Help Needed! Cystinuria - Need help with diet, etc!

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Hi everyone! I posted on here a few weeks ago about Barkley having surgery to remove bladder stones and that we found out they were Cystine. The vet recommended Hills UD food to help prevent them from coming back. He has been on Fromm Pork and Peas for about the last year and has been doing great on it and I hate having to switch him from a good food to such a crappy one. I have went ahead and switched him to the Hills for now until I can figure something else out and have already noticed his coat becoming more coarse and rough feeling.

I have read that this prescription diet hasn't really been shown to help with the Cystine stones but that neutering has been shown to prevent the stones in EB's. Barkley had just gotten neutered a few weeks before we found out he had the stones, so I'm wondering if that could help in preventing them now?

Also, I've seen people saying they started feeding a raw diet instead, but can't find any info on what exactly they are feeding, how much, etc.

I know there aren't many people on here that are familiar with this condition but I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out! I did a search and found some older posts and PMed that person, but it looks like they may no longer use the forum anymore. I have also been trying to research on the Yahoo group, but it is very confusing and difficult to navigate to find the info I need!

Thanks so much!! :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Unfortunately those yahoo groups are the best I know. My boy has hyperuricosuria and the requirements are a bit different, so I can't give you most acurate info you need.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Cystine crystals are flat colorless plates and have a characteristic hexagonal shape with equal or unequal sides. They often aggregate in layers. Their formation is favored in acidic urine.
Cystine crystalluria or urolithiasis is an indication of cystinuria, which is an inborn error of metabolism involving defective renal tubular reabsorption of certain amino acids including cystine. Sex-linked inheritance is suspected since male dogs are almost exclusively affected. Many breeds, as well as mongrels, have been reported affected . Renal function otherwise appears to be normal and, aside from a tendency to form uroliths, the defect is without serious consequence.

Q: How can I prevent my dog from developing cystine bladder stones in the future?

A: Dogs that have developed cystine bladder stones in the past will often be fed a therapeutic diet for life. Diets that promote alkaline urine that is more dilute are recommended. Most dogs should be fed a canned or wet diet to encourage water consumption. Dilute urine with a low urine specific gravity (USpG less than 1.020) is an important part of the prevention of calcium oxalate bladder stones. In certain cases, medications such as n-(mercaptoropionyl)-glycine (2-MPG) (Thiola[SUP]TM[/SUP]) may be required. Urinary alkalinizers may be needed to maintain an alkaline urine ph of greater than 7.5. In addition, careful routine monitoring of the urine to detect any signs of bacterial infection is also recommended. Bladder x-rays and urinalysis will typically be performed one month after treatment and then every three to six months for life. Dogs displaying any clinical signs such as frequent urinations, urinating in unusual places, painful urination or the presence of blood in the urine should be evaluated immediatelycystine out of other amino acids (methionine) if the diet is deficient in cystine. So, we will always have to be concerned with how best to rid the body of the cystine
that cannot be reabsorbed. Of course it also makes sense that feeding the lowest cystine-containing sources of foods is a smart thing to do; we just can’t expect toeliminate cystine from the diet completely.

GOAL OF DIETARY MODIFICATION
There are many types of urine stones that can develop in people and animals. Cystine stones behave differently from other types
of urinary stones (for example, struvite) in that they tend to form when their environment (the urine) is acidic (low pH). Therefore, the goal in modifying the diet of an affected individual is to alkalinize, or raise, the pH of the urine. This creates an environment where
the excess cystine will be less likely to form into stones, and more likely to be excreted as part of the urine solution.

How can we control the pH of the urine?
Well, the pH is largely influenced by the diet consumed. Generally speaking, high-protein diets, based on large quantities
of meats, lead to acidic urine. Low-protein diets, based more on plant materials, lead to alkaline urine. The ideal diet is designed
to balance the proportions of meat and vegetables, such that the dogs’ requirement for protein is met, but not vastly exceeded.
Another way to trick the urine into becoming more alkaline is to use what are called buffering agents. These are substances that
will react in the digestive system and internal organs, to de-acidify, or "buffer" the urine components. This results in maintaining the pH at a higher level, thereby preventing stone formation. The most common buffer is plain old baking soda (sodium
bicarbonate). Some special forms of vitamin C also serve to help control the urine pH. Unfortunately, cystine stones have a high rate of recurrence, despite careful attention to diet and lifestyle.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Unfortunately those yahoo groups are the best I know. My boy has hyperuricosuria and the requirements are a bit different, so I can't give you most acurate info you need.

It is so frustrating! Every time I try to start a New Topic or reply to a message on there, it doesn't show up! I don't get it!! Grrrrr....haha

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no knowledge of this, but wanted to wish you the best of luck finding something that works.... have you looked into Honest Kitchen ?

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
I have no knowledge of this, but wanted to wish you the best of luck finding something that works.... have you looked into Honest Kitchen ?

Thanks! :) I've been trying to look at several different pre-packaged raw food but I'm just so confused with what he should be eating since it's said they need a low protein diet...however, I also read that in EB's it is testosterone dependent and if you get them neutered then you don't have to worry about the diet. It's all so confusing and there isn't a whole lot of good info out there!

He has an appt at the vet on Sat to have his urine tested so I will try and ask the vet what he thinks of these options but I'm thinking he's just going to keep suggesting the Hills food :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks! :) I've been trying to look at several different pre-packaged raw food but I'm just so confused with what he should be eating since it's said they need a low protein diet...however, I also read that in EB's it is testosterone dependent and if you get them neutered then you don't have to worry about the diet. It's all so confusing and there isn't a whole lot of good info out there!

He has an appt at the vet on Sat to have his urine tested so I will try and ask the vet what he thinks of these options but I'm thinking he's just going to keep suggesting the Hills food :(

yep -- he will just push the hill's cause that is all he knows.... vets are not that knowledgeable on food/nutrition, they just do not have the time to spend on it. do you have a holistic vet near you that might be able to help?

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
yep -- he will just push the hill's cause that is all he knows.... vets are not that knowledgeable on food/nutrition, they just do not have the time to spend on it. do you have a holistic vet near you that might be able to help?

I haven't looked into those before but that's a great idea! I'll have to do some looking/calling around! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jenny Christensen

Jun 27, 2016
Hi everyone! I posted on here a few weeks ago about Barkley having surgery to remove bladder stones and that we found out they were Cystine. The vet recommended Hills UD food to help prevent them from coming back. He has been on Fromm Pork and Peas for about the last year and has been doing great on it and I hate having to switch him from a good food to such a crappy one. I have went ahead and switched him to the Hills for now until I can figure something else out and have already noticed his coat becoming more coarse and rough feeling.

I have read that this prescription diet hasn't really been shown to help with the Cystine stones but that neutering has been shown to prevent the stones in EB's. Barkley had just gotten neutered a few weeks before we found out he had the stones, so I'm wondering if that could help in preventing them now?

Also, I've seen people saying they started feeding a raw diet instead, but can't find any info on what exactly they are feeding, how much, etc.

I know there aren't many people on here that are familiar with this condition but I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out! I did a search and found some older posts and PMed that person, but it looks like they may no longer use the forum anymore. I have also been trying to research on the Yahoo group, but it is very confusing and difficult to navigate to find the info I need!

Thanks so much!! :)

Hello, I completely understand what you are going through. My poor Crowley a 2 year old bulldog had the same thing happen to him a few weeks ago and had to have emergency surgery to remove the stones. The test came back and they said that they were cystine stones. Have you had any luck in treatment. I have my trying to find food/medication to treat this. We also got him fixed when he had his bladder stone surgery stones removed. Have you had any luck and did the stones reoccur?

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Hello, I completely understand what you are going through. My poor Crowley a 2 year old bulldog had the same thing happen to him a few weeks ago and had to have emergency surgery to remove the stones. The test came back and they said that they were cystine stones. Have you had any luck in treatment. I have my trying to find food/medication to treat this. We also got him fixed when he had his bladder stone surgery stones removed. Have you had any luck and did the stones reoccur?

I'm so sorry to hear Crowley had to go through this too! It's been over 2 years now since we had the bladder stones removed and Barkley has been great ever since! We did feed him the frozen raw patties for awhile but he's been back on regular kibble for the last year or so and has been just fine. We also moved to Houston a few months after the bladder stone surgery and our new vet here, who is an amazing bully vet, said the same thing about neutering preventing them from re-occurring and that diet isn't going to help. So I think Crowley should be just fine now since you got him fixed too! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.