Help Needed! Should i use surgery to correct my dogs cherry eye?

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Hi all, my 6 month old bulldog has a cherry eye, and it looks quite large. I have watched videos and read forums about massage etc but nothing seems to work. I have him booked in for tacking operation this coming Monday, but i would love to avoid this if possible. Any other suggestions anyone?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus had cherry eye in both eyes at 3 months old. At first we could massage them back in, but eventually they don't go back in. We tried to tuck them and the right eye held, but a few days after the procedure the left popped again. The vet rcut back the lining and we haven't had any more problems. We haven't had any dry eye problems either. Good luck.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Jason, my female Blossom also developed cherry eye in her right eye at the age of 5 months old. We were able to massage it back in for a little while, but then eventually it wouldn't stay in anymore, especially when she ran or played. We kept the eye moist with Refresh eye drops from the drugstore, so her eye wouldn't get dried out or irritated. We opted to have her eyes repaired at the same time as her spay surgery, which we did at 7 months of age, to avoid having to put her under anesthetic twice. Unfortunately a week after her surgeries, the left eye also popped out, and a month later she had to have a second surgery to repair the cherry eye in the other eye. Our vet doesn't cut out the eyelid, she tacks it back in, and she has her own technique that she uses that has a very high success rate. She had the surgery 19 months ago, and we are very happy with the results, her eyes look beautiful, and she doesn't suffer from dry eye. You would never know she had surgery on her eyes.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION] might be able to help too... she is in the UK and had this procedure done to her girl Lily

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse developed cherry eye at four months in one eye and we had them tacked back in at five months and his surgery was a success that was two years ago and Ftse is fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.