Another question on allergies

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
So yet again I needed to go away for business and left Curly in the care of my husband. He's not quite on top of things as I am and I can home last week to Curly with a broken out back.

Pollen is bad right now so we are assuming it is seasonal allergies and I also gave him flea medication because the husband slacked on that front. We determined that the allergies are not from fleas because he developed another bump (not a hive) 48 hours after administering the flea med.

We've been giving him benedryl which has helped with the itching but his skin is a bit dried out where his back broke out. Best way to describe it is as backne...but it's like a bump made out of dry skin.

I gave him a bath using prescribed anti-yeast and bacterial shampoo about a week ago. He was last bathed over a month ago and he was extra oily before this bath.

All in all I think we have the situation under control now that I'm home but I was wondering if there was anything that we can do to prevent the fur from falling out? His skin is so imbalanced now - I'm wondering if we should include fish oil pills into his diet. Would that help?

I've tried taking a pic of what we are dealing with but the lighting is bad. While it looks bumpy, it's just the missing fur. He only has one bump on him and that has a bunch of dry skin attached to the base. I haven't brushed it out because he will have yet another missing patch of fur...

y9yma6es.jpg
nezesu3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Finn gets this sometimes too…in various parts of his body. Right now he has a small area on the top of his head that is bumpy and looks similar to Curly's bottom picture. Not sure on the fish oil pill but many peeps here add some salmon oil. I've rubbed coconut oil on the coat to help soften it up and i also give them an occasional spoonful in their food. Not sure if I've really noticed benefits though as these skin issues just seem to come and go and has a lot to do with Finn playing in the dirt and grass. Hopefully you'll get better feedback than what i'm giving you here but just wanted to share my similar experience.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes on the salmon oil or the fish oil pills this is specifically why we put Buster on it. He used to get little patches of missing fur and once he got on the salmon oil routine it disappeared.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Same her.... fish oil pills 1200mg once a day

Are there any scabs or sore in those areas?

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Thanks! I'm going to get him on a a routine ASAP. I suspect he has a salmon allergy so I'm going with the fish oil.

No scabs or sores, just dry skin. Before it dries out its a bump but it's not oozing - kind of like a bug bite so it might of been fleas.

How long do you think it will take before we see results? 1 months?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with everyone regarding the fish oils. My female Blossom is also allergic to chicken and salmon, so we give her cod liver oil, but you can also use Krill oil, although this is more expensive, or coconut oil is also a great source of Omega oils. Another thing you can add to the kibble is a Tbsp of plain unsweetened yogurt once a day, the probiotics are good for digestion, and also boost the immune system which will help him to fight allergies. We also add 1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar to the drinking water everyday, there are a lot of health benefits to ACV for both humans and pets. ACV is a natural anti inflammatory, so is good for the joints and for arthritis, it is also a natural antiseptic, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so boosts the immune system, and it balances the Ph levels of the blood. All of these things are natural and I expensive so I feel good about adding them to their food everyday to help boost their health.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Thanks for the tips! Our frenchie mix is allergic to ACV so we avoid it in our house but we will def try with the other suggestions we haven't tried already

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
We started the fish oil pills a few days ago and I thought I would need to coat it in peanut butter to give it to him. Nope I accidentally dropped it in front of him the first day and he gobbled it up. Now it's his treat after his first walk. He isn't getting anymore missing spots of fur right now but we aren't sure if it's from the pills at this point or if the allergens that were making him breakout are just dying down. Regardless I'm just happy it's so easy to give him the pill :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online