Lucy's eye - HELP!!!!

ClaireandMarty

May 26, 2010
Eustis, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy and Mikey
My little girl Lucy (9 years old). Woke up this morning and could not/did not open her left eye. I have been away and returned today and when I got home she just laid on her bed.... VERY unlike her. No wiggle but dance or kisses. I know something is up. Will take her to vet in the morning but this is killing me.

When she does open her eye.... it appears as if the 'bottom lid' is 1/2 way up her eye. Also her eye is tearing and a little bit of a pusy goup is coming out.

She is so lethargic and I don't know if there is anything I can do for her NOW!

Open to suggestions please!!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Is she eating or drinking?

Do you have any eye flush you could use? If not, go to a walgreens and get LUBRICATING EYE OINTMENT and EYE FLUSH. This should at least make her more comfortable until morning.

OP
C

ClaireandMarty

May 26, 2010
Eustis, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy and Mikey
She did eat dinner (I hand fed her.... :) ) I've been home since 7:30 and she has not had anything to drink.

I do not have an eye flush but I do have Tears Naturale II (articifical tears). Do you think that will be ok?

I asked husband if he saw her do anything thing... he said she went to bed fine last night and woke up that way. I'm thinking maybe she scratched her eye? If that is the case... do you still think I could put a couple of articial tears in there?

Thanks

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dont use artificial tears it will sting the eye if it is scratched.

Any chance you can give us a picture? Does it look like Cherry Eye?

OP
C

ClaireandMarty

May 26, 2010
Eustis, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy and Mikey
It is not cherry eye - I know what that is. Hers does pop out when she gets really excited but once she calms down it goes back.

I have never seen this before. OK - will not use the tears...

While I was hand feeding here I tried to take pictures of her eye... but for the most part she kept it closed. Out of the 40 pictures I took.... in all 40 of them her eye is closed. I've turned the lights down low because I think the bright lights definitely do not help.

I do have lubricating eye ointment... will put some in.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Please let us know what the vet says tomorrow. If she is squinting her one eye it is probably an ulcer or scratch. Hope all goes well.... give her a hug for us and we will be thinking about Lucy and hoping she is okay.

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
hope everythin is ok, good luck...let us know how it turned out when ya get home from the vets

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
A swollen eye won't make her lethargic though... I would take her in ASAP... I think she might have something else going on.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@Claire&Marty Hope everything is ok .. let us know what the vet said??? :*(

Last edited:
OP
C

ClaireandMarty

May 26, 2010
Eustis, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy and Mikey
This post is loooong overdue.

I did take Lucy to the vet and she had an ulcerated cornea. Very painful which would explain a lot. Doc gave me pain med and eye cream. After one week of applications she is doing great. It's been about 2 weeks now and she is 100%.

Thanks everyone!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for the update! :) Glad she is better now :luv: :up: