sorry this is happening to Sherman. I hope things start to look up soon and he's back to his normal self real soon!

OP
Jonel

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Well I thought I'd post an update. I have to say the past 2 weeks have been the most stressful of my life. Sherman is back at the hospital for the 3rd time. I knew something was really wrong one day after the surgery. Finally, after days of trying to convince the docs that Sherman had a horrible infection, they had to reopen his incision and he was filled with puss. He has tested positive for a resistant strain of E. Coli. They had to keep the site open and he will continue to be hospitalized until they can rid him of the infection. Only then, will they close him back up. We went to the best vet hospital on the East Coast, and this happened. We are nervous wrecks about his condition and the cost of all of this is climbing by the minute. Please send good thought to our little guy!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well I thought I'd post an update. I have to say the past 2 weeks have been the most stressful of my life. Sherman is back at the hospital for the 3rd time. I knew something was really wrong one day after the surgery. Finally, after days of trying to convince the docs that Sherman had a horrible infection, they had to reopen his incision and he was filled with puss. He has tested positive for a resistant strain of E. Coli. They had to keep the site open and he will continue to be hospitalized until they can rid him of the infection. Only then, will they close him back up. We went to the best vet hospital on the East Coast, and this happened. We are nervous wrecks about his condition and the cost of all of this is climbing by the minute. Please send good thought to our little guy!

OMG -- so sorry your boy is going through all this. Prayers being sent that he is healed up quick!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So very sorry to hear about what you and your boy are going through. Many prayers are being said:pray:for you all, by everyone on EBN. I know how worried you must be-it is so stressful. My heart goes out to you and poor little Sherman.:heart: GOD Bless Sherman and give him strength to get well soon.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OMG I'm so sorry to hear about Sherman… I hope that they get the infection cleared up soon!!! I understand your frustration w/vets, I have been there… Sending lots of hugs and prayers. Please keep us posted :pray:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This is so awful, I cannot imagine your stress and worry! I will be sending much love and prayers to you and Sherman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh no!! thinking of you guys and sweet Sherman. Wishing for the very best outcome [MENTION=9213]Jonel[/MENTION]. I'm so sorry this is happening but let's hope and pray he will be fully healed soon.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Just infuriating, when poor lil Sherman is finally recovering properly, if
the Vet & Hospital doesn't offer major discounting of bill, I'd insist on it!
Will be praying they do the right & ethical thing by y'all and continuing to
pray for sweet baby boy. Just so very sorry this is happening :( Please
try to stay positive and get pope rest when possible, I know it's difficult to
do while worried & upset...you have a right to be! Huge hugs 'n kisses <3

OP
Jonel

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Sherman is finishing up his last but of the antibiotics that could eliminate the E. Coli. We take him back to Penn this afternoon. He is very very fatigued so now I am concerned about side effects. We have been paying a Vet Tech to come over twice a day to do Sherman's injections. His tail area looks like it's healing well but impossible to know what's going on inside. He is still not the Sherman we know and hope in a few days that his old personality returns. This has been a nightmare. Still have the $7000 plus bill to fight. If things don't get better soon, I'm going to need to be medicated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sherman is finishing up his last but of the antibiotics that could eliminate the E. Coli. We take him back to Penn this afternoon. He is very very fatigued so now I am concerned about side effects. We have been paying a Vet Tech to come over twice a day to do Sherman's injections. His tail area looks like it's healing well but impossible to know what's going on inside. He is still not the Sherman we know and hope in a few days that his old personality returns. This has been a nightmare. Still have the $7000 plus bill to fight. If things don't get better soon, I'm going to need to be medicated.

OMG!!! what a nightmare is right..... please keep us posted and continued prayers are heading your way!

BuddercupKelly

Jan 5, 2014
Citrus County, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I'm curious to find out if any of you have exprerienced your dog having constant diarrhea after the surgery? When I was younger (40 years ago), my mom's dog's tail amputation was horrible so I would never even think to have Dozer's tail done. However, listening to you all makes me think twice as Dozer has horrible itching and I am constantly (4X a day, at least) cleaning under his tail. It is really tight and most people think he doesn't even have a tail. Any thoughts?

Most Reactions