Frank is at the emergency vet - so worried

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Just catching up on this. Sending so many prayers your way!! Hoping that the next post is good news! We are all here for you!!

OP
Biogirl71

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
He wasn't quite alert when we saw him because he was coughing up a bunch of mucous right before we came and started coughing more stressfully, so they gave him a light sedative to calm him down so he is still coughing stuff up but not as violently. He did seem to respond when we talked to him and rubbed his ears.

I am hoping beyond anything that he does well through the night. I feel that might give him a stronger chance. I just want him to be done with coughing up all the stuff so he can breathe easier and be up and alert.

Does anyone have experience with bulldogs coming off ventilation and sedation? I am just worried about his coughing. The vet said it is good to get rid of it, but it seems to be so hard on Frank to try and cough it up.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He wasn't quite alert when we saw him because he was coughing up a bunch of mucous right before we came and started coughing more stressfully, so they gave him a light sedative to calm him down so he is still coughing stuff up but not as violently. He did seem to respond when we talked to him and rubbed his ears.

I am hoping beyond anything that he does well through the night. I feel that might give him a stronger chance. I just want him to be done with coughing up all the stuff so he can breathe easier and be up and alert.

Does anyone have experience with bulldogs coming off ventilation and sedation? I am just worried about his coughing. The vet said it is good to get rid of it, but it seems to be so hard on Frank to try and cough it up.

I have no experience with something like this.... i wish I did so i could help you somehow! [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] might be able to shed some light

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm sorry but I've never had any coughing after any type of sedation, this could be due to the inflammation and aspiration though. He may be working the fluid out of his lungs so I agree, that is good. Kinda like when you swallow water and it goes into the wrong pipe, it's hard to recover and clear it out, it's downright awful. When they aspirate, that's what they have done is swallow it into the wrong pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Coming in to see the update on Frank - I've been worried too. Glad that you got to see him and I really hope he'll be home soon. Get Well Soon Frank! sending hugs!!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Aspiration is always a serious, dangerous situation and difficult to treat.
From my limited knowledge, Frank is doing a great job altho is still very
ill.

I believe in him, I believe in his parents, I believe in our member's prayers.
Most of all, I believe in GOD's limitless Compassion, unfailing Mercy and
faithful LOVE for all humans, animals & especially, precious bulldogs.

From our lips to GOD's ear, we cry, "Abba, Father, Please bring Frank home."

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's a good thing if he's coughing it up it shows its breaking up. I am praying so hard he will be ok, this is all I can think about. Frank is a strong bully and I think seeing you helped him immensely. :heart:

OP
Biogirl71

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Thanks everyone. I know it is good to get it out of his lungs. Good thoughts and prayers for him doing well through the night. I am going to try to lay down for a bit. This day has been an emotional wreck. But it will all be worth it when he gets better and comes home.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I can't even imagine how difficult this must be. I am so glad there is encouraging news. Your vet sounds like he is just outstanding. Continued prayers for all of you

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Still praying like crazy for Frank, you and your hubby.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Just checking in… I'm glad to hear that Frank is still hanging in there. Coughing is a good sign, get it all up!!! Still sending prayers, and please try to get some rest...

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Checking in to see how Frankie is coming along, still sending prayers for Frankie to have a full recovery and come to you and your hubby.

Hope you get some rest.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Praying for Frank, hope today brings you Wonderful News and your Frank is well and ready to come home.

B

Baxter Tiberius

They gave him a steroid shot to relieve some of the inflammation. I am also curious as to how much of the inflammation is a result of being intubated/on the ventilator. I am hoping that it will decrease when he is able to breathe on his own without a ventilator.

As for warning signs, we just know his normal breathing and his normal active breathing. If it ever gets to the point where we hear a raspy sound when he breathes, we immediately stop his activity and get him to relax. This time it so quickly escalated to this wheezing combined with a horrible harsh long rasping sound as he was trying to suck in air that it instantly freaked me out because it was clearly not normal. I think just knowing what their normal breathing sounds like and when they are at their normal active state. I just wish I had caught it earlier. I didn't know this too, but someone watering out in the yard earlier and Frank was there and trying to drink from the hose. It could have been then that he aspirated water or when he was trying to drink water while panting so heavily.

The vet also mentioned body fat as being a very important factor as well. We try to keep Frank slim (I think he is about 54 pounds) but after he pulls through this, we can always try to get him slimmer. Anything so that this never happens again.

Thank you for the further information. Baxter always heads to the doggy water fountain at the park after running hard and is gulping while breathing hard. So now I am a bit concerned about that, but maybe I'll have him settle down for a few minutes before we go to the water fountain. You know how crazy they can get with things like food, and ... well everything. English bulldogs are very impulsive with things. So the gulping was probably part of that tendency. Baxter has been on wet meaty foods since I got him. When i gave him dry doggy kibble one day he didn't know how to eat it. He inhaled it like he does the wet stuff, and of course it got stuck in his throat etc. Because he wasn't taking his time chewing. The head was just "jerking" and he was inhaling it like crazy. He threw up all over the place. Only dog ive ever met that throws up simply because he doesn't take care to eat/drink properly!! Incredible. Anyways ... maybe something similar happened with the water. Hopefully some emotional calming prior to drinking will help prevent this for Bax, and maybe your guy too.

I dont necessarily think it was his weight honestly. I mean I am sure being chubby makes airways tighter. But I bet it was hyper inhaling of water while excited that maybe set it off. Intubation *definitely* causes major inflammation too. You're right about that.

-B-

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.