Feb 24, 2014
Dallas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maruko
Help!! Is this allergy or skin problem?

Hi everyone!

Maruko recently developed scratching and paw licking symptoms, so I took her to the vet, they told me it's allergy and prescribed Benadryl and some wipes. I have been giving her twice a day for more than a week now, it did help with the licking problem, but still scratching and I noticed some hair loss and red spots on her body that didn't exist before.

I'm just wondering if this is still allergy symptom? And it's getting worse? I have been reading allergy posts here but I'm so new to bulldog, and have a hard time to determine the problem.

I'm feeding her Fromm puppy gold, first month after switching to this food she was fine, so I figured it's probably not caused by chicken. So maybe its just because its allergy season?

Speaking from your experience, what do you recommend to do?

Thank you in advance!!!

6anypy4e.jpg

judu7u7a.jpg

7uhymude.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Looks like a food allergy. We also feed FROMM Puppy Gold, and had a pup that didn't do very well on it, so we switched her to FROMM Pork and Peas and she did well on it. FROMM 4 star foods are an all stage food and can be given to pups. You can also take the puppy food back if the bag is pretty full, and get your money back.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
yes if its a food allergy maybe switch to a grain free food. I did notice when I was feeding jovi grains her white turned pink like that and now she is grain free and its white.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
totally agree with the others... allergies. I would lean toward the food... as David suggested, maybe switch her to a different Fromm

OP
Maruko

Maruko

Feb 24, 2014
Dallas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maruko
Thank you all for your replies! @2BullyMama @xxaprilrose @Davidh .

I will switch her food to Fromm 4 star right away see if it helps. I just came back home from a business trip, so sad that I couldn't be with her during these days. I came home this week noticed one of her red spot got larger and there's a patch of hair loss in the area. I did some research on hot spot, but this doesn't seem like it as it's not getting worse rapidly. I have been using douxo to clean the area and applying gold bond on it. It's getting controlled but not healing as fast.

What's your suggestion on this?

Thank you so much!!

IMG_2620.jpg

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I to will say food allergies. Dooley did not do well on the Fromm puppy for a different reason than you I believe. He is allergic to chicken and was making him go #2 several times a day. Id pull the ole switch-a-roo on the puppy food and go straight to the all stages food.

Good luck!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Jennifer, I also agree with everyone that this is a food allergy. My female Blossom is also mostly white in colour, and she is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains. When we got her from the breeder, she was on Royal Canin, and I switched her food to Go Natural, which gave her the same symptoms of pink face, itchiness, pink warm ears, rash on chin, and paw licking. At the time I didn't know that chicken was a protein that a lot of bullies are allergic or sensitive to, we switched to Fromm's Puppy, and she had the same symptoms, some switched to Fromm's Beef Frittata, she's been on this food for 21 months, and is doing really well on it, no more symptoms, and her poops are firm but soft, and she usually goes 2x a day. We also add 1 Tbsp. of plain yogurt to the morning kibble, the probiotics are good for the digestion, and also boost the immune system, which helps them with allergies.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you all for your replies! @2BullyMama @xxaprilrose @Davidh .

I will switch her food to Fromm 4 star right away see if it helps. I just came back home from a business trip, so sad that I couldn't be with her during these days. I came home this week noticed one of her red spot got larger and there's a patch of hair loss in the area. I did some research on hot spot, but this doesn't seem like it as it's not getting worse rapidly. I have been using douxo to clean the area and applying gold bond on it. It's getting controlled but not healing as fast.

What's your suggestion on this?

Thank you so much!!

View attachment 70215

is the area moist or kind of seepy?

OP
Maruko

Maruko

Feb 24, 2014
Dallas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maruko
Re: Help!! Is this allergy or skin problem?

[MENTION=3839]4WHLN[/MENTION] [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] thank you for your inputs!! It's so hard to tell if it's the season or just food.. I'll head to the store first thing in the morning tomorrow for the 4stage Fromm. I hope it will get better!

OP
Maruko

Maruko

Feb 24, 2014
Dallas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maruko
Re: Help!! Is this allergy or skin problem?

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] she has four similar spots on her. All are dime size. They are not particularly moist or watery. But the one spot on her arm as shown in picture is the largest and I did see very tiny yellow spots, seems like infection discharge but is dried when I found out. After applying duoxo on it, never had yellow discharge again. I'm planning on taking her to the vet, but I wanna get an idea first.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.