Frank is at the emergency vet - so worried

OP
Biogirl71

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
We just got back from seeing him at the vet. I am always glad to be able to pet him again and tell him what a good boy he is but it is so hard when he is sedated on the table hooked up to the ventilator. The vet said he is slowly improving. He is able to be on only 45% oxygen support now and is maintaining good oxygen levels in his blood with that support. He still has a lot of inflammation around his windpipe and a lot of fluid in his lungs, but the vet said that fluid has been coming up the tube and that that is a good sign.

The vet said that he was going to update us tonight and that tomorrow he is going to xray his lungs again. The vet also wants to talk to us about surgery to trim the soft palate tissue and he also mentioned something about a tracheal surgery to put a tube in? I was crying a bit so I didn't catch it all, but is anyone familiar with these procedures?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Not me but hoping someone does & shares information.

It's so difficult seeing our babies like this, my heart goes out to you.

Positive news...Yay!...Frank is fighting and he is strong & determined
to get home. Sending big hugs of strength to you <3

B

Baxter Tiberius

[MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION]

Have you asked the vet about giving him anti inflammatories? It seems strange that he would remain inflamed this long. I think there is something they can give him to help with that.

Also, stories like this scare me. Is there anything you can share that maybe would have been the warning sign? I have to keep my eye on Baxter because he runs full speed at the park, and gasps for air pretty much the whole time. I don't think I could possibly know that something has gone wrong. This is why I try to keep his body fat levels as low as possible. The doctors kept telling me that when he was a little chubby, all it did was make his trachea more "fatty" and therefore more easily closed. The lack of body fat apparently extends to all the internal organs as well, and they are free to be more "open". That's the only thing I know is important to do. Do you remember any point at which he did something that may have been a sign of problems? Or was it just panting as normal?

-B-

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
I am not familiar with the procudure, and I am on late repying to this as I have been absent all weekend from the forums but I am sending good vibes your way! Hope frank will stay good and get better. Hopefully will have a fast recovery! poor little guy. He knows you love him and is there for him, and dont beat yourself up, you were great and nobody is psychic. all that matters if you kept your eye on him and knew to look out for this. some people are very clueless. and if anything this just made everyone even more conscious about their bullys. he will pull through quick and will be home in no time <3 hang in there hun!

OP
Biogirl71

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
@Biogirl71

Have you asked the vet about giving him anti inflammatories? It seems strange that he would remain inflamed this long. I think there is something they can give him to help with that.

Also, stories like this scare me. Is there anything you can share that maybe would have been the warning sign? I have to keep my eye on Baxter because he runs full speed at the park, and gasps for air pretty much the whole time. I don't think I could possibly know that something has gone wrong. This is why I try to keep his body fat levels as low as possible. The doctors kept telling me that when he was a little chubby, all it did was make his trachea more "fatty" and therefore more easily closed. The lack of body fat apparently extends to all the internal organs as well, and they are free to be more "open". That's the only thing I know is important to do. Do you remember any point at which he did something that may have been a sign of problems? Or was it just panting as normal?

-B-

They gave him a steroid shot to relieve some of the inflammation. I am also curious as to how much of the inflammation is a result of being intubated/on the ventilator. I am hoping that it will decrease when he is able to breathe on his own without a ventilator.

As for warning signs, we just know his normal breathing and his normal active breathing. If it ever gets to the point where we hear a raspy sound when he breathes, we immediately stop his activity and get him to relax. This time it so quickly escalated to this wheezing combined with a horrible harsh long rasping sound as he was trying to suck in air that it instantly freaked me out because it was clearly not normal. I think just knowing what their normal breathing sounds like and when they are at their normal active state. I just wish I had caught it earlier. I didn't know this too, but someone watering out in the yard earlier and Frank was there and trying to drink from the hose. It could have been then that he aspirated water or when he was trying to drink water while panting so heavily.

The vet also mentioned body fat as being a very important factor as well. We try to keep Frank slim (I think he is about 54 pounds) but after he pulls through this, we can always try to get him slimmer. Anything so that this never happens again.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We just got back from seeing him at the vet. I am always glad to be able to pet him again and tell him what a good boy he is but it is so hard when he is sedated on the table hooked up to the ventilator. The vet said he is slowly improving. He is able to be on only 45% oxygen support now and is maintaining good oxygen levels in his blood with that support. He still has a lot of inflammation around his windpipe and a lot of fluid in his lungs, but the vet said that fluid has been coming up the tube and that that is a good sign.

The vet said that he was going to update us tonight and that tomorrow he is going to xray his lungs again. The vet also wants to talk to us about surgery to trim the soft palate tissue and he also mentioned something about a tracheal surgery to put a tube in? I was crying a bit so I didn't catch it all, but is anyone familiar with these procedures?

Erin -- I had two bullies (Bulldog and Frenchie)get the palate reduction and it does help a great deal... does not eliminate the issues, but lessens the stress of breathing. Nitshcke also has a very small trachea, but not so small that they felt a need to do any type of tubing.

sending many prayers to you all

OP
Biogirl71

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Update on Frank: the vet called and things are looking good. His swelling in his airways is completely gone and his lungs are nearly clear. He is still under sedation and doing well so they suggested that we have his palate shortened while he was already sedated and on the ventilator. So we agreed. They are going to perform the surgery today. I was reading that laser is the preferred method but they only do the traditional surgery with sutures there. However, they seem to be highly capable and I am hoping that he gets through this procedure safely. Especially after all he has been through already.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Great news!! I will pray until I hear he is out of surgery and recovering. I can't wait till he is home and resting with you.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Praying for Frank and you that all goes well, and he is safe and happy and back home quickly!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sending prayers to Frank, I hope the surgery goes smoothly. :pray:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
My heart sank when i read this. Fingers crossed you can get Frank home soon! sending good thoughts and tight hugs to you and Frank! and please keep us updated!

neraknna

Mar 23, 2014
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Sending prayers for successful surgery🐾

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
Also sending prayers to you and Frank for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!! :hug:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Prayers prayers and more prayers for Frank and you. I think it will make a big difference for him and he will feel so much better.. :pray::pray::pray:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh Erin, just catching up and reading through this thread. I'm so sorry but I'm so relieved that Frank is doing better!! I'm saying a prayer this morning for him and for a successful surgery. Keep us posted!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.